PS CS Interpolation and the 10-Percent Rule (irrelevant?)

GB
Posted By
g_ballard
Aug 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In the past, the geniuses have recommended the "10% rule" (upsizing/downsizing in 10-percent increments).

I came across this NOV 03 thread looking for more info on that technique: <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.2cce6a14>

That thread appears to say we no longer need to use the 10-percent rule, that 200% or 400% moves are as good or better? I assume that thread also applies to Photoshop interpolation (not just under the Adobe RAW plugin)?

Does Pixel Genius’ Photo Kit also do up/down size files? Maybe I should just go download their friggin DEMO…

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Buko
Aug 28, 2004
I’ve never used the 10% rule.

Using my Fuji S2 I just enlarge to the size I need.

PSCS does an incredible job.
R
Ram
Aug 28, 2004
G B,

If anything, I find the new Bicubic Smoother interpolation in Photoshop 8 a tiny shade better than interpolation in ACR.
GB
g_ballard
Aug 28, 2004
PSCS does an incredible job

the new Bicubic Smoother interpolation in Photoshop 8

Ya, I think the news here (for me) was that CS has improved interpolation.

Now we can make one Image> Image Size move in PS CS (to the target resolution) and be good?

I may add, in my recent research, that Thomas Knoll posted on my question in the Camera RAW forum:

GB) Can someone please tell me if I should bring the D70 RAW file into Photoshop at 3008×2000 THEN do the uprez resizing under Image> Image Size (or if doing the move in RAW is somehow better with the D70 capture)?

Thomas Knoll): The resampling code is fairly similar to (but not exactly
the same as) the "Bicubic Sharper" resampling in Photoshop CS. It does not make very much difference which stage you do the resampling in.

The exception is non-square pixel cameras (Nikon D1x and Fuji S2 Pro), for which it is best to upsample one size step in Camera Raw if you need a large image.
B
Buko
Aug 28, 2004
I have found (and I don’t do this much) is, the best enlargement is from the camera RAW interface. I use an S2. but I have doubled with CS the largest size photo from ACR. and the image looked pretty darn good.
AR
Andrew Rodney
Aug 29, 2004
–>Ya, I think the news here (for me) was that CS has improved interpolation (to the point it has changed the geek rules).

I agree although the geek jury is still out. The differences are none the less tiny.

As for ACR versus CS, at least with the Canon 300D, I found once again the differences tiny to the degree that I had to zoom in 400% to even start to see the differences. I think I preferred the upsizing in Photoshop but the differences are super tiny. Use whatever method makes you feel better (or is better for your workflow).

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections