GS
Posted By
George_Stark
Jul 26, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve optimized my photos in photoshop and now its time to display the photos at their best quality on the web.

I’m curious how working photographers proceed at this point. What methods are used to get your final image optimized for best quality viewing on the web?

My understanding is that maximum file dimensions should be in the 800 x 600 range, with a file size not much larger than 100k.

Any reason to look at larger file sizes?
Does it matter if a web site is Flash or not? (As it pertains to file size’s)

Panoramas:
Say I have a file with dimensions of 7968 x 2342. Is there a method for determining the correct size to display a pano on the web ?

It would seem they have to be larger than 800 X 600 to retain the feel of a Panorama?

Ok poor out your secrets here ..heh..

Thanks for any help

George

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Buko
Jul 26, 2008
make them as big or small as you want. more people have high speed connections so size is not the issue it used to be.
B
Buko
Jul 26, 2008
I tend to use Flash galleries as is makes it a spot harder to grab the images.
MM
mr_man
Aug 4, 2008
hi george (and buko)

i’m pondering the same questions right now.
althouggh i have been creating websites and wrestling with these issues since 1999. ive spent lots of time and energy post-producing my 2:3 monochromes, and its frustrating to only publish something that will fit
in a 800×600 potential monitor screen. even 1024×768 is significantly reduced for real viewing space, when we allow for the browser status bar, address bar, nav buttons etc. the most recent survey info on have found on the net seems to suggest that 1024×768 is now the most common
screen resolution in use. however a 2:3 image, of 1000 width is still to tall to comfortably fit in the window of (firefox) at that size.

ive got used to my emac at 1280 x 960 =]

so it all depends on perceived user-base i guess.
is your content aimed at the general webpublic or at fellow photogs, creatives who may well have large/huge monitors.

i’m going to try a 900 width.

best

matt
MM
mr_man
Aug 4, 2008

p.s i agree with buko regarding kb size. i’m exporting jpegs at 95% which is really fine quality and the files are about 300kb a pop.
broadband is very common now across europe/usa/asia and also i feel that if people are interested in what i am doing they will give the content a chance.

matt

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections