AF
Posted By
Achy_Fakey
Aug 22, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am having trouble selecting a layer that is beneath a layer of text. This layer of text has several lines in it and I can see the layer beneath. If I use the move tool with auto select on (and set to Layer, not Group), I should be able to select a layer that matches the top-most item that I click onto in my document.

So if I have a square laying on top of a circle and I click the square, the layer with the square is selected. And if there is a layer of text on top of the square, I am able to auto-select the text by clicking on any letter. BUT the problem is that I need to be able to select the square even when I am clicking between the letters and lines of the text layer.

Right now, I have to click outside the complete "boundaries" of the text to get to the layer beneath (by "boundaries", I mean the top an bottom and left and right sides of where the text exists on the layer… and this happens no matter if the text was created by dragging out a text box or not… i.e. point type or paragraph type).

If memory serves, I could do this in Photoshop CS1 just by clicking between letters or lines. As long as I wasn’t clicking on a "pixel" of text (yes, it is live text, but I hope you get my gist), I’d be able to select the layer beneath.

Any help? I cannot find any setting for changing this. I hope I’m not stuck with this… THANKS!

(Photoshop CS3 10.0 running on G5 10.4.11)

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JJ
John Joslin
Aug 22, 2008
What’s wrong with the Layers Palette?
P
Phosphor
Aug 22, 2008
There’s a Layers palette???
F
Freeagent
Aug 22, 2008
B-)
B-)
8-o
B-)
AF
Achy_Fakey
Aug 25, 2008
Maybe you are not getting the gist of the problem. The purpose of the Auto Select function with the Move tool is so you don’t have to dig through the layers to find what you need. You click in your document and get what you want. This is especially helpful in a file with over 100 layers, like the one I am working on.

But, gee, thanks for the sarcasm. Anyone have something actually helpful to contribute? Or has Photoshop just taken one step back with this particular function on the latest release…?
F
Freeagent
Aug 25, 2008
But, gee, thanks for the sarcasm

Point taken. Sorry about that.

But you could have explained about the 100 layers and your reasons for working this way in the first place – with a "normal" set of layers this would be a very awkward way to do it.

But now that it’s cleared up, I’m sure somebody will come up with something.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Aug 25, 2008
I don’t think it works that way. I do not believe there is a way to do this in Photoshop.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections