LV
Posted By
Lisa_Vogt
Feb 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve noticed some websites have .jpgs that cannot be dragged and copied to someone’s desktop. How do I "lock" an image like that? Also, how can I make an image that I post on a website "unalterable" if someone were to take it use it? Any suggestions or feedback greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
progress
Feb 18, 2004
you cant…there’s no way to protect an image, even any security like secure PDF or digimarc is by passable…and you should be aware that images on the web are considered public domain in some countries.

You can stop people right clicking and downloading images with javascript, but if you turn off javascript it doesnt work anymore…you can embed them in flash, but you can decompile flash files and pull out the images.

and then theres screen shots to think about.

depends on how persevering you are but i cant think of one single secuirity measure on any application, image, music file, video file that hasnt been bypassed to date one way or another.
LV
Lisa_Vogt
Feb 18, 2004
Thanks for posting. I agree that it’s probably impossible to truly "lock" an image so that it’s absolutely unpenetrable, especially with all the people out there who really know this stuff!

As someone who basically uses a computer only to do just basic things, I wouldn’t know where to begin hacking someone’s image. Is there a simple way to "somewhat" lock an image against everyday users like myself?
LL
Lornce_Lisowski
Feb 18, 2004
I agree it’s impossible to fully protect images but there are a few basic things you could do. For a Photographer client I used a table system. The picture being the "fill" in the cell then use a transparent giff over the top to fill the cell. the user thinks he is down loading an image only to find it blank. I’m sure the are other creative ways to get your point across. Not the least of which is a legal statement. Sometime the most direct way works the best.
P
progress
Feb 18, 2004
for casual deterent, yes, i’d use a few tricks like that and a copyright notice…but the golden rule is dont put it on the web if you dont want it nicked..
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Feb 18, 2004
Bear in mind that just about anything can be defeated by a simple screen shot. And that screen shot is as good as downloading the graphic.

I personally am not worried that someone is going to "steal" my images. I have lots of them on my site:
<http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html>
What good would it do them and what harm would it do me? But if you are worried about it, put a big copyright notice in a prominent place which ruins the image for a potential thief.

There is a solution called Clever Content (or it was called that once; may have changed) which is a server-based thing that actually foils screenshots as well as anything else, but it seems not to have caught on and I believe it’s fairly expensive.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Feb 18, 2004
Well they’re all mine nowย…that’ll teach you Ed!
J
JasonSmith
Feb 18, 2004
hey – he just stole those from comic books! %D
B
Buko
Feb 19, 2004
Another thing to keep in mind is not to put high rez images on the web. If its small and low rez what can they do with it?
G
graffiti
Feb 19, 2004
If its small and low rez what can they do with it?

Probably what my clients do. Send it to me and ask me to put it in a brochure thus starting up a conversation for the umpteenth time as to why that’s not allowed.
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Feb 19, 2004
Probably what my clients do. Send it to me and ask me to put it in a brochure thus starting up a conversation for the umpteenth time as to why that’s not allowed.

Graffiti,

I’ve had good luck helping folks like that understand things by telling them that the money they save by not paying the proper royalty fees for artwork can be used toward their criminal defense lawyer when the copyright and unfair use lawsuit begins.

๐Ÿ™‚

(yeah, I know a majority of people never go to trial over stealing images like that, but it’s still fun to see the look on their face as they process the concept.)
R
Ram
Feb 19, 2004
… I know a majority of people never go to trial …

Even responding to the initial complaint costs a bundle.
SW
Scott_Weichert
Feb 19, 2004
That’s it.. I’m removing all images from my site.. and the web entirely.. I guess I’ll have to find a pic to ascii application to show representations of the images in text ๐Ÿ™‚
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Feb 19, 2004
Too late, Scott. All your images are belong to me.
G
graffiti
Feb 19, 2004
by telling them that the money they save by not paying the proper royalty fees…

I can’t wait to use that line. Thanks Paul. ๐Ÿ™‚

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections