Beginner’s question re:SAM’s TY CS3 in 24 hours…

AB
Posted By
anon_b52
Jul 20, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Presently I am teaching myself to use Photoshop CS3 on a Macbook Pro. In my tutorial the picture of the brushes palette includes Diameter, Flip X/Y, Angle, Roundness, Hardness, and Spacing.

The problem is that my brushes palette only includes master diameter.

I’m quite frustrated at this point, so I appreciate any explanation a more experienced user could offer.

Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

NT
Nini Tj
Jul 20, 2008
Click Brush Tip Shape in the palette and they will appear.
CB
charles badland
Jul 20, 2008
Sams Teach Yourself Adobe Photoshop CS3 in 24 Hours

good luck…
B
Buko
Jul 20, 2008
And to think I’ve wasted all these years when I could have learned it in 24 hrs
JJ
John Joslin
Jul 20, 2008
I’m kicking myself too!

If only I’d known. πŸ™
BG
barry_gray
Jul 20, 2008
Oh come on guys, why do you have to belittle a beginner? This forum was starting to look very much better, I had hoped, but apparently you just can’t help yourselves.The vacation is over-what a shame. πŸ™
JJ
John Joslin
Jul 20, 2008
Nobody is belittling anybody.

We are just pointing out the ludicrous title of the book in question.

As if …
BG
barry_gray
Jul 21, 2008
Come on John, you Buko and Charles gallantly put down the Op’s selection of a $30 book. You really don’t get it and never will. You made "anon" feel like a fool for his choice of a book!
I’ve been in and out of this forum since PS 5, and I’m appalled at the self aggrandizing arrogance of a handful of regulars these days.
A better response would be to recommend a better book, after all you are the "experts"-no? You’ve read them all.
Am I being too sensitive? Maybe, but I’ve bailed out of this forum precisely because of the arrogance of a small handful. And there are dozens like me, maybe 100’s. I could list many including some "real" pro’s that are gone. Rarely does a newby return after one of you gets hold of him/her. If you’ve not noticed that, you too are so wrapped up in your self worth that you are completely blind to reality.
Right now I’ll bet "anon" will not return. Sad indeed!
CB
charles badland
Jul 21, 2008
Come on John, you Buko and Charles gallantly put down the Op’s selection of a $30 book.

Oh no no no no!
I did not at all mean to belittle "anon b52"! Sorry if it came across that way. Just wanted to point out the absurdity of "teaching yourself" Adobe Photoshop CS3 in 24hrs. Tick, tick, tick…
BG
barry_gray
Jul 21, 2008
Charles, you sir just fell into an unfortunate series of events. I do know your contributions here and find them more than admirable. The same goes for John, in most cases. Neither of you qualify for my short list of detractors.
I just had High hopes for Niels attempt at reformation…I remain a serious skeptic and am using this thread as an example.
Sorry, but, I’m sticking with it. πŸ™ πŸ™‚
CB
charles badland
Jul 21, 2008
I remain a serious skeptic and am using this thread as an example. Sorry, but, I’m sticking with it.

You could do better! πŸ˜‰

And I do think things have improved a bit since Neil’s edict. We’ll see.
NA
Not_Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 21, 2008
’24 hours’ means 24 lessons that each take about an hour. The absurdity is assuming the book is meant to teach an entire topic to a master level within 24 consecutive hours. Sams 24 hour series (on the entire range of computer topics) are very worthwhile.

Honestly, I don’t see any belittling of anon b52. I see some regulars indicating their inexperience with training books and how much longer it takes them to learn an application. They seem to be belittling themselves.
B
Buko
Jul 21, 2008
barry if you can’t have a bit of fun in your life you might as well give it up.
AB
anon_b52
Jul 21, 2008
Thanks Nini!

You win 3 free internets! πŸ™‚
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 22, 2008
Folks,

I think we all agree that it is an unfortunate title for a book, even a beginner’s book. One can argue that it is easy to learn to play the piano in 24 hours as well. Practice and experience get brushed aside in both examples.

I agree that I don’t think anyone was intentionally putting down anon. Moving ahead, which novice titles would someone recommend for learning Photoshop?

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 22, 2008
Well to briefly move back for a quick moment:

I have not, and will not, buy ANY books from either "Sam’s 24-hour" series (because I consider those titles to be so misleading to the purchaser that they are almost fraudulent); nor would I buy anything from the "Idiot’s Guide to Β… " series.

I have always been puzzled as to why anybody would want to have such an embarrassing title as the latter on plain view in their bookcase?

8/

For a novice learning Photoshop from the beginning?

Try Adobe’s Classroom in a Book for starters; then follow-up with Haynes & Crumpler’s "Photoshop Artistry".

Then, if you really want to get your teeth into the subject, there is really only one choice: Bruce Fraser’s "Real World Photoshop".
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 22, 2008
Everyone has a different learning curve, and much of that ‘learning curve’ is based on how you are using Photoshop. Some tutorials I’ve worked through I’ve never used again, so they provided a way to knowing what is available even if I’ve never used the technique or feature in an actual working situation. What I really want to do with Photoshop is to fulfill customer’s requests in a professional manner. This generally means that I need to know everything that Photoshop will do. Learning all of that can take upwards of 15 years of actual professional working experience. Why so much? Because clients can bring you into unknown territory with needs that no one could have imagined. Actually applying Photoshop to work out real world work situations will take you well beyond what any books contain.

"Learning Photoshop In 24 Hours" is a fine learning tool as it brought the user here to ask questions. That’s a good thing.

Ken
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 22, 2008
One thing that must be emphasized is practice. And do more practice. And don’t be afraid to try every menu, brush and button selection to understand what they do — or don’t do. The most you might have to do is reset Photoshop’s preferences. (Or discover you need to buy more RAM or a larger hard drive — or faster computer!)

Neil
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jul 22, 2008
Those ’24-hour’ books are perfectly fine and anon b52 has no reason to second guess the decision to make use of the book.

‘Adobe’s Classroom in a Book’ is structured in the exact same way that the Sams book is structured. Both have introductions that cover topics to be learned and end each chapter with review questions.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 22, 2008
Except that she clearly stated that she was "quite frustrated at this point," so I imagine that that book is not as clearly written, illustrated and explained as it might be?

As I have said, I have no experience with any of the books in that series because I find the implications of the very title of the series to be bordering on the misleading Β— if not downright fraudulent.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jul 22, 2008
When one states that they have absolutely no experience with the book, their criticisms about it are pointless (especially when they recommend Adobe CIB, which is identical in content). There is an expression about judging a book that I can’t seem to recall immediately. πŸ™‚

This is deja vu all over again <http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?14@@.59b528c3/7>.
CB
charles badland
Jul 22, 2008
If you can put up the silly jokes scattered throughout, Deke McClelland’s video training "Photoshop CS3 One-on-One: The Essentials" is good for a beginner. Available, along with MANY other training videos/books at Lynda.com.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 22, 2008
My criticism is with the Publisher Β— and with the Titles that he has given to that entire series.

Was Anon led to purchase the book because she believed the premise, implied by the title, that she could really learn Photoshop in 24 hours?

And does she find that the book fulfils her expectations resulting from the implicit claim in its Title?

Best advice: Go to Borders and browse the shelves for a book that actually works for YOU and the way that YOU learn.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jul 22, 2008
There is no indication that anon b52 did not choose this book after evaluating several. You might be reading too much in to this (pun intended).

The title does not say ‘become a Photoshop expert in 24 hours’. We recognize that one does not stay up 24 hours straight to learn anything. We read the cover to realize that there are 24 one hour lessons that we can learn over any period of time. The book that anon b52 holds in their hands clearly states: Please donΒ’t try to do it all in one 24-hour day, even if you could. I’m not sure why the title is an issue for anyone.

Anon’s frustration may be due to the medium of the instruction. No book is going to easily teach Photoshop’s UI better than video training. If you use iTunes, go to the podcast directory and search for ‘Photoshop’ for many, many hours of free video training podcasts (vodcasts).
L
Lundberg02
Jul 22, 2008
"Jim Jordan"
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jul 22, 2008
"Lundberg02"
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 22, 2008
Ships in the night.

Either that, or kindergarten all over again.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 22, 2008
OK, gentlemen. Let’s not go down that road…

Let’s get back on topic, please!

Neil
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 22, 2008
What was the topic?

wasting band width?
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 22, 2008
I think the OP’s original question was addressed early on.

Neil
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 22, 2008
Nobody reads post #1.
L
Lundberg02
Jul 22, 2008
The fusion reaction equation is quite simple, but I don’t know what the hell you’re gonna do with all that helium.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 22, 2008
What are you going to do with all that rust?
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 22, 2008
And this has to do with Sam’s book, how?

Neil <g>
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 23, 2008
Learn How to Turn Water into Wine (or Gasoline) in 24 Hours?

Walking on said water?

Buy Volume Two.
NT
Nini Tj
Jul 23, 2008
To go back on topic (and out of the sandbox).

I would recommend any book on Photoshop by Ben Willmore. I’ve read a lot of Photoshop books over the years but Ben’s book (originally about Photoshop 7 ws the efirst one from him I saw) was the first one that really got me to understand WHY you do one thing or another in Photoshop and not only lists of do this and then do that. I trust his later books are just as good as that one which at least for me gave a deeper understanding of how Photoshop actually works and why you do things in a certain way. If you understand why you do something, then you will also be able to do it. I’ve also used it in teaching PS both to beginners and slightly more advanced users.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections