photoshop to poster – what format is optimal?

SF
Posted By
Stephen_Fielding
Nov 17, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, I’m creating several one page promotional sheets for a meeting with a brodcaster and have found myself working one one computer creating the one-sheets but intending to save a file to disc (or email) for intended print-out in another location.

What file format should I save to when attempting to move and print-out the highest quality end product? Should I simply keep things in psd format throughout the entire process?

These one sheets have both text and pictures – once again quality is key.

Cheers
Stephen

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

S
stevent
Nov 17, 2006
IMO, For the final artwork an HQ PDF or TIFF would probably suit – depending upon your printers wants/needs (always talk to the printer, especially if you’ve never worked with them before).

Whilst working on the file, PSD or layered uncompressed TIFF.
SF
Stephen_Fielding
Nov 17, 2006
Thanks, when creating pdf’s I see that they shrink in data size compared to their original. Does this ‘shrinking’ take away from the quality at the print stage, and if so, am I better to go with a different format – perhaps TIFF (as you have indicated.)

My goal is to take a file from the computer where I am working and print it our on a computer that is all geared up with a nice printer.

Thanks for chiming in on this one!!

Cheers
Stephen
B
Bernie
Nov 17, 2006
What do you mean by shinking?

Downsampling or compression?
SF
Stephen_Fielding
Nov 18, 2006
Hi, I think I mean compression. When I make a pdf it always comes out at a smaller data size then the original. This ‘reduction/shrinking’ has me concerned (perhaps in error)that a printed PDF may suffer a quiality compared to a printed original psd file.

My goal is to create a psd ‘work’then transfer to another system to print…just did not want to loose any quality during the ‘transfer’

What is the industry standard in file creation, with respect to my needs…

thanks for everyones’ input, please keep it coming

Cheers
L
LenHewitt
Nov 18, 2006
Stephen,

When I make a pdf it always comes out at a smaller data size then the
original.<<

Much depends upon your PDF settings. You may have sub-sampling selected, for example. Also you can choose the amount of compression and the compression method, whether lossy (JPG) or Lossless (zip).

Each will affect both file size and quality.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections