Posted By
Warren_Bach
Jul 22, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

Whenever I save an image as a jpg from Photoshop CS3 it will not show up in any browsers. It shows as a broken image icon. If I open it up in Photoshop CS2 and save it as a jpg it then will show up. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Jul 22, 2008
no.

If the jpg is for the web, use Save for web.
WB
Warren_Bach
Jul 22, 2008
Hi, I am using the "Save for Web" function.
B
Buko
Jul 22, 2008
is this on a website?

how are you using the browser to view the jpg?

What browser are you using.
WB
Warren_Bach
Jul 22, 2008
The images will show if I drag them into the browser from my desktop, in both Safari and Firefox. Once they are placed onto a website they will not work. I tried 2 different web servers just to make sure it was not a problem with my web host.

I tried a different computer with CS3 and the same thing is happening. Could CS3 have changed a setting somewhere?
B
Buko
Jul 22, 2008
I have no idea as all my Jpegs work. do you have a link to where they are not showing? and a link to the CS2 images that are showing?
WB
Warren_Bach
Jul 22, 2008
It seems like this problem is affecting both my CS2 and CS3 jpgs. Here are the two links:

<http://www.southwesternsouvenirs.com/test_cs2.jpg>

<http://www.southwesternsouvenirs.com/test_cs3.jpg>

Now neither one is working, but if I work on my home computer without CS3, I don’t have problems with jpgs that I create.
JP
jean_p
Jul 22, 2008
I downloaded your image, it sill open in photoshop but not in my Apple apps.

I resaved it through CS3 Save for Web, and uploaded it to one of my servers, it works fine for me now

<http://www.stlouisartistsguild.org/test_cs2_2.jpg>

are you using Save for Web? The images are quite large to have gone through Save For Web…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 22, 2008
My guess is that there are links missing in the path that you posted?

If you click on,
<http://www.southwesternsouvenirs.com/>

you come to a home page that shows a single image.

Perhaps the site needs to have your additional images enclosed in a subfolder and to be directly linked to one of the buttons on the main page?
WB
Warren_Bach
Jul 22, 2008
Ann, those images where saved before I got CS3 and work fine.

Jean, I am using the "Save for Web and Devices . . ." menu option. I resaved them smaller to see if that could be the problem but it is not.
B
Buko
Jul 22, 2008
you get that questionmark when there is no link to the photo.
JP
jean_p
Jul 22, 2008
Warren, do you see the version I posted okay? (obviously, your link was good, because I was able to download the image)

I can only guess that it is either your upload process, or the final server, that is causing the issue.

You could download the version I posted, and try uploading it, because we know it is good…

Are you using an FTP program? Do you have another upload route you could try?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 22, 2008
I still think that the problem lies in your html code that links the opening page back to the actual JPEG.

The blue question mark means that the html link to your image is broken. Did you perhaps change the name of your images?
JP
jean_p
Jul 22, 2008
the files are where he says they are. I was able to download both, and open them in Photoshop. Other apps seem not to be able to open them, so something is subtly wrong with them.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 22, 2008
If I re-save one of his JPEGs for Web using Maximum quality, the file size reduces from his original 352K to 170 K.

Were these images originally saved as "Progressive" JPEGs?
WB
Warren_Bach
Jul 22, 2008
Jean you have solved my problem! The problem was my FTP software all along. I uploaded the files through a browser and it works. Your a Jeanius!

When I figure out what the setting in my ftp software is that is causing the problem I will post it here, just in case anyone else has a similar problem,

Thanks for everyones input.
JP
jean_p
Jul 22, 2008
cool. What FTP app are you using?

and wait a minute… you uploaded your files through a browser? Are you on Mac?
WB
Warren_Bach
Jul 22, 2008
I am using Interarchy, and the problem seemed to be that it had the setting to convert the files to Macbinary when transferring.

I used my web hosts control panel to upload though my browser. So, technically I did not really use the browser. : )
JP
jean_p
Jul 22, 2008
oaky, got it. 🙂 Thanks for the wrap-up.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 22, 2008
You just drag-copied the necessary html pages and image files across from your desktop to your web host’s folder ?

That’s much the easiest way to do this sort of thing..

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections