Image doesn’t open when double-clicked or dragged to Photoshop icon (CS on Mac OS X v.10.3)

RW
Posted By
RD_Webster
Jul 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The knowledge base information on this topic (which is a problem I have running PS CS on OS X 10.3.4) states that this can result from upgrading the OS from an earlier version than 10.3. However, I installed PS CS on a new system that already had OS X 10.3 installed.

Questions:

1. Any ideas what might cause this problem?

2. Will a delete and reinstall (suggested as option 2 of solutions) mean that all new plug-ins need to be reinstalled (i.e., is ANYTHING in the PS CS state saved when the application is deleted and reinstalled)?

3. When I attempt to clone my HD to an external HD, the only error message I get during the process points to a file in Photoshop (don’t recall the exact message, but it may have to do with permissions). Is a delete and reinstall of PS CS the best remedy for such problems?

Thanks for any help … other than these oddities, everything is working just fine.

FWIW: I’ve got a dual 2 GHz PowerMac G5 w/1.5 Gb memory running OS X 10.3.4.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ram
Jul 25, 2004
The FAQs address this issue. Make sure you read the second solution, as you already stated the first one doesn’t apply to you.

In short: you’re missing an essential file:

Scott Weichert "Double clicking/drag and drop Photoshop files opens application but not file." 5/18/04 12:55pm </cgi-bin/webx?50>

You may want to search the forum too. This is THE most frequently asked question.
R
Ram
Jul 25, 2004
Also:

Try Repairing Permissions (with Apple’s Disk Utility) BEFORE and AFTER any system upgrade as well as BEFORE and AFTER installing any software that uses an installer.

I know it sounds like OS X voodoo, and it is; but it fixes and prevents a bunch of problems.

Additionally, if your machine does not run 24/7 so that it runs the daily, weekly and monthly Cron Scripts in the middle of the night as intended, run Cocktail (shareware) as well.
AS
andrew_spiering
Jul 25, 2004
just reinstall photoshop its the easy fix.. this happens when people update from 10.2.8 to 10.3.x it moves a link file and does not move it over to the correct folder
RW
RD_Webster
Jul 25, 2004
Thanks for suggestions. Also failing is HPs scanning "to Photoshop" option … sounds like it’s probably the same problem.

I’ll definitely run the disk utility again (I had done that, but will try again).

My only concern with reinstalling Photoshop is losing any new plug-ins and customization of settings I’ve made. I was wondering if installing without deleting would avoid that … or if deleting Photoshop doesn’t actually remove all folders and files. If I could reinstall without deleting the installed version, then I’d be more comfortable that settings would be preserved … couldn’t find any guidance in Adobe materials.

I appreciate all your comments.

Bob
B
Buko
Jul 25, 2004
Just install it on the desktop. then you can throw it away. Now you have the correct files installed for the system to link the files to the app. and because you installed to the desktop your original photoshop folder in applications is untouched.
RW
RD_Webster
Jul 25, 2004
Thanks … that’s very clear.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections