R
Posted By
Ram
Sep 25, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Two threads have been deleted or censored and closed due to the attempt by a third party to disrupt the forum.

I want to reiterate that I sincerely held the link to Scott Weichert’s web site as a prime example of a very well built website. This in connection to GB having asked me how I would present the material contained in another thread that had been closed, also due to the intervention of the same aforementioned third party.

This is some of what I wrote (and fortunately saved as a PDF):

I pointed out Scott Weichert’s link as an example of how to do things right. Things are very nicely presented, the typography is excellent, the text is eminently readable and the pages load extremely fast even on a mediocre-to-slowish connection.

The attempt by the aforementioned third party to suggest that this praise was something else was and remains a malicious intent designed to smear our forum host and impugn his reputation.

Thank you for the opportunity to set this straight.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

GB
g_ballard
Sep 25, 2008
Thanks, Ramón, Scott’s site isn’t loading right now but will check it later…
R
Ram
Sep 25, 2008
Just tried it. "This page was rendered in 0.0144 seconds."
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Sep 25, 2008
The thread was removed by Forum Operations because Ramon was making false and insulting posts again. Once we learn to stop posting nonsense and insulting others, threads will no longer be removed. It is so simple.

There is no dispute that Scott has well built site.
SW
Scott_Weichert
Sep 25, 2008
Uhmm.. wow.. thanks 🙂 I’m blushing here.

I have absolutely no clue what threads are being referred to. I completely missed them.

It should be noted that that site was built as a CSS based site in 2006 (maybe earlier). CSS has advanced a few steps since that build. I’ve got a new site in the works that will also take advantage of CSS and PHP based rendering. Now, because of this thread.. I’m going to have to get that completed soon. 🙂
CB
charles badland
Sep 25, 2008
Ramón
I glad you brought this up again. I wanted to point out to GB certain text/background combinations to avoid… based on human physiology. Any text/background that differs by Blue: Cyan/Green, Magenta/Red, White/Yellow… and the most abused… Blue/Black. If you look at the RGB numbers of all these combinations, they differ only by Blue.
The way our eye is built (we have relatively few "blue sensitive" cones in our retinas) it is very difficult to discern detail in the combos listed. Blue text on Black may look srtiking, but it causes real eye strain to read.
Scott’s is a great example of a well designed, easy to read and navigate web site.
GB
g_ballard
Sep 25, 2008
Great site, Scott.

I’m a cameraman who writes who designs who publishes web sites — never gonna be any more on my own.

The blue-black eyesore can actually be helping drive my viewer to the photos, if they can get by the white text on black captions — oddly the blue/black, white/black combinations don’t bother [me] a color neurotic, and I like the look and feel of the two sites I use this color scheme on.

In any case, it is too much work to overhaul the sites, but I am continuing to learn and improve (hopefully)…
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Sep 25, 2008
Nice, I’ll bet Scott, but won’t load. How about having GoDaddy host it for you, only 49 bucks or so for three years and hefty servers.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Sep 25, 2008
"I’m a cameraman who writes who designs who publishes web sites"

Have Scott do you a new web site g.

: )
SW
Scott_Weichert
Sep 25, 2008
Yeah, this link has exposed the poor server I’m apparently on. It’s been up without issue for years, then this link gets posted and the server cant’ stay up for more than 10 minutes at a time.
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Sep 25, 2008
Well, that’ll teach you not to have a nice web site!!!

:~)
P
Phosphor
Sep 25, 2008
GBallard…

I generally like the content of that site (though I have to agree about being careful with text/background color combos), but it just takes for-bloody-ever to load…I’d never visit again, unless the content was about people I know and/or work with. And my cable connection is quite robust and speedy.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Sep 25, 2008
Two threads have been deleted or censored and closed due to the attempt by a third party to disrupt the forum.

As a matter of fact, which is often missing in these posts, I requested that one of Ramon’s insulting and false posts be removed. It was the option of Forum Operations to delete the entire thread and another thread that I never mentioned to Forum Operations. Ramon cannot criticize a third party for a disruption when he played a significant role in the thread removal. Let’s stop pretending we’re victims.

There was never a dispute that Scott’s site was well-designed.

Gary, you may want to consider a content management system or themed template like Scott has created for himself (although there are ready-made systems that non-developers can use). It makes authoring and maintenance much easier. Updates to site style are a breeze. The web design forum here is a good place to get ideas for this.
P
Phosphor
Sep 25, 2008
Godammit, Jim…can you just NOT leave the shit alone for the course of one thread? And yes, it can be done, regardless of whether anyone else in a thread refers to whatever it is that’s up your nose. You just have to have some self-control.

Start your own damned thread about your annoyances, or open an email dialogue with the folks you’d like to keep hashing on about. At least it would help out the S/N ratio in every other thread.

I understand some of where you’re coming from—Ramon and I have had some big beefs in this forum—but even he and I are able to reel in our egos and opinions and STFU, if only for the sake of the sanity of others here.

(Go ahead and delete this, Neil…just leave it long enough for Jim to see it).
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Sep 25, 2008
Phos, as long as someone posts false info, I will correct it or have it deleted by the authority here. It is quite simple. Why others cannot understand this basic concept is not something I can address. So I will not. I am done on the topic unless further mistruth appears.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Sep 25, 2008
Unbelievable guys. Take it to the Lounge.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 25, 2008
The 2nd largest software company in the world – their flagship application – their unsupported forums – are nothing more then a toilet for the graphics world. Kind of like their approach to a lot of things.
P
Phosphor
Sep 25, 2008
" Take it to the Lounge."

Bad suggestion, Ken.

Jim would get his balls busted with ten times the ferocity there for that sort of constant harping.

We don’t cotton to that ongoing crap any more there than here in the main forums.

You ought to know that by now.

🙂
SW
Scott_Weichert
Sep 25, 2008
Well thanks for the link Ramon. It was nice while it lasted. Now, I’d like to be disassociated with the content of this thread.

Just another shining example of why I rarely visit the Photoshop forum here.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Sep 25, 2008
Scott, You are disassociated out of respect sir.

Don’t stay away permanently ’cause many of us do appreciate your input, as well as input from those who bring useful information and inspiration, like yourself.

Thanks,

Ken

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections