Plain clicking on a toolbox item immediately (not after a hold-down and click) opens its options

AF
Posted By
Andrej_Favia
Feb 11, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Plain clicking on a toolbox item immediately (not after a hold-down and click) opens its options

This is a weird problem in that [1] it just started today, [2] Photoshop was recently reinstalled from the CD two weeks ago, [3] I never once saw an issue like this, and [4] searching with terms such as "toolbox options click" and "tools click immediately" in both the forums and the knowledgebase was impossible. All right, so let’s say that I want to select the marquee. Normally, I would have to hold down the mouse button for around 0.25 seconds in order to get its options to appear. But just today, the instant that I click on the marquee tool (or any other tool with the arrow at the lower right corner), the options appear, and I have to do a second click to make them go away. (Actually, there is still a delay, but instead of 0.25 seconds, it’s more like 0.05 seconds. So, a very quick tap of the mouse button works to avoid the problem, but I don’t work with computers like that.) In other words, the options immediately appear upon clicking, and this never used to be.

I restarted Photoshop, but the problem remained. I tried removing the Photoshop-related preferences out of my preference folder and then reopening Photoshop, but the problem remained. I even removed the Adobe folder from both Application Support folders (Hard Drive and user), but the problem still persisted. This problem does not exist in ImageReady.

So, what’s going on?

iMac G5
Mac OS X 10.4.8
1.25GB RAM
Photoshop 7.0.1 and ImageReady 7.0.1

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
Phosphor
Feb 11, 2007
Try adjusting your system’s mouse prefs.

Maybe try ditching the preferences (.plist file) for your mouse and rebuilding them?
AF
Andrej_Favia
Feb 11, 2007
Very strange indeed. The double-click speed is in sync with the speed of toolbox item option menus.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections