JS
Posted By
Jert_Snern
Sep 24, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have Photoshop 7.0 beta. Can I upgrade to the latest version of Photoshop by just buying the upgrade box at my local Apple store? Or is that not possible with the beta version?
I have a new Macpro and 7.0 doesn’t work with the latest OS. Thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 24, 2008
Jert,

OS7 will not work on Leopard. A beta is not valid for upgrading. You’ll need to purchase the full version, CS3 or CS4.

Neil
P
Phosphor
Sep 24, 2008
Adobe never released a public beta for version 7.

If you have a legitimate beta for version 7 you should understand that it was supposed to expire when the beta testing period was over, right?

Maybe you’re leaving out some important information about what you have and what you’d like to be able to do?
R
Ram
Sep 24, 2008
Jert,

Adobe’s upgrades are always full installers, they either find a legitimate 24-digit serial number in a previously qualified legitimate copy, or they prompt you to enter that serial number.

No way can you upgrade with a beta version!
JS
Jert_Snern
Sep 24, 2008
This has a 24-digit serial number.
R
Ram
Sep 24, 2008
Which most probably identifies it as beta version and, therefore, illegal. Even if you were able to install it, activation and registration will fail when the newly installed version calls the Adobe mother ship over the Internet asking for Adobe’s permission to activate itself.

What you are trying to do is illegal, it’s software piracy, theft of intellectual property criminally punishable by federal law.

Interestingly, now that you posted here on the Adobe site, the Adobe legal department has your IP address and can easily locate you and your computer. :/
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 24, 2008
So be afraid. Very afraid!
JS
Jert_Snern
Sep 24, 2008
Thank you Ramon, for your snide assumptions. I apologize for being so outrageously over the line as to inquire about existing software left on a computer that was given to me. Calm down.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 24, 2008
existing software left on a computer that was given to me>

Unless the previous owner of that software has transferred the Photoshop Licence to you (and that is a legal document which has to be done via Adobe) you are NOT licensed to use it.

What is more: the previous wner of that computer is in breach of an NDA agreement that he must have had with Adobe to have received a beta version of the software in the first place.

And even worse: he must have "reversed-engineered it in some fashion (which is strictly illegal) or it would not still be usable at this date.

What you are doing is actually a Criminal Offence under Federal Law and if you have any sense you will remove that illegal software from your computer immediately and purchase your own legal copy of Photoshop.

What we all trying to point out to you is that your ISP is now known to Adobe’s Legal Department; and both you and your computer can be traced.

That has happened to others who have done what you are doing and they have been successfully prosecuted Β— and some have received long sentences.

So Β… it’s now up to you to decide what to do.
C
Cindy
Sep 24, 2008
Gawd you guys, you are going to scare the pee out of this guy.
B
Bernie
Sep 24, 2008
Welcome to the pedantry forum.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 24, 2008
Might just save him from a visit to Court though?

8/
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 24, 2008
A Pedant or Pedagogue (from which the former word is derived) is basically a Teacher.

Jert apparently came here to Learn something Β— and hopefully he has!

πŸ™‚
JS
Jert_Snern
Sep 24, 2008
My mistake. It’s not a beta. I was completely wrong. In fact, it’s not even my computer we’re talking about, but a stranger’s. My memory isn’t what it used to be.
My other mistake? Innocently seeking friendly advice on a user forum without expecting to be accused of knowingly committing a crime.
Thank you, however, for permanently steering me away from this forum and ever purchasing Adobe software again.
Job well done guys. American civility wins once more!
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 24, 2008
when in Rome….
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 24, 2008
Civility was maintained through out.

And no-one accused you of KNOWINGLY committing a crime, or aiding and abetting someone else who was doing so.

We just explained that what YOU yourself reported that you were doing was in fact illegal Β—and we advised you to avoid breaking the law.

And as for: "for permanently steering me away from Β…Β… ever purchasing Adobe software again" Β— have you ever actually PURCHASED any of it previously?

Just wondering Β… .
JS
Jert_Snern
Sep 24, 2008
Dearest Ann. You implications were, and are, clear. Perhaps if you weren’t so eager to jump to conclusions, you wouldn’t come off so rude.
And as for, "have you ever actually PURCHASED any of it previously? " Well, if that’s not an accusation (and a contradiction of your second paragraph) I guess I’m guilty of jumping to the conclusion that you’re just a petty bully, and that you prefer wasting the time of sincere individuals by conducting hostile and condescending diatribes. You work for John McCain?
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Sep 24, 2008
Thank you, however, for permanently steering me away from this forum and ever purchasing Adobe software again.

Well, have you ever purchased any Adobe software yet? If not, then that’s an idle threat…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 24, 2008
Quite!
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 24, 2008
Ah – the play pen is alive and well once again.
B
Buko
Sep 24, 2008
My mistake. It’s not a beta. I was completely wrong. In fact, it’s not even my computer we’re talking about, but a stranger’s.

This is what you posted first.

I have Photoshop 7.0 beta. Can I upgrade to the latest version of Photoshop by just buying the upgrade box at my local Apple store? Or is that not possible with the beta version? I have a new Macpro and 7.0 doesn’t work with the latest OS.
Thanks.

I think you are a liar. And you were trying to get something for nothing.
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 24, 2008
Folks, I think at this time, all the good arguments have been made. No point in leaving this topic alive.

Neil

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections