K
Posted By
Keith8
Mar 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have found this program to be way over my head.
Can someone recomend an easy program to use?
I just want to edit home pictures, I don’t do this for a living.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ray
Mar 4, 2004
Microsoft Picture It! is easy to learn. Less flexible, but you’ll be on your way in no time. Also,
there are basic photo fixing tools in another of Adobe’s product : Photoshop Album. It acts as photo organizer with some tool to fix color, red eyes, exposure, etc. You can download the starter edition. I’d recommend this one, if you really want to do small touchups.

Ray
GD
Grant_Dixon
Mar 4, 2004
Keith

Yes there is a bit of a learning curve with Elements and if you can invest the time it is worth it. That being said there are lots of less demanding programs out there and one that comes to mind is Adobe Photoshop Album 2.0. There is a starter program that is free and may be enough for you at http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopalbum/starter.html Good luck!

Grant
K
Keith8
Mar 4, 2004
Do they make the program for macs?
GD
Grant_Dixon
Mar 4, 2004
Keith

Unfortunately they don not make album for the Mac. Now I will have to pass the ball off to the Mac users on this forum.

Grant
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Mar 4, 2004
Keith,

What OS are you using? iPhoto for OS X has some limited editing capabilities. You could also check Version Tracker <http://www.versiontracker.com> for photo editing programs. I’m sure there’s a ton out there.

What exactly do you want to do with your photos? You say you just want to edit home pictures, but what does that mean?

Joe
PA
Patti_Anderson
Mar 4, 2004
I found this nifty little Flash format/eBook for learning the basics of Elements and it’s only $12. What’s really cool is it’s animated. You can download the demo to try it out or go here and see some of it on line:

<http://simplephotoshop.com/photoshop_elements/tutorials.htm>

It also includes a few hidden extra add-ins like…Layer Masks, Channels, etc. which you can add to your Effects palette. What’s really unique is they included a way to turn them off and on.

Patti
BH
Beth_Haney
Mar 4, 2004
Patti, it looks like that’s a Win program – or at least the specs say nothing about Mac compatibility.

Keith – if you’re using OS X, the Joe’s suggestion of trying iPhoto is good. It should already be installed on your computer.

If you’re using an earlier OS, you might want to look around and see if you can find Adobe PhotoDeluxe on eBay. It’s a nice, simple little piece of software that would do what you want it to.

Now that you’ve already made the investment in Elements, though, if you’ll post some information about the image files that you want to edit, we can probably give you some "down and dirty" instructions for accomplishing what you want without much hassle.
MR
Mark_Reibman
Mar 4, 2004
Before I embarked on Photoshop Elements I used the free Mac OS program Pixelnhance.It is super easy. For a short time Apple included it with new computers. While I would encourage you to learn some basic tools in Elements (Quick Fix for starters) Pixelnhance may be more comfortable for you right now. Here is a link, click on Pixelnhance and it will lead you to the download link. Problem is, I think the software company has closed down (their site is definitely gone) and they are bundling together all their software for the download which is 56MB. If you have the bandwidth this shouldn’t be a problem. They had some good software but it’s a tough field to compete in.

< http://www.hubblemac.com/analysis/software/creative/pixelPg1 .html>
BH
Beth_Haney
Mar 4, 2004
Mark, I just looked, and Pixelnhance is loaded on this computer I got a couple of weeks ago (had Jag installed because it was a refurb), so maybe Keith will find it on his, too. I haven’t made my way through all the stuff on this thing yet. 🙂
ML
Marty_Landolt
Mar 4, 2004
Keith8, I think, like Beth said, that you would do fine with PSE 2 once you got a little help and believe you me, this is the place and Beth is so good with explaining things.
I can’t wait till I get over this beginner stage and am able to Help someone. Marty
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Mar 4, 2004
Keith,

When I first started using Element I thought it was way above my head .. too complicated and difficult for me and then I found this forum and decided to stick with Elements. The way I learned was to try a tutorial or two … first I did simple ones and then moved on to more complicated ones. I asked dozens of questions and everyone here helped me.

Elements can be used on many different levels .. if you don’t want to use the more advanced parts of it then you don’t need to.

To do simple photo enhancements play around with a copy of your photograph … start off with ENHANCE>AUTO LEVELS, Explore ENHANCE>AUTO CONTRAST and AUTOCOLOR CORRECTION … take out minor blemishes using the clone tool.

Start simple and build up slowly … ask as many questions as you want … everyone here will help. Most of us started off by just wanting edit our home pictures.

Give it a couple of months and you will be amazed just how much you have learned. If I can do it … so can you 🙂

Wendy
JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 5, 2004
Keith, check out this program

freebie version available here;

<http://ultimatepaint.j-t-l.com/>

plan on downloading it for my daughter when we get her PC set up and running.
BH
Beth_Haney
Mar 5, 2004
Will it run on a Mac, Jodi?! 🙂
BG
Byron Gale
Mar 5, 2004
The first sentence on the web site… "Ultimate Paint is a full-featured 32-bit Windows graphics program for image creation, viewing and manipulation."

Not a Mac in sight…
JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 5, 2004
ya, I guess if it doesn’t say it …it probably wont…WHAT I don’t understand; since Macs have the reputation of being used by ‘graphics people ‘…then why Oh why are most programs/plug-ins aimed towards Windoze users ???
MM
Mac_McDougald
Mar 5, 2004
That "reputation" hangs on, but hasn’t really been valid for years.

Can’t get around the fact that Macintosh has 2-7% of personal computer market share, depending on which stats you want to believe. So it’s certainly understandable that software developers may not invest in the much smaller payout possibilities. Heck, even virus/worm coders bypass the OS 🙂

Mac
BH
Beth_Haney
Mar 5, 2004
"Heck, even virus/worm coders bypass the OS :-)"

Yeh, don’t they though. 🙂
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Mar 5, 2004
Ok, I just can’t stand keeping my mouth shut anymore… 🙂

WHAT I don’t understand; since Macs have the reputation of being used by ‘graphics people ‘…then why Oh why are most programs/plug-ins aimed towards Windoze users ???

Jodi, that program isn’t exactly a high-end one that a professional would use, now is it? No doubt there are a lot more graphics programs/plug-ins made for Windows but most all the high-end programs, geared toward "graphics people" have Mac versions.

That "reputation" hangs on, but hasn’t really been valid for years.

Well Mac, according to this NewsFactor article <http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/22197.html> the Mac is still the preferred platform by graphics people.

Quote:

Research firm TrendWatch notes that Apple’s share in its historically strong markets remains stable. For example, Macintoshes are used by 83 percent of graphic designers, 77 percent of corporate design departments, and 65 percent of ad agencies.

That came from a Sept 2003 article.

So it’s certainly understandable that software developers may not invest in the much smaller payout possibilities.

That’s true if you’re talking total market share numbers.

Heck, even virus/worm coders bypass the OS

You’re refering to the Security Through Obscurity myth. It’s been debunked and OS X (as well as every other non-Microsoft OS on the planet) has been proven more secure and harder to write virus’ and worms. It’s not invulnerable but it is much, much harder to comprimise than any version of Windows.

Total OS X virus’ to date: 0
Total Mac OS virus’ to date: 50-60
Total Windows virus’ to date: 60,000 and climbing!

Whew! My head almost exploded… 😉

Joe
MM
Mac_McDougald
Mar 5, 2004
Research firm TrendWatch notes that Apple’s share in its historically strong markets remains stable. For example, Macintoshes are used by 83 percent of graphic designers, 77 percent of corporate design departments, and 65 percent of ad agencies.
That came from a Sept 2003 article.

I just don’t believe it.

Mac
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Mar 5, 2004
Mac,

Prior to the third century, plenty of people didn’t (wouldn’t) believe that the world was round, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t (isn’t) true. 😉

Joe
JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 5, 2004
na na na na..bugs bunny discovered that !
MM
Mac_McDougald
Mar 5, 2004
It’s *round*?
Does NASA know about that?

Mac
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Mar 5, 2004
You’re right, it’s spherical. My bad…

Joe
MM
Mac_McDougald
Mar 6, 2004
I though somewhere just past Tibet was the edge of the world, where folks just walked off the edge.

I might have to cancel my Flat Earth Society membership!

Mac
GD
Grant_Dixon
Mar 6, 2004
Joe

In fact it’s and oblate spheroid.

Grant
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Mar 6, 2004
Anyone got an aspirin or two? My oblate spheroid is starting to ache.

Joe
JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 6, 2004
What’s the matter Joe ?
TF
Terri_Foster
Mar 6, 2004
Did we take a little trip to the Hubble site?
SA
Stephen_Alger
Apr 3, 2004
iPhoto has minimal editing capabilities.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Apr 3, 2004
here is a freeware program ( or shareware) that might be easier. I’d use it…if I didn’t have Photoshop;

<http://ultimatepaint.j-t-l.com/>
IH
Ingrid_Halvorsen
Apr 3, 2004
PS Elements2 is not really difficult to use, but you should do the tutorials that came with the software and others recommended in the Forum. They really do help. Do a Google search for "Photoshop Elements Tutorials" to find dozens of additional tutorials.

This forum is a great help, too. Subscribe to the strings that interest you. In the past week, I’ve discovered how to draw grass and hair, how to fake a layer mask, and where to find additional tools, "pre-sets" and "plug-ins" to add to the program (most of them free).

Pick up a PSE2 help book. I really liked "The Digital Photographer’s Guide to Photoshop Elements" and "One-Click WOW!" (that comes with lots of pre-set styles, brushes, etc. that can be added to PSE2), but there are many more. Pick one that shows pictures of the step-by-step instructions.

Another alternative might be an adult-education course through your local school district, usually very inexpensive and at night, you’ll learn the basics with a teacher handy to lean over your shoulder and give you pointers.

Understanding layers is the first thing you must learn. Once you understand that everthing you add (by pasting, by using the text tool, etc.) to the picture will appear on its own layer, the rest is home-free. Layers are a bit confusing at first, but are a good thing! You can insert new backgrounds, add people to pictures and do lots of other things because of layers. I worked with Photoshop LE for years without layers. Layers are an improvement!

PSE2 is a dynamite program–don’t give up on it yet!
IH
Ingrid_Halvorsen
Apr 3, 2004
Keith–it does take practice, lots of practice. Keep plugging away.
ML
Marty Landolt
Apr 4, 2004
Keith, I Agree … takes lots of practice but then each tiny small element you use of PSE gives you practice. If you only want the minimum, that’s OK because Elements also has the easy stuff too.
What are the main things you do with your photos? Start with the most common, like getting the photo straight and making it lighter or darker.
Then just read on that one topic or make a post here to get help on just one thing at a time. Do a search to find what others have said on the subjects that confuse you.
Honest, Keith, I have gotten so much help here and also from the reading matter that they recommend.
Marty

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections