Posted By
Tommy_Albright
Jul 30, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello everybody on Adobe forums!
I am a relatively new user to Photoshop CS and I came up with a question that I found a bit difficult to answer on my own. I have done some searching, but I was not able to locate any answer related to the question. So I thought I might ask here for some info.

Recently I have been experimenting with PS-CS and ended up doing some pixel art in small images. What caught my attention was that those images were unusually large in file size considering the formats they used. I decided to take a look into this and I found out that Photoshop CS will save some extra unneccessary data into the image and it ends up much larger than it usually would. I have not tested all formats, but I have confirmed this for the JPG format. I saved a small image in a BMP (lossless) and a JPG format using Photoshop CS. Then I loaded the BMP format and saved it to JPG using MS-Paint. The one saved in photoshop was considerably larger in file size than the one saved in MSPaint. Since the image was very small (less than 10 pixels in each dimension) I doubt the quality of the image had something to do with the increase of the file size. So I opened the larger file in a hex editor to see what is causing the increase in the file size and I have clearly been able to see the extra non-image data PSCS has included into the file. Here is something that I was able to read: "Adobe Photoshop CS Windows.2006:07:30 21:31:07" and "Adobe_CM" plus some other unreadable stuff.
Since I never wrote anything like that into my image using a text tool or something, I wonder what this text is doing inside the image (other than taking up unneccessary space ofcourse).

So here is the question: Is there an option in Photoshop CS to disable this so that PS will no longer include this data within images? I had to manually remove the data by using the MSPaint method described above, but I find that a bit unpleasant. Normally I wouldn’t care about this, but since I want my images to be really small in file size considering their image size, it does bother me a bit.

Thank you for any info.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jul 30, 2006
Use File > Save for Web to save without metadata or profiles. If you use File > Save As, the file will include a color profile for your working space as well as metadata of various types; in the case of digital art composed in PS, this will be the name of the application, creation date, and similar information.
D
deebs
Jul 30, 2006
I think quite a lot of people may be disappointed if some data were to be zapped systematically hence Save for Web feature?
TA
Tommy_Albright
Jul 31, 2006
Thank you for your answers. Yes, the "Save for web" feature seems to disinclude the metadata. I always believed that the regular "Save as" could do the same by disabling some hidden option I was unable to find.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections