RE
Posted By
Ralph_Eisenberg
Oct 15, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
No problem in earlier versions (Control-Tab, or Control Shift Tab), unable to do so in CS4 on my MacIntel running 10.5.5. Trying to get acquainted with this version installed on an external drive on which my system is cloned.
And while I’m at it, there used to be a checkbox in PS CS3 preferences to launch Bridge, is it anywhere to be found?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 15, 2008
Trying to get acquainted with this version installed on an external drive on which my system is cloned.

I don’t think that you will get optimum performance doing that. Why not just install CS4 properly — you don’t have to remove earlier versions of photoshop to do that.

The Control Tab shortcut no longer works in CS4 — but check out the new Pointing-Finger icon in the Curves Adjustment Layer Panel.

Shortcuts to individual Curves have also changed: Composite is now Option 2 and subsequent ones are Option 3 and Option 4 etc..

There is a Bridge button in the top left corner of the Options Bar; and Cmd Option O also takes you straight to Bridge.
RE
Ralph_Eisenberg
Oct 15, 2008
Thank you, Anne, for your response. If by pointing finger you are referring to Target Adjustment that obtains in Lightroom or in CS3’s Black& White Adjustment layer, that is quite fine and very useful. But I’m fundamentally interested in accessing points on a Curve from the keyboard or being able to put them there, as in the past, via the image that I am working on (I think by Command-clicking). I’m frankly astonished that, if I understand you correctly, this is not available in CS4. This is to my mind reason enough to stay primarily with CS3.

I should have specified that I boot from the external drive on which CS4 is installed; I installed it there as I expected that there would be quite a few glitches in the initial release, given the enormous complexity of the software (and on this score I wasn’t disappointed – like an inability to enter my serial number on the initial screen for starters).
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 15, 2008
I think that you will run into glitches of that sort if you are running from a different System than the one on which your previous Adobe Licences are recorded.

Why on earth don’t you just install normally — CS4 is totally separate from CS3 and CS4 is not going to interfere with CS3 nor with your System either.

Select the Pointing Finger icon and then click and drag on any part if the image to set a point on the Curve and immediately modify the curve itself at that point.

I agree with you however that I think that it was a mistake to remove the ability to tab between points on a Curve, and that that facility should be restored, but it’s not a game-stopper as far as I am concerned
RE
Ralph_Eisenberg
Oct 15, 2008
"I think that you will run into glitches of that sort if you are running from a different System than the one on which your previous Adobe Licences are recorded."

Same system as previous installation where Adobe Licenses are recorded. A clone made immediately prior to installing CS4 and running on the same computer.

"I agree with you however that I think that it was a mistake to remove the ability to tab between points on a Curve, and that that facility should be restored, but it’s not a game-stopper as far as I am concerned "

But will it be restored???? Simply astonishing and unfortunately, this is the tip of the iceberg. Perhaps when it is I’ll give CS4 the closer scrutiny that it undoubtedly merits.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 15, 2008
Your choice!

🙂

But that small omission is something that I can work round very easily — and the overwhelming merits of the other features far out-weigh the small inconvenience of not being able to tab between points on a Curve.

But if it really worries you, you could always return CS4 and ask for a refund or file a Bug Report with Adobe.
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 15, 2008
BTW, CS4 software is now available and shipping.

Neil
RE
Ralph_Eisenberg
Oct 15, 2008
"BTW, CS4 software is now available and shipping. "

It has been a long day here in France, but haven’t we been discussing the ‘available and shipping’ version …CS4?
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 15, 2008
Ralph,

I’m just reporting this based upon the Adobe email I received this afternoon — I should have specified "in the U.S."

Don’t shoot the messenger!

Neil
RE
Ralph_Eisenberg
Oct 16, 2008
Anne, there is a very good reason not to install it immediately on one’s main system, if you recall the host of issues that arose with CS3 when it was released and the hegemonistic problems that it caused with CS2, particularly in the sphere of File type associations. To my mind, the better part of valor is caution. While I appreciate your kindness in responding, I don’t think that it is helpful to entertain a ‘love it or leave it’ approach to the few issues that I referred to. I have’nt seen whether point-Curves still obtains in the version of Camera Raw shipping with CS4, but if it does that will leave me very perplexed indeed.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 16, 2008
No-one here can do anything about making changes to the software as it was shipped because we are all just fellow Users like you.

Whether or not you consider the lack of a feature to be a game-killer is for you alone to decide — so it really does boil down to "Love it or Leave it" at this stage.

As for the way that you are choosing to install CS4, that is also your choice.

I merely suggested that the reason that you were running into Registration problems could be related to the manner in which you installed the Application.
R
Ram
Oct 16, 2008
Just to add to the last line in Ann’s post, I have Photoshop 7.0.1, 8, 9.0.2 and 10.0.1 installed on my Mac, and I have no idea what "hegemonistic problems" you’re referencing. 😐
CC
Conrad_Chavez
Oct 16, 2008
But I’m fundamentally interested in accessing points on a Curve from the keyboard

When the TAT-like tool is on, you can click the image to add points instead of the old Command-click.

The shortcut to go from point to point is now the plus key (+) or minus key (-).

The changes to Curves will take some study, but you can pretty much do what you used to.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 16, 2008
Brilliant Conrad!

There was a lot of discussion about this elsewhere but no-one stumbled on a solution —although I think every combination of the most likely keys was tried!
R
Ram
Oct 16, 2008
TAT-like tool

What is TAT? Google didn’t help.

Acronym Definition
TAT Tattoo
TAT Tourism Authority of Thailand
TAT Time After Time (song)
TAT Turn Around Time
TAT Thematic Apperception Test
TAT Tapas Acupressure Technique
TAT Tyrosine Aminotransferase
TAT The Astonishing Tribe (Sweden)
TAT Tiffani-Amber Thiessen
TAT Technical Assistance Team
TAT Thrombin-Antithrombin Complex
TAT Transactivator of Transcription (HIV protein)
TAT Total Air Temperature
TAT Tired All the Time (medical shorthand)
TAT Tetanus Antitoxin
TAT Theoretical Arrival Time
TAT Three Affiliated Tribes
TAT Transient Accommodations Tax
TAT Touraine Air Transport (airline)
TAT Ti Amo Tanto (Italian: I love you a lot)
TAT Testing and Training (SW Development and QA Testing) TAT Trans-Atlantic Telephone cable
TAT To Accompany Troops
TAT Transitional Automated Ticket (airlines)
TAT Transport Aérien Transrégional (French: Regional Air Transport) TAT Tactical Analysis Team
TAT Tatry/Poprad, Slovakia – Tatry/Poprad (Airport Code) TAT Trans-America Trail (off-road jeep/motorcyce trail)
TAT Termination Attempt Trigger
TAT Technical Assessment Team
TAT Truth and Transmission (Foundation)
TAT Terrorist Action Team
TAT Technology Applications Team
TAT Test Auto Test
TAT Tyumen Avia Trans
TAT Totally Antisymmetric Tensor
TAT Two-Axis Tracking
TAT Transgenic Arthropod Team
TAT Teenage Travelers (Family Motor Coach Association)
TAT Teens Against Television
TAT Totally Awesome Trip (slang)
TAT Tactical Airlift Technology
TAT Timed Automata with Tasks
TAT Test Analysis Table
TAT Time for Average Turnaround
TAT Transportation and Ammunition Tracking
TAT Thermally-Activated Time-Dependent (reliability model) TAT Turbine Air Temperature
TAT Text Attribute Table
TAT Toshiba Authorized Technician
RE
Ralph_Eisenberg
Oct 16, 2008
Target Adjustment Tool = TAT?, at least I believe that is what it has been called in Lightroom. Strangely enough in the Camera Raw version of CS4, the great point-Curves tool still functions as it used to in PS. Thank you Conrad for figuring out a way to navigate among the points of a Curve in CS4.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Oct 16, 2008
"The Control Tab shortcut no longer works in CS4" – why have they changed this?

So now instead of easily clicking the image with command key to place points, and then toggling them using Control Tab .. what has replaced this? You’ve now got to manually navigate to a permanently visible palette, turn some checkbox on, and then use – and = ? – cripes
RE
Ralph_Eisenberg
Oct 16, 2008
In the former way you could navigate with your left hand and, using the arrow keys, make adjustments with your right. This for me was more comfortable and efficient than the present implementation. Of course, Camera Raw 5 does offer the possibility of using point-Curves in the old way. So much for coherence.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 16, 2008
The Cmd key still selects points in an image from the regular Curve Palette but not from an Adjustment Layer Curve.

Once you have set the points on an Adjustment Curve you can still close the palette if you wish and just work "blind" using the Plus, Minus, and Arrow keys to select and nudge the points.
B
Buko
Oct 16, 2008
Just a comment on cloning,

During the testing I cloned my system drive using SuperDuper!

when I fired up the clone what I had to do was Activate CS3 as if it was installed on a second computer. I erased and recloned the drive several times without deactivating CS3. this did not cause a problem everytime I fired up CS3 on the newly recloned drive I did not have to reactivate like the first time.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Oct 16, 2008
" The Cmd key still selects points in an image from the regular Curve Palette but not from an Adjustment Layer Curve. " – !! Thats an absolutely basic to the way professionals work with curves isn’t it? "navigate with your left hand and, using the arrow keys, make adjustments with your right" – Surely there must still be a way to place a point on an adjustment layer curve clicking within the image?

Sounds to me like precision adjustments to RGB adjustment layer curves is going to be more difficult than it was. This has always been an important part of my livelihood.

I’m really stacking up reasons not to upgrade now. Oh well apart from the maximized screen mode debacle I’m happy with CS3.
RW
Russell_Williams
Oct 16, 2008
You can still do these things. Some of the shortcuts had to change because the panel is non-modal (pressing command when most tools are selected temporarily selects the move tool, just as it has done in previous versions, for instance). The tab shortcuts changed to be consistent with the rest of the suite.

To add a point to the curve:
If the on-canvas adjustment tool is selected, just click. If not, press I to get the eyedropper and then cmd+click as in CS3

To select different points on the curve:
= (unshifted plus key) or – (minus) to select next or previous. Arrow keys nudge the selected point as in CS3
CC
Conrad_Chavez
Oct 17, 2008
Sounds to me like precision adjustments to RGB adjustment layer curves is going to be more difficult than it was. This has always been an important part of my livelihood.

It’s true that a whole lot of people are going to have to relearn years of habits, and lot of them are not going to like it.

But…the benefit of going through it is that in a lot of ways it’s actually simpler in CS4. Instead of adding points with Command-click, it’s just a click (with that tool on); and to switch points on a curve takes just one key (- or +) instead of holding down two. Not to mention you don’t have to keep going in and out of a dialog box. On a desktop keypad you can even edit a curve using only your right hand; hit – and + on the keypad and the arrow keys with your thumb.

FYI, John Nack just talked about a whole lot of the CS4 shortcut changes in his blog. Maybe he read this thread?
< http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/10/shortcut_changes_in_cs4 .html>
RE
Ralph_Eisenberg
Oct 17, 2008
Well, had I actually read the ‘Read Me’ I would have been forwarned, since the question I initially raised is explicitly mentioned, which I appreciate. (This also applies to the Contact Sheet II thread where a plug-in is available for those wanting it and it is mentioned in the relevant ‘Read Me’).

Ramón G Castañeda – 12:01am Oct 16, 08 PST (#11 of 22)

"Just to add to the last line in Ann’s post, I have Photoshop 7.0.1, 8, 9.0.2 and 10.0.1 installed on my Mac, and I have no idea what "hegemonistic problems" you’re referencing. "

When CS3 came out and I installed it on my main computer where CS2 was also installed, I was utterly unable to make File-type associations stick so that, until I was ready, Raw, Tiff and PSD files would open in CS2. That is, no matter what I did and re-did and re-did…, these files always opened in CS3 until I removed it andput it on a cloned bootable external drive. It undoubtedly was a quirk of my set-up and not generalized, but I now prefer not to have to address this kind of problem. In any case, that was my reference.
RE
Ralph_Eisenberg
Oct 17, 2008
Buko – 9:03am Oct 16, 08 PST (#19 of 23)

"Just a comment on cloning,

During the testing I cloned my system drive using SuperDuper!

when I fired up the clone what I had to do was Activate CS3 as if it was installed on a second computer. I erased and recloned the drive several times without deactivating CS3. this did not cause a problem everytime I fired up CS3 on the newly recloned drive I did not have to reactivate like the first time."

Never had any problems making a bootable clone with SuperDuper and being able to launch CS2 and CS3 (until probably now that I have written ‘never’). What I spoke of above was an inability to enter my serial number in the serialization screen of my CS4 upgrade (the program had properly detected the presence of CS3 on board so it was not necessary to enter the latter’s serial number). Once CS4 was installed, it became possible in a subsequent screen to enter the serial number.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Oct 18, 2008
Ah – reading John Nacks post its less worrying for people who do color correction professionally, because they have thoughtfully provided a plugin – which will take the shortcuts back to what they were.

I will probably always want to use command/option Ø to get 100%. Thats never been too complicated for me to get my head around, god knows why it would be for anyone.

If you are working every day doing CMYK color correction and trying to use curves, then to get the black channel curve will now be command 6, and thats a stretch. Ill take Johns suggestion though, try it with the new suggestions though for a bit and see what I think.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 18, 2008
Mark:

My initial reaction was exactly the same as yours but I have already got used to the new shortcuts for the Channels and no longer give them a thought.

The ability to use Cmd Option # to select luminance in individual channels is nice too.

I still prefer Cmd Option 0 and Cmd 0 (on the numeral pad) for viewing % in Photoshop though.

The Cmd 1 version needs the top-row numeral keys (as in InDesign)

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections