WR
Posted By
William_R_Reed
Aug 13, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop, 5 o’clock and its quitting time!

I have a strange problem and hope someone can help.
They symptom – Photoshop CS 3 v.10.0.1 (have tried different versions, CS and CS2, getting the same symptom from each) won’t save (various file types have been tried) after 5pm. Selecting a different storage device the second attempt will sometimes work. Otherwise a restart is required. This is intermittent, about 3 out of 5 days a week. It doesn’t seem to make a difference what storage device I try first.

The Error Returned is “Could not save “file name” because of a program error” Also this sometimes happens from across the network using a PowerMac G4 giving a " Privileges " error

This unit is used in a Photo studio and has various applications installed for that purpose.

The Hardware
PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Internal SATA 80 GB Maxtor (original Apple) free space 20 GB, External — Firewire 800 – Western Digital 1 TB MyBook , Firewire 400 – 500 GB One Touch, Video Card GeForce FX 5200.

The Software
OS X 10.4.11 (build 8S165), Adobe CS 3 Standard (upgraded from CS2), EFI Color Profiler Suite v.2, iView MediaPro 2.6, Leaf Capture 11.1, Macromedia MX 2004, Microsoft Office 2004, Toast Titanium 8.0, FileMaker Pro 8.5, BiggestS2SUI (this is for a Lacie RAID not currently in use), Cyberduck: CWS LE (for Fiery), TechTool Pro 4, VirusBarrier X4: Google SketchUp.
As far as I can tell all of the software is up to date.

I symptom has been happening for several months now, more than 6 less then 12. I have done a ground up rebuild of everything, all Apple and all third party applications and system software. The symptoms went away for a few days and then they were back.
Files are kept on external drives.

I have given as much information as I can think of, if I have left something out please let me know.

Hoping someone might see a possible issue somewhere.

Thanks so much for your help

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 13, 2008
William,

It sounds like you have some system process set to start in the background at 5 PM. Maybe a system backup.

Neil
WR
William_R_Reed
Aug 24, 2008
I have checked to see if there is some background process set to start at and have found nothing. New, the symptom started early this week, about 4 o’clock.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 24, 2008
William,

They symptom – Photoshop CS 3 v.10.0.1 (have tried different versions, CS and CS2, getting the same symptom from each) won’t save (various file types have been tried) after 5pm.

There is something on your system or network that kicks in at 5PM or 4PM. Typical are backups or antivirus scans. It is also slightly possible you have some malware on your system that kicks in at that time. There is nothing in Photoshop or your OS that would, in and of itself, cause this effect on its own.

To help you narrow this down, disconnect your machine from the network a few minutes before 4 PM and see if you still have the problem at 4 PM.

Neil

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections