Posted By
Jeff_Schewe
Jul 15, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed

G…

Not sure about the MacIntel, but I’ve been able to add USB, FireWire and AppleTalk IP printers no problem to G4’s & G5’s running 10.4.7. The question is how do you have the printer’s Ethernet card set up and what kind of network are you installing on? If you have a rounter/switch acting as a DHCP server, IP numbers should be automatically provided for all network attached devices. You should NOT be using the EPson NetConfig to be assigning an address manually. If you have manually entered IP addresses for the computers-then that’s a different story and can get messy.

I can’t see the 4800 under bonjour but I can after clicking More Printers and selecting either Epson AppleTalk or Epson TCP/IP.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

GB
g_ballard
Jul 16, 2006
Jeff, thank you.

I’ve been able to add USB, FireWire and AppleTalk IP printers no problem
to G4’s & G5’s running 10.4.7

I’ll take that as you had 10.4.7 installed when you added on the 4800 and ethernet?

The question is how do you have the printer’s Ethernet card set up and
what kind of network are you installing on?

The network is configured using DCHP which automatically supplies the Macs with IP address, probably a router.

You should NOT be using the Epson NetConfig to be assigning an address
manually

The Epson genius did have me manually assign an IP adress using Epson NetConfig, (does this sound like the problem I am experiencing?).

Epson TCP/IP add printers is not adding the printer, Epson NetConfig will not update the Epson ethernet firmware — I’ve hit a wall under 10.4.7.

+++++

In any case I’ve just reformated my laptop and installed only 10.4.7.

Monday I am asking Epson exactly what they want me to add on.

At that point I will reset the printer/ethernet and let them tell me why it doesn’t work.
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Jul 16, 2006
"The Epson genius did have me manually assign an IP adress using Epson NetConfig, (does this sound like the problem I am experiencing?). "

Nope, sorry…with your system already set for working with a DHCP server, it’s the SERVER, not the Epson Net Config that should be providing the IP number…

I think you’ll need to reset the Ethernet card to defaults (pretty sure you’ll need to power up and then hold the button on the back for like 3 or 10 seconds-can’t remember-check the manual). Disconnect the cable from the printer, power down, reconnect the cable and power up.

You can have the Ethernet card print out a status sheet indicating what the IP number is..check that against your computers and make sure it’s the same number series (different last two numbers) and same subnet mask and seeing the router.

The only thing you need the Epson Netconfig is if your Ethernet card doesn’t default to "Automatic" in the TCP/IP panel. The rest of the setup-assuming you’ve got good drivers installed shouldn’t need the Epson Netconfig at all.
GB
g_ballard
Jul 16, 2006
Good, I followed everything you said…
GB
g_ballard
Jul 16, 2006
It seems 10.4.7 opened a plethora of printing problems, according to a lengthy Apple forum thread "10.4.7 Killed my Printers!"

< http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=541314&amp ;start=15&tstart=0>

One of the FIXES was running the latest CUPS

<http://www.cups.org/software.php>

I looked at what CUPS is

CUPS uses the Internet Printing Protocol ("IPP") as the basis for managing
print jobs and queues and adds network printer browsing and PostScript Printer Description ("PPD") based printing options to support real-world printing.

Is CUPS working behind the scenes when I use Apple Printer Setup Epson TCP/IP?

Or would this most likely be a false (unrelated) trail?
I
iGary
Jul 16, 2006
g, have you tried Epson USB or Epson FireWire yet?
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Jul 16, 2006
G,

Whenever you select "Epson" FireWire, USB or TCP/IP you are bypassing the CUPS installed generic drivers that are installed by the system-I don’t think there -IS- a CUPS version of the 4800 driver, just the consumer printers…

I would stay away from the CUPS stuff completely…
GB
g_ballard
Jul 16, 2006
have you tried Epson USB or Epson FireWire yet?

No, USB/FW are not an option, no one workstation is close enough to try, and I don’t have the time to spend on something they can’t possibly use.

"Epson" FireWire, USB or TCP/IP you are bypassing the CUPS

The CUPS is a driver like GIMP — they are irrevelent if I Add Printer under the Epson driver USB/FW/TCP/IP (?).

+++++

Based on what I saw here last week, my money is on a clean 10.4.7 system won’t work.

This because of iGary’s downgrade, install/setup in 10.4.0, and upgrade to 10.4.7 fix is working.

I suspect Jeff had an Epson working before upgrading to 10.4.7 (?) when he installed/setup 4800 in 10.4.7.

Maybe an earlier Epson setup puts a doorway through the wall I am hitting trying to add the printer at 10.4.7 (?).

+++++

In any case, I have a virgin 10.4.7 laptop here with only the problem added on to see with my own eyes on Monday…
GB
g_ballard
Jul 16, 2006
Then again I may just have a bad Epson ethernet card (like they figured) and I should have their replacement here Monday to lock everything down.
I
iGary
Jul 16, 2006
g, I thought one of the Macs was a laptop. Can’t you move it over to the printer for testing?

If that still doesn’t work, then the network card being the culprit becomes less likely.
GB
g_ballard
Jul 16, 2006
their Intel books are all new 10.4.7 laptops

My laptop is a virgin 10.4.7 PowerPC, plus whatever Epson tells me to load on

I am only interested in a network configuration (right now on a PowerPC)

I have their DHCP network

and I have my closed network in place, a known good hub and cables to rule out their network

AS A LAST RESORT I will go USB/laptop to update the 4800 and ethernet firmwares to rule them out…

PS:

Come to think of it the only way I can update the Ethernet firmware is IF the Epson ConfigNet will do the deed through ethernet connection — Epson did say they might be able to flash the replacement there for me, but who knows?
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Jul 16, 2006
Actually, connecting via USB or FW will allow you to run the Epson LFP Remote Panel that can control firmware updates and printer configs…
GB
g_ballard
Jul 16, 2006
Here are the 4800 downloads off Epson’s site today.

Would "Epson LFP Remote Panel" be the 3.0 and 1.0 updates on the bottom of the list?

[+] Firmware Update version A02564_q.upg
Macintosh OS X
epson11911.dmg – 918.4KB – posted on 06/28/06

[+] Firmware Update – C12C824341 EpsonNet 10/100Base TX Internal Print Server 5 v1.10 Macintosh OS X (v10.3.0 or later)
epson11810.dmg – 1.3MB – posted on 03/09/06

[+] EpsonNet Config Utility v1.3b
Macintosh OS X
epson11671.sea.hqx – 3.4MB – posted on 11/02/05

[+] Printer Driver v2.69
Macintosh OS X (v10.3.9 or later)
epson11665.sea.hqx – 33.7MB – posted on 11/01/05

[+] ICC Profiles – Piezo Pro Matte Canvas update 1
Macintosh OS X
epson11658.sea.hqx – 11.4MB – posted on 10/20/05

[+] ICC Profiles
Macintosh OS X
epson11605.sea.hqx – 20.7MB – posted on 09/14/05

[+] Remote Panel Utility Update v1.0
Macintosh OS X
epson11547.sea.hqx – 14MB – posted on 08/09/05

[+] Remote Panel Utility v3.0
Macintosh OS X
epson11429.sea.hqx – 8.5MB – posted on 05/17/05
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Jul 17, 2006
Yep…
GB
g_ballard
Jul 18, 2006
don’t think it was a 10.4.7 issue

Epson overnighted a replacement ether card but didn’t use it

I hooked printer and my laptop uo to a stand-alone 5-port Asante hub and the problem cleared

I went back to their network and problem repeated

Went back to Asante-only network and flashed the Ethernet

Then reset the printer out of manual IP and *Option (IP only)

Smooth sailing at that point

I used Epson LFP Remote Panel (thanks Jeff) and flashed printer firmware

I THINK THE PROBLEM WAS when the Epson tech set the manual IP address on a DHCP server/router — Epson didn’t like it

In any case thanks everyone who posted

Is there anyone in particular who can make me a great profile for Epson Professional Glossy and X-Proof Colorburst RIP? – Is the digital dog any good at this?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections