B
Posted By
bgold
Oct 21, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey, I’m a beginner with photoshop, and I suspect this is kind of stupid question, but here goes…

Can you have transparent pixels as part of a layer? Every time I create a layer I either have to copy/cut an existing image (made up of pixels), or I create the layer by drawing something, and the layer becomes only the pixels that I’ve drawn.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

P
pico
Oct 21, 2007
"bgold" wrote in message

Can you have transparent pixels as part of a layer? Every time I create a layer I either have to copy/cut an existing image (made up of pixels), or I create the layer by drawing something, and the layer becomes only the pixels that I’ve drawn.

Do you really mean layer? Are you creating additional layers, or just drawing on the existing one?
B
bgold
Oct 21, 2007
On Oct 21, 4:32 am, "pico" <pico.pico.net> wrote:
"bgold" wrote in message

Do you really mean layer? Are you creating additional layers, or just drawing on the existing one?

Um… yes, I think I mean layer. What I’m asking is: can I have a surface area of a fixed size that I can move around, containing transparent pixels, with maybe some colored pixels?
R
ronviers
Oct 21, 2007
On Oct 21, 1:51 am, bgold wrote:
Hey, I’m a beginner with photoshop, and I suspect this is kind of stupid question, but here goes…

Hi,
The answer will be different if you are trying to position a word on a background or a glass on a table.
One possibility is that you can use one of the Lasso or Marquee tools to define an area then copy/paste to create a new layer. Then the new layer’s position can be changed using the Move tool and the transparency can be lowered using the Opacity slider.
You can also drag a layer to the New Layer icon then use the Move tool to reposition that.

Good luck with your project,
Ron
P
pico
Oct 21, 2007
"bgold" wrote in message
On Oct 21, 4:32 am, "pico" <pico.pico.net> wrote:

Um… yes, I think I mean layer. What I’m asking is: can I have a surface area of a fixed size that I can move around, containing transparent pixels, with maybe some colored pixels?

I wonder if we aren’t mistaking a layer. Create a new layer. Draw something on it that, for example a squiggle using a brush. You should be able to take the regular select arrow (top of tools pallet) and drag it around. The other layers will not be effected.
T
Tacit
Oct 22, 2007
In article ,
bgold wrote:

Yes. Create the new layer using the ew layer button in the Layers palette. The New Layer button looks like a page with a corner turned down. Then add whatever pixels you like to the new layer in any way you like.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
J
Joe
Oct 22, 2007
bgold wrote:

You just need to set Photoshop to start with a tranparent canvas/layer then it should do. I don’t remember exactly where the option is except it’s somewhere in the Preferences.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections