how to create a drop shadow on an image (not text)

CZ
Posted By
christopher_z._mark
Nov 27, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Sorry, this must be elementary (no other posts), but… Do I need a plug-in? Which? Or are the tools in place to do it in Photoshop CS in OS X on a Mac G5? Many thanks in advance for your help.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Buko
Nov 27, 2006
Whatever you put a drop shadow on must be inside the frame of the document.

So if the picture is 3 x 5 you need the document to be 4 x 6 and the and the picture has to be on its own layer.

You can’t put a drop shadow on the background layer.
CZ
christopher_z._mark
Nov 27, 2006
Thanks, Buko. As for the first instruction, the larger frame, can I simply increase canvas size by say 10%, or must I create a whole new doc? As for the picture being on its on its own layer, you mean simply make a copy of the background layer, right? Then what? I click add layer style in the layers palette, and then drop shadow to address a selected rectangle but nothing happens. I must be missing something…no?
DR
Donald_Reese
Nov 28, 2006
If you just want a drop shadow around the whole photo,add the larger canvas size like you said, drag the rectangle marquee around your photo and do layer-new-layer via copy,and then do your layer style drop shadow,and you will be good to go.
B
Buko
Nov 28, 2006
If you do the dupe layer before you enlarge the canvas you get an exact size on the pic.
CZ
christopher_z._mark
Nov 28, 2006
That worked. Thanks to you both. True, had to dupe the layer before enlarging canvas. Then the marquee, then layer style drop shadow. And I’m away. Thanks again. Much appreciated.
B
Buko
Nov 28, 2006
If you dupe the layer first there is no need to use the marquee.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections