Posted By
jason
Jan 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
I’m using Photoshop to do large format printing design for tradeshow displays etc.
I’m running into the problem of Photoshop not allowing me to save files larger than 2 GB. Is there a way around this, or is this even a Photoshop problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. J

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

T
tacitr
Jan 12, 2004
I’m using Photoshop to do large format printing design for tradeshow displays etc.
I’m running into the problem of Photoshop not allowing me to save files larger than 2 GB.

Yep, that’s right.

You don’t say what operating system you’re using, but in many operating systems and platforms, there is a 2GB limit on the size of any single file. It’s a filesystem limitation, not a Photoshop limitation.

Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
BV
Bart van der Wolf
Jan 13, 2004
"J Gateman" wrote in message
Hi,
I’m running into the problem of Photoshop not allowing me to save files larger than 2 GB. Is there a way around this, or is this even a Photoshop problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I assume you Flattened the to be printed copy of the image before printing? Is any of the dimensions exceeding 32737 pixels?
Is the file16-bits/channel or 8 bpc?

2GB is an operating system limitation.

Bart
J
jason
Jan 13, 2004
I’m running OS X 10.2.6 on a G4 Mac. I had been running into the same problem on Windows 2000 Pro and was thinking it was a Photoshop limitation. Thanks for clearing that up. All the files I try and save are layered so that the original working files are preserved. Looks like I will have to try and come up with another way to save them. Thanks!
EG
Eric Gill
Jan 13, 2004
(J Gateman) wrote in
news::

I’m running OS X 10.2.6 on a G4 Mac. I had been running into the same problem on Windows 2000 Pro and was thinking it was a Photoshop limitation. Thanks for clearing that up. All the files I try and save are layered so that the original working files are preserved. Looks like I will have to try and come up with another way to save them.

Adobe came up with a new format/hack to increase this limit in CS.

Do a web search for "PSB format Photoshop CS."
J
JJS
Jan 13, 2004
"J Gateman" wrote in message
I’m running OS X 10.2.6 on a G4 Mac. I had been running into the same problem on Windows 2000 Pro and was thinking it was a Photoshop limitation. Thanks for clearing that up. All the files I try and save are layered so that the original working files are preserved. Looks like I will have to try and come up with another way to save them. Thanks!

You _can_ work on PS files in sections.
S
saswss
Jan 13, 2004
In article ,
(Tacit) writes:
I’m running into the problem of Photoshop not allowing me to save files larger than 2 GB.

Yep, that’s right.

You don’t say what operating system you’re using, but in many operating systems and platforms, there is a 2GB limit on the size of any single file. It’s a filesystem limitation, not a Photoshop limitation.

2G is the file size limit for FAT, 4G for FAT32, and something up in the terabytes or petabytes for NTFS. But nobody should be using FAT or FAT32 for storing large image files.

Since Photoshop has a 2G limit on memory allocation, I would *guess* there might be a similar limit on file size.

Warren S. Sarle SAS Institute Inc. The opinions expressed here SAS Campus Drive are mine and not necessarily
(919) 677-8000 Cary, NC 27513, USA those of SAS Institute.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections