ZA
Posted By
Zaid Al-Hilali
Sep 30, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I used a plug-in called Pixelsmart few times in 2003, I can’t recall whether it was by Corel or other. Any way, I am in need of a procedure to scale up image massively say 300% and more with a good result.
These images are meant for Wide Format inkjet printers for posters and bilboards.

What do you suggest of a good plug-in, procedure, or action/script!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Buko
Sep 30, 2006
If its a digital camera image use bicubic smoother in one step.
B
Bernie
Sep 30, 2006
What is the current size and resolution of these images?

Wide format printing often only requires a resolution of 100 ppi. Billboards may require even less.
RM
Rick McCleary
Oct 1, 2006
At 300% to 500%, Genuine Fractals does a better job than Bicubic Smoother. Less than 300%, it’s a toss-up.
ZA
Zaid Al-Hilali
Oct 1, 2006
It is actually 300% up to 600% scaling, and generally it is not from a digital camera Buko, mostly it is either scanned in house or a royalty free image that will be inserted into an ad or something. Did you try bicubic smoother option on such scale percentage Buko? As I remember I experimented few PS options in the past but didn’t get satisfactory results for large scaling.
We printed some images @ 50ppi before, they didn’t look appealing from as close as 6feet, but once mounted high up in the road, its issues are pretty un-noticeable.
I looked at Genuine Fractals now, and believe this will serve the purpose. Many thanks.
B
Buko
Oct 1, 2006
I usually use ACR when I upscale.

I would never upscale a scanned image that much. only a Digital capture.
ZA
Zaid Al-Hilali
Oct 1, 2006
What is ACR if I may ask?
AR
alan_ruta
Oct 1, 2006
"Wide format printing often only requires a resolution of 100 ppi. Billboards may require even less. "

I’d take heed with what Nomad says. You may just be gilding the lily. I used to do magazine covers and at the end of an issue they would ask for a 300 dpi tiff (at magazine format size) for posters–and I’d see the (approx 4×5 feet) the poster plastered around town and they always looked great.

alan
R
Ram
Oct 1, 2006
Zaid,

What is ACR if I may ask?

ACR = Adobe Camera Raw. Buko is obviously referring to upsampling RAW images from a digital camera during the RAW conversion.
ZA
Zaid Al-Hilali
Oct 1, 2006
Great Ramon, obviously as Buko was referring to digital snap shots. Thanks to all.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections