BH
Posted By
Beth_Haney
Jan 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I was just reminded of something that I used to do and have been forgetting. I know this works on Macs, and it must work on Win machines, too; I just don’t know how to do it.

After you’ve had to delete the Preference folder, go back into Elements (or Photoshop) and get everything set up the way you want it again. Shut down Elements to preserve the settings, find the Preference folder on your hard drive and make a duplicate of the new one. The next time Preferences go weird on you, instead of using the keyboard shortcut, go into the main Preference folder, delete the current one for Elements, and then substitute the copy – after making another duplicate of it. It takes longer to explain than to do, and it’s sure faster than setting everything up again. You can just keep going on like this virtually forever – or until you forget like I did.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

N
nytrashman7618
Jan 23, 2004
thanks Beth, once again you have come through with another great tip and best of all you speak "Mac" so no windows to mac dictionary needed.
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 23, 2004
That sounds like an excellent idea, Beth. I decided to follow that advice, but on my Windows 2000 workstation I was not able to locate the preferences folder. Do you have any idea where it is located?
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 23, 2004
I’m sorry, Jim, but I jumped from Win 98 to XP, and I still don’t know my way around either very well. I hope somebody comes along who can interpret for Windows, because I’m almost positive it will work there, too.
BG
Byron Gale
Jan 23, 2004
Jim,

On my Win98SE installation, it’s at:

C:\windows\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\Elements\Photoshop Elements 2.0 Prefs

Perhaps it is similarly located in Win2K.

Byron
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 23, 2004
Beth,

You are brilliant …. thanks for the tip I am going to do it now!! 🙂

Wendy
DM
Dave_McElderry
Jan 23, 2004
I agree. Beth is brilliant! I like this idea. BTW, for Windows XP the path to the preferences folder is:

C:\Documents and Settings\Your user name here\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\Elements\Photoshop Elements 2.0 Prefs
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 23, 2004
Hi Beth, I have never done anything to my PSE preferences or its folder. Is this routine maintenance or just what we do when something acts up?
Jane
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 23, 2004
Jane,

Beth suggests to make a copy of the preferences file while everything is running smoothly and save it. If/when quirky behavior in the program begins, you merely substitute the saved version. Her plan is a defensive one, planning for the "what-ifs".

Nancy
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 23, 2004
Hi Nancy and Beth, I am going to do this right now,,,,,,,,,

edit, just saved it in a folder right along with Beth’s instructions. Thank you!
Jane
PD
Pete_D
Jan 23, 2004
If you have trouble finding this I seem to recall having to checkmark the "view hidden files" under folder options. (Folder options located as the bottom item under ‘tools’ on the menu bar).

Pete
ML
Marilyn_Lee
Jan 24, 2004
Jim Hess – I use Windows 2000 and run both Elements 1.0 and Elements 2.0. I ran a search on "Prefs," and came up with the two paths below. (Note: I always log on as Administrator so I have access to everything.)

Elements 1.0: c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\Elements\Adobe Photoshop Elements Prefs\Adobe Photoshop Elements Prefs.psp

Elements 2.0: c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\Elements\Photoshop Elements 2.0 Prefs\Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 Prefs.psp

Marilyn
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 24, 2004
Finally found it! Thanks, Marilyn.

Jim
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 24, 2004
Beth, i’m sorry to be an idiot….but where do we put the copy ? If we put the copy in the same folder….alongside….doesn’t that confuse elements ?
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 24, 2004
I did things a little bit differently. Instead of creating a separate folder, I used WinZip and just placed a ZIP file containing all of the appropriate files in the same folder. Then, I created a shortcut to that folder so that I can get to quickly if I need to. All I have to do is open the ZIP file and drag the files it contains back into the folder.
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 24, 2004
Jodi, I’m not sure it will work the same on XP as it does in Mac, but what I do is highlight the current/newly created Preference folder and then do a command to "Duplicate". That gives a full copy of the folder, but with the word "copy" at the end. It winds up directly below the active Preference folder, and I just leave it there until I need to use it. When that time comes, I trash the bad preference folder, erase the word "copy" from the file name of the duplicate, and then I duplicate that one – once again ending up with two folders in the same place but with slightly different names. Elements will never choose the one that says "copy", so there’s no need to move it off anywhere if you don’t have to. I imagine there are all kinds of ways to handle this, I just stick with the one that seems easiest!
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 24, 2004
Beth, thank you, that is exactly what i needed to know….and yes, XP works the same way 😉
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 25, 2004
Thanks Beth … I was wondering how to copy it and then spotted your last message. I have just done it and it worked fine so hopefully sorting out the pesky prefs folder will be much easier now.

Wendy
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 25, 2004
I’m glad you guys are enjoying that. Now if I can just remember that I need to get mine ready to go! So far I haven’t done it myself. 🙁
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 25, 2004
Beth,

Something about the shoemaker or is it the mechanic, oh well.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 25, 2004
No it’s the plumber
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 25, 2004
….I wonder what trips up the preference files…I bought Version 1 the first week it came out, probably about 4 years ago, I still use it and I have never had to delete the Pref. Files and yet others have deleted many times…

Nancy
LC
Louis_Calogero
Jan 25, 2004
Beth:
Only had to use the old "key-jump" technique once(got it on the fifth try),so this will be a muuuuuuch better way if ever it need be. Thanks a bunch.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections