BA
Posted By
bob_a_friedman
Jun 8, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I can’t skew a smart object. I click on transform/skew and I get the outline box and a X in the middle. I can rotate and scale.

I did discover that I can click on transform, the immediately, click on transform/skew. But the corners are not anchored when I grab a corner to skew the image

any ideas??

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MB
Michael_Brower
Jun 8, 2007
Hold down the CTRL key while grabbing one of the corners.
BA
bob_a_friedman
Jun 8, 2007
Thanks. I can skew the image partially since the other corner is not anchored.
C
chrisjbirchall
Jun 8, 2007
Skew works differently when transforming a Smart Object, maintaining a parallelogram. Also, Distort is missing from the menu.

It’s been a "feature request" in the past and I’m disappointed it wasn’t remedied in CS3.

It shouldn’t be difficult. After all, they’ve managed to include Warp in the Smart Object menu.
BA
bob_a_friedman
Jun 8, 2007
Thanks
Moral is: skew before making a smart object.
P
Phosphor
Jun 8, 2007
"Moral is: skew before making a smart object."

I have no idea what you’re talking about with this, Bob.

I place an image as a Smart Object.

Command + T to summon the Transform Bounding Box. (I DON’T go to "EditÂ’TransformÂ’Skew")

I hold down the Command and Shift keys. I click and hold on a corner anchor, then move my mouse.

Parallelogram skew results.

Something is missing in the description of the problem, or in the description of the answers here.
C
chrisjbirchall
Jun 8, 2007
The point I was making Phos, is that Skew is a different animal when it’s dealing with Smart Objects.

With a rasterized layer you can "skew" corners toward each other, very much like "perspective". With Smart Objects, the same command moves two corners at a time – hence the parallelogram reference.
P
Phosphor
Jun 8, 2007
"With a rasterized layer you can "skew" corners toward each other, very much like "perspective".

Ah, there’s the rub.

That’s not skewing, then, by definition. That’s keystoning.

You can approximate keystoning with Transform Warping of Smart Objects, but it’s touchy. Guidelines—and perhaps a trapezoidal Custom Shape—can help with positioning the anchors and keeping the warping frame’s boundary and internal meshlines straight.
BA
bob_a_friedman
Jun 8, 2007
Phos
A lot easier to skew before making a smart object. It is not often I need to skew an image so it is not a big deal. Hopefully Adobe will fix this in the future
P
Phosphor
Jun 8, 2007
If I’m importing an image as a Smart Object, I’m doing it because I want the ability to do non-destructive transformations. But you’re right, perspective warping needs to be added.

What bugs me about the Warping anchors is that they can’t be constrained to the common angles when you hold the Shift key.

Ummm…unless that ability has been added with CS3. Dunno, didn’t get it yet.
S
stevent
Jun 8, 2007
No, Phos, not added in CS3.

Another thing that bugs me is that If I Free distort an object (not smart obviously) and then choose a custom warp all the corners that I distorted become locked (as do the handles) and only the grid is ‘warpable’.
D
d-signer
Jun 9, 2007
It seems like orge problem – to add linear perspective transformation to layer stamp of the smart object. It’s absolutely impossible to create that feature because progress of software development is not so tall as to reach this highest level of programming.

In the other hand I guess Adobe deliberately moves away from its software some dangerous features. Dangerous to users of course, not for programmers. The care of a dumb user.

But one thing they are missed: create an document with 4000 ppi resolution and try to place into it another image with 72 ppi. Enjoy. 🙂
P
Phosphor
Jun 9, 2007
I’m dead certain that means stuff, and that.
JJ
John_Joslin
Jun 9, 2007
Sounds Scottish to me!
JJ
John_Joslin
Jun 9, 2007
Here’s a tutorial on Smart Objects:

<http://www.creativepro.com/img/story/20061204_Get_Smart.pdf>
P
Phosphor
Jun 9, 2007
"Sounds Scottish to me!"

And very familiarly so.
D
d-signer
Jun 11, 2007
To keystoning smart object you could apply to it any Warp preset (say "Arc") then reduce ‘Bend’ to 0 (zero) and move silder for H(orizontal) or V(ertical) or both from 0 to 100% (or knock necessary value manually). Since Skew operation is allowed for Smart Object you could get any axonometric projection. Enjoy.
P
PECourtejoie
Jun 11, 2007
Phos, and John, If I’m not mistaken, d-signer is writing from Russia, therefore english is not his first language.

d-signer, could you elaborate? you meant that smart objects can lead to big trouble for clueless users?
JJ
John_Joslin
Jun 11, 2007
We weren’t taking issue with the English language – we both thought he was someone else with a similar log-in.

No offence meant.
P
Phosphor
Jun 11, 2007
Ditto, pretty muchÂ…

I knew it wasn’t the person J.J. speaks of, but the language is skewed—to a somewhat amusing effect—in much the same way.

No worries from me, either.
D
d-signer
Jun 12, 2007
PECourtejoie, not smart object but perspective transformation of it. Adobe saves clueless users from disappoint in its software. It’s better to remove some difficult operation than to get army of disappointed (clueless) users. In CS3 they done it with smart filters too. It sounds like if you couldn’t freely drive your car you would be forced to drive a tram on railroad.

A little example: In AI you can select one of two color modes for the document: RGB or CMYK. It’s great ever! In CorelDRAW you can select RGB, Lab, CMYK, HLS and so on – for any object and more over – for color stops in a gradient. There’s no STOP signals for you – drive freely as you want in your own risk.

BTW with smart object you can mix any color modes in one document. I often use it when i need to apply a filter which don’t work in CMYK. I just convert a layer into SO; open its content; convert to RGB; apply a filter and then rasterize layer stamp of SO.

Yes, my native lang is Russian and in English I know only two words: Yes and No.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections