Upgrading to OS X 10.3/Panther: need to reinstall Elements?

LM
Posted By
Lou_M
Oct 25, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, folks. I just upgraded to Panther (who, me, bleeding edge?). I did an "Archive and Install" as opposed to a simple "Upgrade" and everything seems fine with Photoshop Elements 2.0. Any compelling reason why I might need to reinstall it? It seems OK–even the palettes are where I placed them last.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 25, 2003
Nope. If an archive and install works right, you shouldn’t need to do that, Lou. How’s Panther?
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Oct 25, 2003
Lou and Barb,

I did the simple upgrade and everything is working hunky dory. I tend to be kind of lazy that way (path of least resistance and all that 😉 )

Barb,

Run, don’t walk to go get Panther. It’s every bit as good as everyone claims and a bunch more. The speed increase on my old G4/533 was very, very, very noticeable. It’s worth it just for that. PSE even seems snappier. I love it!

Joe
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 25, 2003
Hi, Joe. I was going to wait, but just got ordered to get it today, so I’ll soon see. I must say that judging from the support forum there don’t seem to be any big issues with it, at least none have shown up yet. Very quiet over there tonight compared to the way it usually is after an update is released.
PB
Paul_Bullen
Oct 25, 2003
That’s problems (rather than issues). –PB
LM
Lou_M
Oct 25, 2003
Yes, snappy is a good word for Panther. It’s a very noticeable difference in how fast windows and menus display.

And the new finder is so much more convenient. I’m so happy!
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Oct 25, 2003
My only problem (issue) with Panther right now is that I’ve opened up like 10 windows/programs and now I’m just staring at my screen pressing the F8 key over and over again. It’s hypnotic and now I’m not getting anything done. 😉

BTW, F8 is the key that invokes Expose.

Joe
MR
Mark_Reibman
Oct 25, 2003
Okay folks, I’m on my way to the Apple Store. Panther goes on sale in a few minutes.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Oct 25, 2003
Ehh.. ? I saw a man buying it no later than noon today…

Ray (who saw a very, very happy customer over dinner!)
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 25, 2003
That’s problems (rather than issues)

No, actually, Paul, I meant issues. Problems are things like "I can’t print," "the Panther ate my Word files" etc. Issues are things like "I hate the look of the widgets."

Anyway, few problems, few issues. 8^)

Ray, they were supposed to wait till 8 pm to start selling it, but I’m sure lots of places didn’t.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Oct 25, 2003
Looking at those workspace printscreen, it made realized that even the options bar is undockable in Mac OS.. ? Wow! There’s no limit!

Ray
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Oct 25, 2003
Looking at those workspace printscreen, it made realized that even the options bar is undockable in Mac OS.. ? Wow! There’s no limit!

Can’t do that in Windows?

Joe
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 25, 2003
Ray, much as I like to think of ways in which Mac is cooler, honesty compels me to admit that you can do that in Win, too. Just grab the left edge of the bar and rip it loose.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Oct 25, 2003
Joe

You sure can do that in window, and even minimize them but not sure why one would want to.

g.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Oct 25, 2003
You sure can do that in window, and even minimize them but not sure why one would want to.

Well that seemed like something that you should be able to do in both but what the heck do I know? 😉 I think Adobe does a great job of making sure both platforms are treated equally well unlike some large monopolistic companies (won’t mention any names).

Joe
PB
Paul_Bullen
Oct 25, 2003
Barbara (in re: #9),
I discovered that although you can edit messages, but you can’t eliminate all record of them. Realizing this was not the time to pursue my crusade against what I take to be the misuse of the word ‘issue’, I deleted my comments; but that left an empty message. So I rationalized that it was better to put (that) something than nothing. There is a usage of ‘issue’ that is important in my line of work. But there is a time and a place. My apologies. –Paul
R
Ray
Oct 25, 2003
Never realized that, untill I saw it on one of the PrintScreen posted. I never cease to learn 😉 Yep, Windows can do that also.

Ray
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 25, 2003
Hi, Paul. No need to apologize at all. Just wanted to let you know that I, too, don’t consider it a synoym for "problem."
MR
Mark_Reibman
Oct 25, 2003
I waited in line at the Apple Store for a couple hours last night to buy the new OS. Well worth the wait and the $$. I have 10.3 now installed and everything seems to be humming along quite nicely. I’m just beginning to explore the new features from 10.1 to 10.3 but my initial impression is very good. Wow. What these folks come up with. The new Expose window feature is really cool. Safari is definitely fast browser for my dial up. Visually it is even more stunning. I notice some improvement in Photoshop Elements speed but it’ll take a new computer to really get the speed I’ve been wanting.

Dreaming about a notebook. 🙂

Joe and other Mac friends….thanks for the nudge!
KW
Kyle_White
Oct 25, 2003
Joe, Mark et al;

I’m now Panther’ed! 🙂

All’s well, so far.

Kyle
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Oct 26, 2003
Rrrrrr!
SC
Stephen_C._Smith
Oct 26, 2003
Mac friends,

I’m proud of you early adopters jumping on Panther. I did the same with Jaguar and was glad I did. This time I’m waiting for my $20 coupon for the online Apple store for renewing my Dot.Mac subscription. Now all I have to decide is this: do I buy the single user version or the family pack? Do I just upgrade my powerbook or do I also upgrade my old G3 iMac?

Decisions, decisions.

Keep us all posted (in a new thread, perhaps) about how Panther continues to delight or frustrate you in the coming weeks.

Thanks.

Steve
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Oct 26, 2003
Steve I used my $20 for the same thing. That family pack is an awesome deal. If you’ve got a few Mac’s to upgrade then that’s the clear checker. If you don’t use the iMac much anymore and it’s your only other Mac, well then just go for the Powerbook. I will tell you that there are plenty of reports of Panther turning old iMacs into new machines. Maybe Mark will post back on his Panther upgrade?

I love everything about Panther. IMO it’s a much better/bigger upgrade than going from 10.1.x to Jag, and I really thought that was a very good upgrade. The best thing so far is Expose. It’s not just eye candy. It’ll change how you use your Mac, and I think it’s a truly revolutionary development.

Joe

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections