Posted By
Garry_Bradley
Aug 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi
I’m running a G5 1.8 Dual under OS X 10.3.5 with 2 GB RAM and I’m getting a recurring problem with Photoshop throwing up the ‘beachball’ busy icon from time to time requiring me to force quit.
I thought at first it was the scratch disk that I’d assigned so I reinitialised that but it didn’t help. I dumped the preferences and let it create a new one but to no avail. It doesn’t seem to happen at any specific action, sometimes it the open dialogue, other times it may be closing a file and so on.

I’ve got the memory bumped up to 70% in the preferences which isn’t excessive I don’t think so I’m stumped. Is this a case of getting rid of Photoshop entirely and reinstalling from scratch?
Anyone else had this?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 27, 2004
<< I’ve got the memory bumped up to 70% >>

That shouldn’t be excessive— but try reducing it to 65% anyway.

Is your Scratch on a different HD from your System HD—or just on a different partition?

The latter won’t help you at all (and will probably be slower than working on a non-partitioned drive) but putting the Scratch on a second internal HD will make a huge difference in performance.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections