Posted By
Jason_Gonzales
Jul 14, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Tom,

I am having the same issue. Any resolution or workaround yet?

–JG

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JM
J_Maloney
Jul 14, 2008
Your type must be above objects that involve transparency. Take a look at Adobe’s guidelines here:

< http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/creativesuite/articles/cs3 ip_transp_09.html>

J
JG
Jason_Gonzales
Jul 14, 2008
Hi!

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I don’t think this applies to the issue I am seeing. I don’t have any transparency in my design. However, I did try moving all my text layers to the top, but it did not resolve my issue.

One odd thing that may or may not be correlated to the problem is that all of the text that looks rasterized is the initial letter of the last line of text within the text box it resides in.

Also, I should add a further description of what my particular situation is if it can be helpful in diagnosing it. I am placing colored text over a colored field. The colors are contrasting hues of blue. The text is small: 11pt Myriad Pro Reg with Strong anti-aliasing.

This is not a complex design where the jagginess is appearing. Which is why it is particularly perplexing.

Any help is appreciated.

–JG
JM
J_Maloney
Jul 14, 2008
Yes, the old _Photoshop_ forum thing. My apologies.

I can’t get my PS to rasterize the text (but I’m on a Mac). You’re not just seeing the line art (type) in "unsmooth" preview mode in Acrobat Reader (i.e., at 20 ppi the type is 20 ppi and at 600 ppi, type is 600 ppi)?

Maybe give us more info (well not me) — version, OS, or screenshots.

J
JG
Jason_Gonzales
Jul 14, 2008
JM,

Hey! I am looking at the pdf in Acrobat 8 Pro @ 1200 dpi!

I am using Ps CS3, all updates. Using Windows Vista Home Premium.

As much as I have read these forums in the past, this is the first time I have asked for help. What’s the best way to get you/the forum a visual? Can I email you the proof??

–JG
JM
J_Maloney
Jul 14, 2008
pixentral.com is a good place to post screenshots. You can email me at photoshop.forums — at — gmail dot com.

J
JM
J_Maloney
Jul 14, 2008
It appears Jason’ problem is line 7 (carriage returns ignored, WTF) in a PS text box has a white knockout mask behind the type, causing a "rasterized" look. I don’t have Pitstop, but with Acrobat, it appears that the mask might even be misaligned. Who knows how it will print. But the type IS staying vector. I know most folks wouldn’t typeset this many lines in PS, but I can’t find any references to this as a known "issue". Anyone seen it???

On my Mac, it’s the whole line (when I build a test file). On his (PC) file, it appears to be just the first character.

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1tNDN7UBYZFSj5q9iF IEpjJeT5qzNp>

J
JG
Jason_Gonzales
Jul 14, 2008
JM,

This is indeed my livelihood. This invite was a rush job, so thanks for not making fun of the design work.

It is reassuring that you could not find any info on this, as I have been looking high and low.

I will print some proofs asap and see how it goes.

So, am I getting this right? When you create a doc in Ps (Mac) every 7th carriage return causes this odd knockout/stroke/halo?

Here is one thing that is odder: if I toggle through fractional widths and all the anti-aliasing options I can get this phenomenon to get worse.

–JG
JG
Jason_Gonzales
Jul 14, 2008
I guess I have been getting away with murder by making so many mailers in Ps. But the type tool is so great now, it really saves time if I can just do all my work in one program.

That being said, a useful work flow may be to revert to my old practice of only putting placeholder text in Ps.

–JG
JM
J_Maloney
Jul 14, 2008
14 as well. I’m done, but I’ve got five bucks on 21. Anyone?

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1PVvw9grBs8stwDVM7 jVPmtq9oCQUN>

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections