D
Posted By
Dabow
Aug 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a few questions relating to problems I’m experiencing with Adobe GoLive and Imageready – particularly with the interaction between the two, which I’m hoping one of you guru’s in here can clear up for me 🙂

The first is when exporting a sliced image from Imageready (IR) to then import into GoLive (GL). I have my complete webpage sliced in IR which I want to Save Optimized as three sections – a header area with all menu items, a middle section, and a bottom (footer) section. Each of these three sections will eventually sit in seperate frames. Unfortunately when I try and export only those slices at the top of the image (for example), the whole page exports. The top selected slices export with images as they should, but the rest of the page exports as a table with ‘filler’ gifs to hold the table structure. So, the question is, how do I get IR to ONLY export the slices I select and ignore the rest of the sliced image and table? I do select to export selected slices only, but this makes no difference. Figure this must be a setting I’m missing somewhere.

The second query is a niggle – how do I change the background colour of the entire page within IR? I only seem to be able to change the background colour of slices but not the whole page colour. This is probably simple, but thought I’d ask anyway 🙂

Finally, what’s the easiest way to export a sliced portion of an image from IR to save as a component in GL?

Hope one of you guys can help. The first question I’m already pulling hair out over!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RD
Richard_de_Koeyer
Aug 18, 2004
These specifics pertain to IR 3, but hopefully you can extrapolate to whatever version you’re at:
1. Select the ‘Selected Slices’ option from Save Optimized (‘Save All Slices’ is the default).
2. In the same Save Optimized dialog, you’ll see the ‘Output Settings’ button wherein you can specify according to the Background settings, a background image and/or color.
3. Not sure of your question here… I’d suggest you let IR generate the HTML code for all the slices, then from GoLive copy and paste the references for only the selected slices into your final webpage.
D
Dabow
Aug 18, 2004
Richard – thanks. I forgot to say that this refers to IR and GL CS.

1) I’ve already tried the ‘Selected Slices’ approach. Yes, this only exports the images from the selected slices, but it STILL exports the rest of the image table plus ‘filler’ GIFs. What I’m after is ONLY the portion of the table which incorporates these images, not the whole table. I can find no setting for this.

2) Thanks, will look there.

3) I always let IR generate the code – but this problem in a way leads back to the issue I have in Q1.
B
Buko
Aug 18, 2004
have you tried placing the IR file as a smart photoshop object in golive.

now anytime you make a change in your ImageReady and save it, it will automatically update.
D
Dabow
Aug 18, 2004
Buko – that I haven’t tried yet, and it is an alternative I may check out. Thanks.

I’d still like to know if there’s an answer to the original problem raised in Q1 tho.
D
Dabow
Aug 18, 2004
Re: Q1 – I’ve now managed to test this on a PC and it does exactly the same thing – exports the whole table as opposed to only the portion of the table that encompasses the selected slices. What’s more, in Adobe’s own helpfile it states:

"Selected Slices to save only the selected slices. If you select this option in conjunction with the HTML and Images option, ImageReady or Photoshop generates the HTML code based on the outermost bounds of the selected slices, and generates auto-slices as needed to create a complete HTML table."

So I can only presuyme this is a bug! Would anyone from Adobe care to comment or does anyone within the forum know of a fix for this problem?
J
jonf
Aug 18, 2004
It sounds like you might have your Output Settings/Slices set to "Always" create spacer cells. If that’s the case, try turning it to Auto or Never and see if it gives you the desired results.
H
Hexebah
Aug 18, 2004
ImageReady is doing exactly what it’s supposed to do. It’s exporting the images and HTML. The fact that you only select certain slices does not mean that IR will generate a Table to fit these images only. IR looks at the whole image when generating html.

Here’s a way to do it. With your layout open Duplicate the image. Crop this duplicate layout starting with a Header. Save as Header.psd then save Optimized. This will save a Header page generated specifically for the images within the Header section.

Now do the same again for the Body section and Footer section. Import the 3 html files into GoLive (don’t update) do the same for the images. Open the Header section/page and copy/paste the contents to a master file.

Works like a dream. You will end up with 1 master PSD and 3 SubSection PSD’s. Yell out if this doesn’t make sense.
D
Dabow
Aug 19, 2004
jonf – Yes, tried altering various settings in my attempts to resolve this, the ones you suggest include. I’m afraid it didn’t work.

Hexebah – This was my fallback plan 🙂 I just had a strong recollection that earlier versions of IR supported selective slice export without including parts of the HTML table that were outside the slice selection. Looking around on various forums that seems to be bourne out by other users of earlier versions who have now converted to CS and experience the same problem. What is surprising is that Adobe’s own help file states that the table exported should only be applicable to the selected slices (at least that’s my take on it). So I don’t know whether it is a bug or design in the newer version.

Your approach will work, I have no issue with that and thanks for your help. I just wanted to know whether I was missing something simple somewhere that would allow me to do it without having to resort to document duplication.
B
Buko
Aug 19, 2004
Did you try using the smart object yet??
D
Dabow
Aug 19, 2004
Trying tonight 😉
DS
Dennis_Semick
Aug 21, 2004
Wait a second…..are you saying if I have a document and I select the top third of the slices, IR will no longer export those slices with a table to accommodate ONLY those images and slices?

I hope this isn’t the case
D
Dabow
Aug 21, 2004
Yes, that’s exactly the case.
L
lbp
Aug 21, 2004
This is what i do: i let IR or Photoshop’s save for web (not a huge IR fan) create the slices and choose the option for it to not generate html. I then manually place the images that are now in a folder on my desktop called "images" into the correct folder that i want it to be called and manually place the slices into a table that i have generated in GL. Not the most intutive work flow but i get less code errors that way.
B
Buko
Aug 21, 2004
what is wrong with smart objects in GoLive??

Am I the only one who uses them?
RL
Ronald_Lanham
Aug 21, 2004
Extra proprietary code.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 21, 2004
You can always work with Smart Objects (it is definitely the smart thing to do!) then strip the extra proprietary code from the Site files before uploading them.
D
Dabow
Aug 25, 2004
Are Smart Objects really the ‘smart thing to do’… because after having tried them I now have serious reservations about them. At first they appear like a Godsend – the ability to patch in a PSD file directly and let GL do all the work. That was until I realised that it was only good for one document at a time! Try and incorporate a SO into a template or stationary and every time you create another page from that stationary or template GL throws up a warning that the SO is being referenced from two locations, and that you should create a new target file. So that’s a new set of target files for EVERY page you create which contains that SO. IMO that’s not so smart at all!

Of course if any of the SO advocates have found a way around this rather limiting issue I’d love to hear it 🙂
DS
Dennis_Semick
Aug 30, 2004
I agree Dabow,
I can complicate that even more. I have a 1200 page intranet site that gets additions every month. I make one PSD document that represents anywhere from 8 to 30 pages. Each web page is on a layer. I turn on a layer, select the slices that change, export the appropriate slices and past that table into a stationary document and repeat for every layer in the PSD document. The only way to use SO is to have a separate document for each of those pages. What a nightmare that will be.
I am really hoping I’m misunderstanding this thread here. Why would they take away a feature in CS that is in v7 …..please…no…tell me it isn’t so….

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections