MR
Posted By
Michael_Roach
Aug 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to re-position elements within a file to a set position – I know I can do it via the Transform Command by entering the X & Y co-ordinates but when I record that as an action and replay that action it only re-positions based on the starting position reference of the original layer. What I really want is to move any element from anywhere in the document to the new X.Y co-ordinates no matter where the image is to start with. Is there a way of doing this that can be built into an action and replayed. Many thanks in advance for any clues….

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 20, 2004
Try Layer> Align to Selection Horizontal and Vertical to get to one corner, then Transform to the position you want.

Though it would seem that you should be able to do Absolute rather than Relative, but it doesn’t seem to be working?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 20, 2004
I don’t think that you can do that with an Action although it might be possible with a Script.

When I recorded an Action to Transform and Move, this is how it recorded:

"Free Transform
Transform current layer
Center: corner
Translate: 2.973 inches, 3.373 inches"

In other words, the Action repeats the distance moved and not the co-ordinates to which the object was moved.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 20, 2004
I made this Action using Ed’s method and it works:

(You need to have your objects on separate layers and have a "Background" layer too.)

Select background
Set Selection to All
Stop

(Message: Choose the Layer containing the object to be moved ) (Do that and click the Action palette’s "Play Selection" button)

Align Linked layer using left edges
Align Linked layer using bottom edges
MR
Michael_Roach
Aug 20, 2004
Thanks Ed and Ann, problem solved. My only slight alteration to your method was to create a new layer, position one corner of it to the precise position I want to move my object and then align the edges to it as per your instructions. Cheers.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections