GB
Posted By
g_ballard
Dec 11, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What is up with these Save errors that are cropping up lately for a lot of people?

I just started hitting them on two G4s, Photoshop ProgramError that won’t save to my desktop (but will save to another drive)

And now Acrobat FileError and I/O Errors that won’t save to any drive

CS2, 10.4.8 all updaters, nothing else changed

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ram
Dec 11, 2006
GB,

Did you apply the latest Apple Security Update? If so, run Cocktail, Repair Disk, Repair Permissions and DiskWarrior.

I had seen some flakiness after applying the update, including a strange turtle-dove sound about which I posted here.

Well, that night I ran all of the above, and the sounds stopped, as did all the other anomalies I had noticed. To the best of my recollection, the blurb to the update says something about fans, so it’s not that far fetched. I have not heard the sounds since. (Knocking on wood.)

My guess (nothing more than speculation) is that the update does not leave things quite as they should be.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 11, 2006
I have still not installed that update.

Among the flakiness being reported are myriad problems with MS Office programs although some people have apparently solved them by trashing a bunch of MS Prefs..
GB
g_ballard
Dec 11, 2006
Security Update 2006-007 is the only thing that comes up in SoftwareUpdate so I didn’t run it on either G4

Seeing is believing (on two machines here) so maybe there’s something going on — it’s very annoying…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 11, 2006
I would follow Ramón’s advice and run both DiskWarrior and Cocktail without further delay, if you haven’t yet done so, because you could easily have header/directory corruption on your HDs.
GB
g_ballard
Dec 11, 2006
I never use 3rd-party disk utilities — I would rather Erase and clone back my good backup — but that’s good advice for fixing problems that Disk Utility can’t fix…
R
Ram
Dec 11, 2006
GB,

You are missing out on some good stuff if you don’t use Cocktail. It can do things Disk Utility can’t.
R
Ram
Dec 11, 2006
Where would Apple be without 3rd party utilities?

Just think of font managers, for starters.
GB
g_ballard
Dec 11, 2006
Cocktail is okay here…I am talking about DiskWarrior, TechTool (and Norton in the old days).

Though your mileage may vary…
R
Ram
Dec 11, 2006
DiskWarrior is a necessity, GB. Not to run it routinely, but in many situations, nothing else will give you a hard drive back.
GB
g_ballard
Dec 11, 2006
agreed…
B
Buko
Dec 11, 2006
DiskWarrior will repair stuff Disk Utility can’t.

to not use it is silly.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections