DM
Posted By
Dave McElderry
Jan 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This is mostly directed to Jodi, because she said that she had used this software before, but I’m not proud – I’ll accept help from anyone! <G>

I often like to print 4×6 prints, three to a 8.5 x11 page. There is no predesigned template for this in ArcSoft PP, so I thought I’d set one up. The help file is worthless, and I’m finding the template designer to be very difficult to work with. It automatically gives me a page dimension that is roughly 10.5 x 13.6 inches. It then forces a quarter inch margin on all sides. If I use the tools to split and move the cells to the correct proportions and dimensions, it would appear that everything should work for my standard paper size. However, when I take a photos that have been sized to 4 x 6 from PE and insert them into these cells, they end up being 3.2 x 4.8 inches! (Editorial note: Why in the world would the program give me one place decimal dimensions at this point if the template ruler was divided into eighths of an inch?)
Auto rotate is on, but auto crop is off because if I turn it on it makes the single print on the end 3.2 x 6.3 inches. I’m finding this whole process to be pretty frustrating and would appreciate any help.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 28, 2004
Dave, here is what I do:

Create a new document that is sized 8.5×11, making sure it is the same resolution as your photograph.

Leave the new document open, open your photograph.

Using the move cool, drag your photograph onto the new document and position as desired.

Repeat this process to place two more copies on the new document.

Each copy of the photograph will be put on its own layer, so you will have to have the layer pallet open and choose the appropriate layer if you want to reposition your individual copies. I hope this will at least get you started, unless I have misunderstood what you are trying to do.

Jim
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 28, 2004
Dave Re; Arcsoft, geeze i’m sorry you are having trouble with this. I just went back over to the site to refresh my memory since i no longer have the trial version installed….seems there is a new feature ( a few ) that i did not have which is ‘Freestyle, template-less printing’…..so perhaps you could look into that aspect because I’m really not sure about your question….in my version I could not build my own templates. There are manual downloads on the www.arcsoft.com site as well.
DM
Dave McElderry
Jan 29, 2004
Jim, your instructions are clear, and well taken. I may very well end up using that exact method if I can’t get the print software to do what I want. In my fantasy world I thought that if I had software which had a specific purpose in life which was to make the print layout process easy, then all would be perfect and I could die a happy man. Yeah, right…

If I could get this template creation process down, then I could set up my most common layouts (once) and it would be a piece of cake from there on out. Nonetheless, your method makes sense, and I appreciate your response. Thanks!
DM
Dave McElderry
Jan 29, 2004
Sorry Jodi – I thought this was the software you were presently using. Thanks anyway. I’ll check the site.
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 29, 2004
Dave,

I use the same method as Jim H. on the rare occassions I print more than one at a time, I usually cut my sheet paper in halves and print 5x7s. Just in case you didn’t know, there is a template layout dealy in PSE. They are written in notepad and several people have made their own custom layouts. A search on this forum would find them I’m sure. Just have to watch the resolution before popping them in.

Nancy
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 29, 2004
Dave, i think i’m going to download the trial version again as soon as I think about it…tomorrow….I’m back to being curious about it from what i read at the site. I do remember being able to print 3 images on a page but perhaps they were 3.5 X 5 ? I think it was in the Avery templates or ‘one size’ templates ??? Anyways, it is a really fun program from what i remember.
DM
Dave McElderry
Jan 29, 2004
FWIW, I did figure out a very roundabout way to get the desired results from Photo Printer, but with one little quirk. I’m really interested in the creation of templates from within PE, and will see if I can find this info in the archives.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 29, 2004
Dave, oh ya, it’s definietly do-able in Elements. I always set up my own in there. I guess I get bored with doing things the same way sometimes and like to play with other stuff 😉
JD
Juergen_D
Jan 29, 2004
Dave,

Try this layout in PE:

I 8.5 10.5
(3)4×6
0.25 0.25 4 6
4.25 0.25 4 6
1 6.5 6 4

Juergen
DM
Dave McElderry
Jan 29, 2004
Juergen, where do I put the layout descriptions you provided? I found the text file that controls new images available in the "New" dialogue box, but this format doesn’t match it.
JD
Juergen_D
Jan 29, 2004
Dave,

Create a TXT file, name it something like ‘Threefourbysixes.txt’ and then place it in the ‘Layouts’ folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 2\Presets\Layouts. (This is assuming you use Win).
Next run File>Print Layouts>Picture Package. I said to try it, because I don’t know if different printers use different margins. This one works on my Canon BJC-8200.

Juergen
DM
Dave McElderry
Jan 29, 2004
Juergen, I got it now. I just didn’t know where to look for the text file. I even found the readme to explain the setup. I do appreciate your help! I see that this automatically puts three copies of the same file in the layout. Is it possible to do the same layout with three separate pictures?
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 29, 2004
Dave,

Have not used it myself, by others said just replace 2nd and 3rd copies with unique ones.
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 29, 2004
Dave,

You might get more feedback from those who have customized the layout if you start a new thread with "Picture Package" in the title.
DM
Dave McElderry
Jan 29, 2004
Oh geez…all I had to do was click on one of the ones that I want to replace and it brings up the "select an image file" dialogue box. I think it’s time I stopped asking questions and started using my own head. I think it’s under control now. A big thanks to all who helped!
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 29, 2004
Dave,

Questions are good though it that a reply just might mention a feature or method one might not "bump into" flying solo until WAY down the road.
JD
Juergen_D
Jan 29, 2004
Dave,

I’m glad you got it working. 🙂

Juergen
DM
Dave McElderry
Jan 29, 2004
Nancy, Agreed. Rest assured I’m not going to stop asking questions. I’m just going to stop asking questions regarding this particular subject. All of a sudden I reached a point where I realized that I asked a question that I had not tried to figure out on my own, and that’s not like me. I do give myself a certain amount of credit for my puzzle solving abilities, and I don’t want to come to this forum with every little nit-picking thing that comes along or pretty soon no one will put up with me. Maybe it’s a guy thing <G>. I hate asking for road directions, too.
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 29, 2004
Dave,

It’s because you are intelligent and can work independently…your assets

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections