RB
Posted By
Roger_Beck
Feb 19, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
lets say I have an image that is 4×6 and I paste or place a file in to that image and the placed file is 2 inches wide. I want to make the placed object 50% of the total width of 6" which is 3". Can I do that automatically? If the original file was 10" wide, I would want the placed or pasted image to automatically be 5" wide. Is this possible?

I can do it by making it in to a smart object, but I would have to adjust the width manually, I want the width of the placed object to be adjusted automatically, as a percentage of total width.

thanks, roger

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

F
Freeagent
Feb 20, 2009
Just to clear up:

Photoshop "natively" thinks in pixels, not inches. Whatever way you look at it, a resampling of one of them is necessary unless the pixel ratio happens to be 2:1 to begin with.

But the "place" command forces PS to watch the physical dimensions. So when you Place, the image is imported as a Smart Object at the desired dimensions, ready to be resampled when the Smart Object is rasterized or flattened. Until then, you can resize as you wish.

So based on a placed Smart Object, it shouldn’t be difficult to make an action that first aligns the physical dimensions, then scales one to 50%, then (if required) rasterizes the Smart Object.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections