AP
Posted By
A.Peter_Watson
Jan 8, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am thinking about buying a DSLR. Can anyone tell me whether RAW conversion software has to be for a specific model of camera or will any conversion software work on any model of camera? I see that the Nikon software is not very highly rated. I have Photoshop Elements that is at least three years old, (It was bundled with the computer and does not disclose which version it is)and I can not find much about RAW conversion in the Help files. Would an upgrade of Elements provide all the software I need?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

AC
Art Campbell
Jan 8, 2007
RAW conversion software is usually camera model-specific, but it’s also usually cumulative — the latest version of a given program, such as Adobe’s Camera Raw supports all earlier camera models.

A upgrade to Elements 5 would provide the baseline you need to install different versions of Adobe Camera Raw, past, current, and those yet to be released. But the Elements program and the Adobe Camera Raw plugin that works with it are two separate things.

And just as a BTW, there are lots of shooters, both pro and amateur who use and like Nikon’s conversion software, particularly the newest version. Whether one particular package works for you or not depends a lot on what you want to do with it; it’s a lot like picking a particular film to use — one size doesn’t fit all; different programs excel at different things.

Cheers,
Art
AP
A.Peter_Watson
Jan 8, 2007
Many thanks for that, much appreciated.

Peter.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections