Posted By
ericp06
Jul 18, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

Currently, I can run PS 5.5 either in OS 9.2.2 natively, on my G4 Sawtooth, or in 9.2.2 Classic Mode under OS X 10.4.10, on my G4 Quicksilver. Overall performance is fine by me under each system, but I prefer running the app on the Sawtooth, as it has 1.25GB of RAM (and about 150MB allocated to PS’ preferred size). I know how the app likes plenty of RAM 🙂 For the scratch disk, I use a partition of just under 1GB.

Most of what I print consists of color images of artwork I’ve found on the Web and edited, and most of that was digitally created, scanned, and uploaded. I print using an HP Photosmart 1215 (with current drivers on both systems) on plain, white printer paper. My editing efforts are to get as close to a "realistic" look as possible, as though looking at the subject with one’s own eyes rather than looking at a piece of art…but there’s only so much one can do to this end, right? 😉 I go for realistic flesh tones and contrasts to reflect the relative environment in the image.

My strategy has been to save images in 72 or 75 "dpi" (under Image Size in the app), and to change from RGB to CMYK color before printing. When possible, I like to fit the image as close to 8"x10", scaling as needed to fit a standard 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper. I’ve noticed that printing this way sometimes results in colors being less vibrant than they are if I leave them in RGB mode, but I can compensate for that.

I’d like to know what I can do to bring out the highest possible quality when printing. Any and all details are welcome, especially regarding settings in Photoshop itself. Directing me to helpful information on the ‘net is also most welcome!

TIA and happy imaging,
Eric

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

TB
The Bobert
Jul 18, 2007
In article ,
"Eric P. Peterson" wrote:

Most of what I print consists of color images of artwork I’ve found on the Web and edited, and most of that was digitally created, scanned, and uploaded. I print using an HP Photosmart 1215 (with current drivers on both systems) on plain, white printer paper. My editing efforts are to get as close to a "realistic" look as possible, as though looking at the subject with one’s own eyes rather than looking at a piece of art…but there’s only so much one can do to this end, right? 😉 I go for realistic flesh tones and contrasts to reflect the relative environment in the image.

My strategy has been to save images in 72 or 75 "dpi" (under Image Size in the app), and to change from RGB to CMYK color before printing. When possible, I like to fit the image as close to 8"x10", scaling as needed to fit a standard 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper. I’ve noticed that printing this way sometimes results in colors being less vibrant than they are if I leave them in RGB mode, but I can compensate for that.
I’d like to know what I can do to bring out the highest possible quality when printing. Any and all details are welcome, especially regarding settings in Photoshop itself. Directing me to helpful information on the ‘net is also most welcome!

TIA and happy imaging,
Eric

To me this sounds like you are trying to make a silk purse from a pigs ear. Can you say "garbage in–garbage out.

Auntie Em: Hate you, hate Kansas, taking the dog. -Dorothy."

Bob in Central CA
E
ericp06
Jul 18, 2007
In article ,
The Bobert wrote:

In article ,
"Eric P. Peterson" wrote:

TIA and happy imaging,
Eric

To me this sounds like you are trying to make a silk purse from a pigs ear. Can you say "garbage in–garbage out.

Well, I’m just interested in getting the best quality relative to what I have to work with here…

– E
A
akiersky
Aug 14, 2007
First of all to print anything out at reasonable quality needs at least 200dpi prefirably even higher (http://
www.photoshopessentials.com/essentials/image-quality.php for more info), secondly, printing on printer paper is always going to suck, go for some high quality glossy paper, usually the more expensive the better (http://greggman.com/pages/papertest/paper_test.htm) . CMYK is better of course for printing so stick with that, but also make sure your printer and monitor are calibrated or at least learn the differences they have and adapt for them (you can never get it perfect).

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections