O
Posted By
oraustin
Feb 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m developing a website in which a lot of the text (headings etc) are actually images created in photoshop.

I’d like to develop (or buy) a solution that auto creates the images from files of text, crops them to the smallest possible size that preserves the anti-aliasing and then saves them for the web as optimiszed gif files.

Please, actually, pretty please :o) does anyone have any pointers on how this is acheivable?

Thanks very much
Olly

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

S
saswss
Feb 11, 2004
In article ,
(oliver abroad) writes:
I’m developing a website in which a lot of the text (headings etc) are actually images created in photoshop.

I’d like to develop (or buy) a solution that auto creates the images from files of text, crops them to the smallest possible size that preserves the anti-aliasing and then saves them for the web as optimiszed gif files.

Please, actually, pretty please :o) does anyone have any pointers on how this is acheivable?

Download the Photoshop Scripting plug-in from Adobe’s web site.

Warren S. Sarle SAS Institute Inc. The opinions expressed here SAS Campus Drive are mine and not necessarily
(919) 677-8000 Cary, NC 27513, USA those of SAS Institute.
E
edjh
Feb 12, 2004
oliver abroad wrote:

Thanks very much
Olly
Can you provide an example of what it is you’re doing? I’m mystified.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Batman art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
O
oraustin
Feb 12, 2004
edjh …
oliver abroad wrote:

Thanks very much
Olly

Well the font we use in photoshop to create headings and text for our site is anti-aliased. As such we have to type the text into photshop (with the relevant font size, type, foreground and background colours(or graphic)). We then crop the image to the smallest size to preserve the anti-aliasing and save that as a gif. The gifs are then placed on the web page.

Thats what we do :o) I hope thats clear enough.
J
JJS
Feb 12, 2004
"oliver abroad" wrote in message

Well the font we use in photoshop to create headings and text for our site is anti-aliased. As such we have to type the text into photshop (with the relevant font size, type, foreground and background colours(or graphic)). We then crop the image to the smallest size to preserve the anti-aliasing and save that as a gif. The gifs are then placed on the web page.

Perfectly clear. I agree with Warren – scripting is the way to go. If scripting is too daunting a task (quite understandable) then you might consider spending the money to have a competent PS scripting programmer make the code for you.

As an aside – and important – is this something you wish to have on the network available to naive clients?
S
saswss
Feb 12, 2004
In article ,
(oliver abroad) writes:
edjh …
oliver abroad wrote:

Thanks very much
Olly

That’s pretty clear, but why bother? All you’re doing is making your web pages less accessible by preventing the user from changing the text size or font to soemthing the user can easily read. I assumed you wanted to apply some way-cool text effects or some such thing that might justify usuing Photoshop.

But if you really gotta do this, it would be trivial using Photoshop scripts for anybody familiar with scripting.

Warren S. Sarle SAS Institute Inc. The opinions expressed here SAS Campus Drive are mine and not necessarily
(919) 677-8000 Cary, NC 27513, USA those of SAS Institute.
O
oraustin
Feb 13, 2004

In article ,
(oliver abroad) writes:
edjh …
oliver abroad wrote:

Thanks very much
Olly

That’s pretty clear, but why bother? All you’re doing is making your web pages less accessible by preventing the user from changing the text size or font to soemthing the user can easily read. I assumed you wanted to apply some way-cool text effects or some such thing that might justify usuing Photoshop.

But if you really gotta do this, it would be trivial using Photoshop scripts for anybody familiar with scripting.

Well script is written (by me) in VB…next stage is to relate it to an Excel table (probably) that holds the text, fontsize, colour, filename etc. Only took about 4 hours to get on top of things from scratch.

Could you explain this comment please
"As an aside – and important – is this something you wish to have on the
network available to naive clients?"

As for it not been scalable etc…..it boils down to this….the designs are created by a design agency who don’t seem to understand the techincalites of the web in great detail. The actual customer don’t understand either/dont care.

They are happy just to have a good looking web presence. I’d question just how much return they truly get from their investment and how much thought goes into it (or rather who thinks about it)

The sites are designed for res viewer 800×600 with fixed size everything. Also it is deemed relatively large page sizes…100 up to 300k are acceptable.

I can’t tell you who the customer is of course…but I think you’d be surprised at what a large company this is for.

Anyway…thanks guys…next questions will be about interfacing with XL and converting word tables to Xl…cheers now
Olly
AM
Andrew Morton
Feb 20, 2004
Well script is written (by me) in VB…

..NET framework available?
How about the DrawString method, if you have the .NET documentation installed then it’s at
ms-help://MS.NETFrameworkSDK/cpref/html/frlrfSystemDrawingGr aphicsClassDrawStrin gTopic.htm

No Photoshop involved.

Andrew

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections