Any way to change the default res. of opened image (from 72)?

PH
Posted By
Photo_Help
Apr 20, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
caesar,

Currently, I typically change the resolution to 300, which gives you a huge-sized image

Uncheck resample

so I decrease the pixel dimensions (while maintaining the resolution of 300) to make it possible to print…and it looks great!

You are resampling twice which is bad. Just uncheck resample and change the image print dimensions to the size you want. The resolution will change at the same time. If the resolution is still too low and you want to compensate by upsampling you can now check resample, it will retain the current settings, then you can change the resolution to 300 if that is what you want. Based on the steps you described you shouldn’t need to change the resolution.

If you have a camera that allows you to change the print resolution you should set it to the number you get after the unresampled resize. Set the quality to it’s highest optical resolution. Never use in camera upsampling as it just takes up more memory for something you can do in Photoshop better.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

D
deebs
Apr 20, 2005
I tried unchecking the resample option and it comes up with wonderful combinations of 222 and 3-sevenths

Being not well organised at all I take great security in seeing 300 rather than some imposed variant.

Am I doing something wrong?
PH
Photo_Help
Apr 20, 2005
deebs,

222 is just fine for most print projects. If the quality of the print is compromised then upsample. If not why make your masters not only larger than they need to be but also modified in possibly a destructive way. In some cases details may be blurred in the upsampling and the quality of the print could actually go down even though the resolution appears to be higher.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections