Posted By
rdc86
Feb 6, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
hi

anyone know how to make the ruler scale fit the scale of the image?

I have scanned in a floorplan, and want to draw some more walls onto it, but the ruler scale doesn’t seem to adjust to the scale of the plan. So when I know my new wall has to be 850mm in life, how long do i draw it on the plan?

For instance, I have on the drawn plan, a wall length 1400mm. The ruler shows its length on the scanned-in image to be 2.75mm. How do I get the ruler to show 1400mm? Ideally, one would be able to do this by dragging the ruler out to the correct values – even to be able to drag it to 140, or 14 would help!

I know how to do this longhand, by working out a scaling factor and manually calculating each measurement, but surely photoshop can do this for me – can’t it?!!

thanks

tim

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

EG
Eric Gill
Feb 6, 2005
(ttmh) wrote in news:3140a250.0502060820.7b559800
@posting.google.com:

hi

Use a CAD package.

Sure, you can fiddledick with something made as an image editor, and through trial and error, get a methodology that works – kinda of. But why go to all the trouble just to get part of what you need?

<snip>
R
rdc86
Feb 7, 2005
ok, I guessed that one!
recomendations for a basic cad that does this please Eric? and do I assume that it CAN’T be done in Photoshop?
tim

Eric Gill …
(ttmh) wrote in news:3140a250.0502060820.7b559800
@posting.google.com:

hi

Use a CAD package.

Sure, you can fiddledick with something made as an image editor, and through trial and error, get a methodology that works – kinda of. But why go to all the trouble just to get part of what you need?
<snip>
B
Brian
Feb 8, 2005
ttmh wrote:

ok, I guessed that one!
recomendations for a basic cad that does this please Eric? and do I assume that it CAN’T be done in Photoshop?
tim

Tim,

Do you have Illustrator or CorelDraw? CorelDraw can definitely do what you are asking, so I would think Illustrator could too? Illustrator has the drawing ability, I am just not sure if its rulers can be calibrated. They can in C/Draw.

Brian.
B
Brian
Feb 8, 2005
Brian wrote:

ttmh wrote:

ok, I guessed that one!
tim

Tim,

Do you have Illustrator or CorelDraw? CorelDraw can definitely do what you are asking, so I would think Illustrator could too? Illustrator has the drawing ability, I am just not sure if its rulers can be calibrated. They can in C/Draw.

Brian.

2 other alternatives are Microsoft Visio and SmartDraw. These will both allow you to create and/or edit floorplans, with relative easy. Just drag and drop components onto the desktop, even furniture and fittings if that is what you want to do!

Brian.
R
rdc86
Feb 11, 2005
thanks Brian, as photoshop won’t do it, i’ll check out the other 2. tim
ps, anyone know if photoshop CS will do it?

Brian …
Brian wrote:

ttmh wrote:

ok, I guessed that one!
tim

Tim,

Brian.

2 other alternatives are Microsoft Visio and SmartDraw. These will both allow you to create and/or edit floorplans, with relative easy. Just drag and drop components onto the desktop, even furniture and fittings if that is what you want to do!

Brian.
HL
Harry Limey
Feb 11, 2005
"ttmh" wrote in message
Don’t think so – I suggest you try Serif Draw – it is one of the cheaper programmes but very easy to use and if you go to this site you can download the older versions of all their software!! The free version is Draw 4 whilst the current version is Draw 7 so things have moved on a bit since then! http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/products.asp
EG
Eric Gill
Feb 11, 2005
(ttmh) wrote in news:3140a250.0502110748.31f18936
@posting.google.com:

No, and it’s unlikely to do so in the future.

Look – Photoshop is exactly the wrong *kind* of software for such an application. If Adobe ever looks to get into the CAD business – unlikely, but stranger things have happened – it’s utterly certain they’ll release a CAD application, not graft some of the features onto PSP, which is ill- suited for the task.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections