RA
Posted By
Richard_a_Ward
Sep 24, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The power supply blew up on my Dual 1.8 G5 and it was 2 weeks out of warranty. Apple said they would fix it and replaced the power supply and logic board. When I picked it up from Apple, one of the processors was not working ( but machine still booted). When I returned it to Apple they kept it a week then said it needed another power supply, logic board, and processor and it would cost 1700.00 and that they would not cover it. Claimed water damage and when I asked for them to show me the damage they brought out a fan that had a microscopic smudge on it. I laughed, they didn’t.

Apple claims the bad processor could have damaged the new logic board and possibly the power supply . Is this true ?

I could take it to Tek Serve here in NYC but I would guess that they would tell me the same thing and keep it another week.

I need to get up and running again. Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance……

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

L
Larryr544
Sep 25, 2006
By any chance is that processor in a socket? Even if it’s soldered in you might be able to find someone to replace it. The processor probably costs under $150 retail. We used to do this all of the time. Of course it’s possible that the processor isn’t the problem and something unique to that one processor on the board is damaged. A tech savy 15 year old could probably do this.

People simply aren’t trained to repair down to the component level anymore. We used to do it all the time. So now days if one half of a processor is out replace the borad and maybe the power supply also… what a waste.. oh well.

You can always use it with one processor until you decide or find someone.
RA
Richard_a_Ward
Sep 25, 2006
Thanks for your reply. Does anyone have a tech savvy 15 y/o in NYC ? (lol)

The machine crashes when it tries it engage the other processor rendering the machine worthless. Apple wanted 700 bucks for the processor. Know anyone I could send this machine to ?

Ok thanks

Richard
GB
g_ballard
Sep 25, 2006
if apple took in and repaired the unit under a warranty contract, as you said, and the unit is still defective upon your receipt, then I would take apple to small claims court and let them explain their legal theory to a judge

the so-called water damage is a red herring, if they accepted and repaired the unit with defective parts that’s the point I would argue — you could also argue they gave you water damaged replacement parts and botched the repair

you can always subpena the original parts and win that point too when they can’t produce them to prove water damage

otherwise, write it up to experience…
L
Larryr544
Sep 25, 2006
What exact machine do you have? WHat size screen? Is this the 17"?

I reread your original post and it says 1.8 G5. I was thinking Intel. Intel processors are for sale on every corner inexpensively (ok an exageration, except that they are inexpensive for anything that’s been out for over a year) while G5’s are hard to find at any price. So you need the 15 year old geek in NYC that has access to trashed machines and could pull a processor off of one to test.

Otherwise buy a new iBook? Or a used notebook?
L
Larryr544
Sep 25, 2006
I agree with g ballard also!
RA
Richard_a_Ward
Sep 25, 2006
This is not intended to be an ‘Apple -bashing" thread. My G5 Dual 1.8 tower was out of warranty. They did not have to do anything to it. What they did was replace the power supply and logic board. When it looked liked it needed a processor they found a reason ( water damage) to get out of their obligation.

I am prepared to buy a new machine and "part" this one out, meaning strip it down and sell the ram, video card etc. The problem is I do not know if the power supply or logic board is ok because Apple is telling me the new components could be damaged by the faulty processor.

Is they a way I can check the logic board so I can sell it ?

Thanks in advance

Richard
GB
g_ballard
Sep 25, 2006
sorry, I didn’t know the machine actually had water damage…but I agree with you about their "obligation" once they took the unit in under warranty contract
B
Buko
Sep 25, 2006
It will definitely be cheaper to buy a new computer. I do find it disturbing that you need to buy Apple Care because Apple is now making crappy computers that will die after one year. Especially since we are paying a premium price to begin with. this should all be included in the original price of the computer.
RA
Richard_a_Ward
Sep 26, 2006
Its not water damaged. This is what they claim. I will keep after it.

thanks

richard
RM
Rick McCleary
Sep 26, 2006
I do find it disturbing that you need to buy Apple Care because Apple is now making crappy computers that will die after one year

On what basis are you making that rather broad, sweeping generalization? A single anecdote about one laptop going south does not seem to support your view.

The simple facts are:

1) An Apple computer with a three year warranty is available for a known cost.

and

2) It’s not wise to buy one without a three year warranty.

No one is getting ripped off here.
B
Buko
Sep 26, 2006
On what basis are you making that rather broad, sweeping generalization?

by going to the Apple Forums and seeing the pages of people complaining about their computers dying after 1 year. If I was the only one I would not have made that comment.
RM
Rick McCleary
Sep 27, 2006
The forums are generally full of complaints, not praises. This has always been the case.
B
Buko
Sep 27, 2006
people wouldn’t complain if there was not a problem.

this is different from some moron not reading the manual or installing something incorrectly and then whining.

these people all have hardware failure 3 to 4 months after the 1yr warranty and its all the logic board. Apple had problems with the G3 logic boards. how many thousands of people have not posted that have this problem.

and the question remains if its fixed will it be fixed with inferior parts?
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 27, 2006
"people wouldn’t complain if there was not a problem. ‘

Ever hear of a hypochondriac?

Anyway I think everyone has had different experiences. Twice my (I think) laptop was dropped by (two different ones) by my then 3 or 4 year old–knocked off the table that is and in one case the display went dead and in the other the HD started doing a "ka-ching ka-ching".

I fedx’d the laptop to apple on a monday and had a fully functional laptop on friday. I couldn’t be more pleased with Apple care, but I do not others have nad different expeiences.

alan
R
Ram
Sep 27, 2006
Hypochondriacs don’t buy computers. They’re sure the radiation from the monitor makes people sick, plus typing on the keyboard and clicking the mouse gives people carpal tunnel syndrome. Everybody knows that.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections