Why PSD doc opens in "Preview" by default?

Posted By
150mph
Sep 18, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I create a new PSD in CS, save as "whatever.psd" , close it – then double click on it from Finder and it opens in the Preview app, not Photoshop! This happens every time. What gives?

G5 120 / 10.4.7

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 18, 2006
In the finder, check the file info box and change "open with" to Photoshop.
150mph
Sep 19, 2006
Ok I can do that for a temp fix to one file at a time – thanx for trying to help ;o)

But the problem remains – every single file i create in Photoshop CS – dozens and dozens each week – open in Preview by default. This is WRONG WRONG WRONG, causes me constant delay and frustration and I need a real fix…

Or am I misunderstanding something?
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 19, 2006
When you change "Open with" check "change all" and that should work.

Whereas Apple files always had a Resource Fork that had the icon and all the type/creator info, in order to dumbdown to the rest of the (Windoze) world Apple will still recongnize Resource Forks in a file but discourage it with developers.

AFAIK the only way windoze knows a file is by the 3-digit extension. Apple still bundles a type and creator code with a file.

alan
R
Ram
Sep 19, 2006
But the problem remains – every single file i create in Photoshop CS – dozens and dozens each week – open in Preview by default. This is WRONG WRONG WRONG, causes me constant delay and frustration and I need a real fix…

Or am I misunderstanding something?

By default, the OS is set to open graphic files with Preview.

You can easily change that globally for each file type with Get Info > Open with, then hit the Change All button on the same Get Info dialog box.
B
Buko
Sep 19, 2006
150 you sound like the perfect candidate for David Pogue’s Missing Manual for OSX.
150mph
Sep 19, 2006
Ok thanks all. I’ve never noticed that feature of the Get Info box before and now I’ll pass on that tidbit to others. "Manual"? Then I’d never get a chance to interact you with guys! ;o)
R
Ram
Sep 20, 2006
"Manual"?

Yup.

Get it. Period.
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 20, 2006
Definition;
Consultant: one who reads the manual.
R
Ram
Sep 20, 2006
Nope.

Consultant: one who borrows your watch to tell you what time it is.
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 20, 2006
That, is good.

Fortunately there will always be people who do say "this digital thing is too complicated for me: where’s the big hand and little hand, can you help me?

Sure, let me see if I can fit you into my busy schedule–my going rate (sliding scale of highest $’s for smucks (sp?) and least for nice people–there are some people I wish I could help for free…oh yeah, there is this forum.

alan

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections