RS
Posted By
Raymond_Sanborn
Jan 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve upgraded to a new computer and Windows XP and am struggling with all the nuances of old programs on new systems.
I’m embarassed to ask this question but how do I set the default open folder for PE 2? Guess I’m just burnt out!
Ray

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 9, 2004
As far as I know, Elements just remembers the last folder you were in. That works, unless your last folder was on a CD or a removable hard drive which is no longer connected. Then, Elements opens to My Documents\My Pictures. I don’t believe there is any way to change this.
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 9, 2004
Jim,

That appears to be the case, I went looking for something as well. However, I think if you use the File Browser in PSE2 that it defaults to the My Pictures Folder in My Documents.

Seems to me there was a discussion thread about this a couple of months ago.

Dick
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 9, 2004
Yes, the default is the last folder open, and, should anyone be wondering, it works the same in both platforms.
RS
Raymond_Sanborn
Jan 9, 2004
Thanks All. You’re right. I just didn’t realize that as long as you’re in a session that the open file always opens to the folder it started with in that session; and that on closing the program and reopening it it will open with the last folder viewed before closure which is fine for my purposes.
Ray
TF
Terri_Foster
Jan 9, 2004
On a similar line, my retouched photos, challenge entries etc end up being scattered about my file folders…some even end up in my presets folder. Is there a way to control where new files made in elements ultimately end up?
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 9, 2004
You just have to pay attention when you do a Save! 🙂 As already mentioned, the default folder is the last one opened. It takes a little while to get used to checking to see which was opened automatically and remembering to navigate to the folder in which you want an image file saved. It works the same in Elements as most other applications, like Word, Excel, etc.
J
jhjl1
Jan 9, 2004
Yes, when you save a file in Elements you can browse to whatever folder you want to save in. Along the top of the window you will see a box with
Save In: or you can use the up one level or create new folder. The same
options are available in save as or save for web.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
TF
Terri_Foster
Jan 9, 2004
Gee, I think I’m having another one of those "duh" moments. That has been really irritating me… and there it was right under my nose! Thanks for supplying the information. Sorry for apparently asking the same question that was being answered. I guess my "duh" moments are paring up today.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 9, 2004
Terri

Take heart you only have "duh" moments my live is a series of "duhs" and getting duher as I age.

g.
TF
Terri_Foster
Jan 9, 2004
Now there’s a scary thought.
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 9, 2004
Getting old isn’t for sissies. 🙂
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 10, 2004
Amen, yeah and verily to that, Nancy!

Dick
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 10, 2004
Nancy,

I just love that quote!!

Wendy
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 10, 2004
I’m usuallty really good with putting stuff away. I have a specific folder for everything…I recently lost a pair of ‘wings’ …i made some wings that looked kind of cool and saved them for future use and now i can’t find them. How ironic, I lost my wings ;(

….guess i’ll have to do a search…i sure hope I named them correctly.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 10, 2004
nope, can’t find them. They disappeared into cyber heaven 😉
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 10, 2004
Happens to me all the time, Jodi. Every once in a while I get into a "not paying attention" mode and I regret it instantly. Same things happens with rememebering to keep copies of downloaded installer files!

🙂
ML
Marty_Landolt
Jan 10, 2004
TERRY, You’ve made my day. If someone as sharp as you can goof then I say there’s still a place over the rainbow for me. Now, whenever I do a fast save as that ends up in the wrong place I go back and re-do it. Another careless habit of mine is to click the upper right corner "X" instead of the "Back" arrow .. oops, I get bumped off completely.
With this new XP I have a dickens of a time finding stuff. I have to go to my PSA, find it there, get the path and come back to PSE.
Wonder why Search can’t find it …. or would it be better to do a different kind of search? Marty
TF
Terri_Foster
Jan 10, 2004
Sharp. No way. Still learning. I just try to pick up tips here and there and apply them. Trust me…I am very much still in the learning stage. I think it just appears that way because I read almost every post before I started asking questions. I am constantly learning something new. If it makes you feel better, I still haven’t successfully done one of those water gradients. I think maybe I’ll have to rewatch the tape of the show it was on.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections