CC
Posted By
chris_clayton
Sep 24, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying to bring a poster that I’ve made in Illustrator into a photoshop image(a storefront). I am pasting the .ai file as a smart object so that in the future, I can swap in other posters that are made in AI. I also will need to distort the perspective of the posters. The problem I’m having is that when I place an .ai file as a smart object, my only transform options are scale, rotate, skew and warp. Ideally I’d be able to use distort, which isn’t available. As a last resort I could use warp.
However, when I use warp on a smart object and then go to edit contents, the layer opens as a .psb file rather than opening in Illustrator. Is there any solution for this?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 24, 2008
A much better bet would be to Place the Photoshop image in Illustrator; and output it from Ai.

Or combine both files in InDesign.
CC
chris_clayton
Sep 24, 2008
The final output needs to be a retouched image under a bunch of different layers, so that won’t work.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 24, 2008
Can’t you flatten a copy of the final Photoshop image and then place it in Illustrator for final output?
SW
Scott_Weichert
Sep 25, 2008
Distort how?

You can get some skewing and oblong distortions by using Transform and holding down various combinations of the Command, Option, and Shift keys while dragging a corner handle. But you can’t get a perspective distort on a Smart Object (which is annoying).

You could always rasterize the Smart Object, then all menu items and transformations are possible.
RW
Robert_Winter
Sep 25, 2008
What about rasterizing your poster in it’s actual size in the photoshop parent doc. Then save it as a smart object. Then apply a Warp to the smart object.

Then when you have an alternate poster to place just open the smart object and place the new poster (rasterized) into the same .psb file as a new layer and update.

Then it will take on the existing Warp of your previously placed poster.

The only additional step for you would be the rasterizing of the illustrator art.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections