Posted By
Jeff_Schwartz
Apr 27, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Perhaps I am going about this the wrong way but here it goes:

I want to put a black border around an image. Normally, I’d set the canvas size to "relative" and add +1mm or something like that and set the "canvas extension color" to black.

My image contains a smart object. While I can set the "canvas extension color" for the smart object, the option is grayed out for the psd containing the smart object. Why is this?

Also, if I try adding the border to the smart object, the object containing it doesn’t display the border.

Any ideas as to what I’m doing wrong?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

C
chrisjbirchall
Apr 27, 2007
Highlight the Smart Object layer in the layers palette. Now go to the layer effects icon bottom left of the layers palette and select "Stroke" from the fly-out menu. You’ll be presented with a number of options including the pixel size of the stroke line and the colour.

The beauty of applying the stroke line this way is that it is not affected by any further edits. So if you add a Curves or Levels adjustment layer, for instance, only the image will be affected, not the stroke line.

Hope this helps.

Chris.
JS
Jeff_Schwartz
Apr 28, 2007
Thanks Chris. Its an interesting idea. My only question then is, what if I want to create a border (say 1 mm white and then 3mm black outside of that.) Is there a good way to do that?

Putting my name or a logo would be a plus as well. I’d like a way to automate that.

Still, the original question remains. Why did what I tried not work? Why was I unable to set the canvas size :extension color" for an image containing a smart object? And why, if I change the canvas size of the smart object, isn’t it reflected in the image containing it?

Thanks,
-Jeff
C
chrisjbirchall
Apr 28, 2007
I want to create a border (say 1 mm white and then 3mm black outside of that.)

Use the "layer effects" method I suggested to create your white stroke line with "Position" set to "inside".

Next, "select transparency", using the thumbnail’s right-click menu, create a new blank layer above the smart object and go EDIT>STROKE and create your black stroke line using the "outside" setting.

This works if your Smart Object is smaller than the canvas. If you need to resize the Smart Object using Transform, you’ll need to link the two layers first.

Putting my name or a logo would be a plus as well. I’d like a way to automate that.

Do a forum search on this. There have been several solutions posted in the past.

Why was I unable to set the canvas size :extension color" for an image containing a smart object?

Don’t know. It certainly works here for me. What happens if you rasterize the SM layer? Resetting Preferences (as per the FAQs) might sort this one out.

why, if I change the canvas size of the smart object, isn’t it reflected in the image containing it?

You need to right click the Smart Object layer and select "replace contents" from the fly-out.
JJ
John Joslin
Apr 28, 2007

Try this 22.8MB tutorial: <http://av.adobe.com/russellbrown/BrandingSM.mov>

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections