Posted By
Peter_Morrill
Aug 8, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop 7.01 on G4 iMac system 10.4.11
After 6 years continual use of this program, it has suddenly done bad. I went to open the application and the PS icon had changed to a generic one which turned out to be scripting editor. I could open via an existing PS file but not from the actual application icon. I had recently installed the latest security update from Apple, but this may a coincident. I’ve run Disc Doctor and Disc Warrior, ditched the preferences etc. but the problem remained. I then reinstalled from my original disc, and the script editor icon is still there in place of the PS icon, except that it is blank and therefore will not open at all. Any existing Photoshop files I have now open in Preview.
I have searched the knowledge base and have not seen a comparable problem Has anyone got any ideas?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

L
Lundberg02
Aug 8, 2008
Why don’t you go to Get Info and set PS 7 to open itself?
JM
J_Maloney
Aug 8, 2008
Right/control click on PS and show package contents. Find the app and try to launch it.
R
Ram
Aug 9, 2008
I’ve run Disc Doctor

As in Norton’s Disk Doctor??? Very, very bad idea,

Norton is NASTY stuff in OS X. Stay away from anything with the Norton name if you’re on any version of OS X, especially do NOT let anything with the Norton name (like Norton Anti Virus, File Saver) ever reside on your computer.

NAV (Norton Anti Virus) can lead to permanent file damage. Files damaged by NAV are not recoverable. NAV can also prevent many PostScript files from parsing, even if not damaged permanently.

Disk Doctor and Speed Disk are known to cause the kind of directory damage that can lead to kernel panics.

<http://www.macmaps.com/kernelpanic.html>

Another excellent reason to steer clear from all things Norton!

The kernel panic FAQ is divided by the order of most common occurrences of kernel panics:

# Directory
# Drivers
# Permissions
# RAM

1. A directory failure or user accidentally moving .kext files that should be left alone. The directory may fail, due to an accident caused by Norton Utilities or Systemworks, which may at random corrupt a directory even when trying to repair it. Norton Anti-Virus will not do this, but Norton Disk Doctor and Norton Speed Disk have a history of doing this.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections