WW
Posted By
Wilbur_Wong
Oct 28, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
If I worked on a background copy layer, and want to replace an area with the original base background. Can I precisely "select" the one layer and "stamp" to the layer I am working on?

I can select from the one layer, but I have difficulty applying it precisely to the same place in the other layer.

I would like to do this so specific dodging and burning (highlights – shadows etc.) are effectively non destructive, since I can replace any areas I didn’t like (rather than replace the entire layer, and also it is not dependent on limited history, or snapshots)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 28, 2005
You can , by selecting "use all layers" in the Clone tool options, then Alt-click followed by Click without moving the mouse.

HOWEVER: what you wish would be better achieved by simply using a layer mask and "painting out" the areas where you wish the background layer to show through.

Chris.
ED
Emma_d_Anise
Oct 28, 2005
If I worked on a background copy layer, and want to replace an area with the original base background.

Have you tried working with layer masks for this? What do you mean by "the original base background?" If you’re saying that you’ve duplicated your background layer and altered it, but want certain areas to remain as they were on the original background, you could just select those areas and apply a mask. This would leave both layers intact as you can discard or alter your mask if you so choose.

I would like to do this so specific dodging and burning (highlights – shadows etc.) are effectively non destructive, since I can replace any areas I didn’t like (rather than replace the entire layer, and also it is not dependent on limited history, or snapshots)

I don’t think I understand what you’re asking. It sounds like you’re duplicating layers instead of maybe copy and pasting selections to new layers or even stamping onto new layers.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections