JC
Posted By
Jane Carter
Jul 29, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I had planned to study Bryce this winter, and after hearing that Corel discontinued it for Mac, I rushed out to buy it. Too doggone late! I just missed it.
I need to somehow get "Corel Bryce 5 Full Win and Mac" Trying on eBay now. Hoping someone here will have a Bryce 5 for Mac that I could buy. (I already have the book.)
Thank you, Jane

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth Haney
Jul 29, 2003
Somebody is ebaying it. I copied what you’d written above (Corel Bryce 5 etc.), dropped it in a Google search window and got several hits, including an ebay page. Right now, there’s a copy with a current price of $39. I have no idea what this software is, but you might want to wander on over to ebay and see what you can find. Good luck!
R
Ray
Jul 29, 2003
Jane,

Look no further :
http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/924/wo/Z Izwz1SCRjcRJhbUyO/1.4.0.5.10.11.0.1?60,26

How, look deep, deep and deeper into your pocket 🙂

It’s on the Apple UK site.

Ray
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 29, 2003
I’m just curious – are there complications to a U S resident ordering from the UK store?
P
Phosphor
Jul 29, 2003
Beth, they won’t let you, just as you can’t order from the education store if you don’t qualify. You can put things in your shopping cart, but when you go to check out, it will know where you live and that’s the end of it.
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 30, 2003
Ah ha! I didn’t think so, but I didn’t want to make a statement like that until somebody else had verified it.

Jane, looks to me like it’s back to ebay! Or at least some other option besides the UK Apple Store.
P
Phosphor
Jul 30, 2003
‘Fraid so. If you could order from any country, everyone would order macs directly from the US and avoid the special fees, duty, etc. in their home countries.

So for once, Jane, I’m afraid the US is on the short end of the stick. Sorry.
JC
Jane Carter
Jul 30, 2003
Hi All, That is what I ordered from my academic supplier and they sent me the PC one. The cross platform CD has been pulled from the stores. The UK one is PC too. I probably should keep it, as all my kids have PCs, $55 is almost not worth sending it back. I WILL keep it, for Christmas next winter.
But it is the thought behind all of this; why do these companies pull their Mac versions off the market? They are losing a large school and student presence, I would think that young students are the trend of the future market, and these companies are losing them because they are concerned with immediate money as their bottom line.
I have been bidding on eBay but don’t really like to do business that way. But if I have to purchase in that manner, so be it.
Jane
R
Ray
Jul 30, 2003
Jane,

Is there a university where you live? Or a college? You could try to call their shops (I don’t know the exact expression for this in English, students shop..?) Since there is more Mac in school, you may be lucky and find a copy there. And if you don’t intend to make money out of this software, the academic version might be a good alternative!

Ray
JC
Jane Carter
Jul 30, 2003
Thanks Barbara and Ray, Yes, my son-in-law works at MIT, but most of their stuff is for PC. My husband works at WHOI and gets the academic versions on most everything but their supplier is out of the Mac Bryce.
I have looked at some of the Bryce alternatives, and that is a good way to deal with this. But I am bidding on one on eBay at the moment.
Thanks for the suggestions, I really want to get the Bryce 5, as I have a course lined up for me to take this winter after I get a bit better with PSE.
This sure is fun, and I am going to have a winter of goodies to learn. Even if I can’t get the Bryce, I won’t worry. I did get the Corel KPT Collection of Photoshop plugins.
Jane
P
Phosphor
Jul 30, 2003
I really want to get the Bryce 5, as I have a course lined up for me to take this winter after I get a bit better with PSE….I did get the Corel KPT Collection of Photoshop plugins.

Um, Jane, forgive me here, but do you really want to spend so much time/money/effort on software that is out of date and won’t even run on your new computer?

This would be like me taking a course to get better at Pagemaker…there’s a point where things have to move on, whether you like or it or not. I personally like Pagemaker better than InDesign–it does all the limited things I need, but I would never even consider buying it now.
JC
Jane Carter
Jul 30, 2003
Hi Barbara, I sort of have to start somewhere, and have found classes for Bryce. Have seen some of the great art by Bryce users. I thought that I should start at the bottom, as I don’t know much about this. I love PSE and I think that KPT Collection are plug ins for PSE and Photoshop. Then when I get the basics of Bryce, I can move on to others, newer and better. This Bryce 5 version is supposed to be OK for OS X.
I have been able mostly to get things with the academic discounts, so the money hasn’t been much of an issue.
I just immensly enjoy PSE and love the learning process, and have just recently retired, so have plenty of time in the winter to ‘play’.
Jane
R
Ray
Jul 30, 2003
Um, Jane, forgive me here, but do you really want to spend so much
time/money/effort on software that is out of date and maybe won’t even run on your new computer?

Barbara, just because something is outdated doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a bad thing to buy it, or use it. Untill I switched to Windows XP, I was still running an astronomy software that was dated 1994, designed for Windows 3.11 🙂

And Bryce can really do wonders. Corel retiring it has nothing to do with the quality of the software, believe me. In a matter of minutes (10 at best), I was able to a two mountains / sky / body of water drawing that looked fabulous!

Digging the net, I found dozens of groups of loyal Bryce supporters. And now that Corel is liquidating it at 50% or so, it’s one more good reason to go get a version of this software. Have a look at this link : http://www.metasynth.com/BRYCEART/classics/bryceClassics.htm l

Ray
JC
Jane Carter
Jul 31, 2003
Hi Ray, I am glad that I did find the Bryce 5 for Mac. On their forum I found that it will work on OS X too.
What incredible pictures those guys produce!

That’s a great link! Neat mouse-over too, what a way to do a slide show. I am too tired tonight to even look at how Erik did that,,,,,,,

Hi Barbara, Yes, I sure will look at the new stuff, but I have to get some of the basics into my brain first. You know, I am not young,,,,, I took on far too much this summer, got way behind in my learning. We have a short swimming and boating season here, just 8 or 10 weeks of the really nice hot weather, so that cut the computer/indoor time way down. Lots of cool and chilly weather coming up, and our activity outdoors becomes much less, so more time with PSE! I just wish there were more hours in a day.
Jane
R
Ray
Jul 31, 2003
And if you have the time, Jane, look at all the other artists : http://www.metasynth.com/BRYCEART/PAGES/galleryBryce.html

Incredibly stunning!

Ray
R
Ray
Jul 31, 2003
And one very, very talented artist : http://www.aztekgraphics.com/ This is really worth viewing, I’m telling you, you’ll be mesmerized !

Ray
P
Phosphor
Jul 31, 2003
Hi, Jane. Yes, right now the top-end emac is more powerful than the top-end imac. That will probably change again when its the imac’s turn to be updated, but the emac is a very good buy, no question.

I’m happy it wasn’t available when I got my imac, because I would have felt that I couldn’t justify getting the imac if the emac were an alternative, but I sure do enjoy my imac more than I would an emac. But that’s just a personal taste thing. If you are strictly logical about it, dollar for dollar the emac is the best deal right now. It just lacks coolness and the adjustable screen (which IMHO is worth the whole price of the computer, especially if your eyesight isn’t fabulous.)
JC
Jane Carter
Jul 31, 2003
Hi Barbara, I am not getting any younger, and the eyesight is getting to be worse, so the adjustable screen would probably be great for me.
And the eMac is at least 50 pounds, and quite bulky to carry. I have wanted to bring my brother’s one over here, but I don’t want to tote the thing up and down stairs.
I am hoping the iMacs catch up with power, as you say.
I love my G4, but have actually wondered if I really need something that big this time. Why wouldn’t a nice iMac be just right, and I assume I can stuff it full of memory as I did for my husband’s older iMac.
I haven’t gone to our local Mac store to see how I like the new flat LCD screens compared with my lovely big old CRT monitor. I know I don’t like the older powerbook screens.

I love shopping for Macs and computer stuff(I hate food and clothing shopping), so this will be fun this November.
Oh, almost forgot this; Do the new iMacs have fans, or they nice and silent? We live in a quiet area, and I would rather have a silent computer. Our bird feeders are right outside my window, and I love to hear them.
Every time I visit any of my favourite forums(this one especially) I get another jolt of inspiration for new toys and goodies!
Thanks, Jane
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 31, 2003
Barbara,

Yes, right now the top-end emac is more powerful than the top-end imac

I went on the Apple store site and both computers have identical processor (Power PC G4 1Ghz).

When you say "iMac", you mean the dome like computer? And the eMac is one that has the same shape as the former "flavored" iMac?

If it’s the case, is there something else to look at, asside from processor power, when shopping for a Mac ?

Ray
P
Phosphor
Jul 31, 2003
No, Ray, Beth meant that the grammars are interchangeable. Macs, especially the consumer macs, are not designed to be monkeyed with the way pcs are. As a matter of fact, if you do any work on your new imac besides installing ram in the user-accessible slot or putting in an airport card, you will void your warranty completely. (HFS+ is the usual mac format, btw. One thing to watch out for as unix person is that you don’t want to format for UFS or none of your mac apps will run.)

And congrats on the imac. (My head knows the emac is sensible, but I just can’t get past the fact that it looks like a 50 lb egg.)
P
Phosphor
Aug 1, 2003
Yes, the imac is much quieter than the emac, although the fan is audible, unlike some of the earlier imacs that were totally silent because they had no fan. But it’s still a pretty quiet computer, even compared to other macs.

There is no getting away from the fact that the emac is BIG. The 17" CRT makes it a lot bigger than the old all-in-one imacs were. Portable it is definitely not. One reason I got the imac is that I live on a barrier island and it’s great for evacuating–I just cover the screen, pick it up (23 lbs) and go.
JC
Jane Carter
Aug 1, 2003
Hi Barbara,
We also have hurricane problems here once in a while. The water has never made it to my brother’s house, as he is on a hill overlooking the sea(our grandfather bought it in 1906). We have never had the ocean get to our house either(about 4 miles away), but it has come close. We do have a plan if we see it coming too close, dog, cat, computer, cameras, and everything we could grab, and head for his house.

Anyway, I am going to keep looking at the new models as they arrive in our local store. The ideal one would be a light iMac with plenty of horsepower! And a quiet fan.
It’s raining today, so I might even take a quick drive to the Mac store. Jane
JC
Jane Carter
Aug 1, 2003
Thanks, Barbara, I almost stopped at the Mac store this afternoon, but this time of year is traffic-hell, so went on about our business and came home.
(I have some old and extra keyboards that my grandsons love to pound on, so I will get a new one for sure.)
I sure will be asking you for Mac info, this is going to be fun. My brother’s wife’s brother works on and off for Apple as a video consultant, and will be here on vacation in August, so I sure will fire some questions at him. He knows what is ‘ahead’.
Jane
JC
Jane Carter
Aug 2, 2003
I never have networked my Macs together but with all my peripherals, I assume I could use file sharing through the router?
But the new Mac would have its own CD burner inside it, and printers are under $100, so they might not be needed. If I got the BigMac, I would need another monitor, but with the e or i, that would be included.
The ext. hard drive is firewire, so all I do with that is plug it in. It is a win-win situation, no matter what Mac I get!
I am curious what ‘core’ memory is too. I just buy generic memory for what ever machine and put it in, and it works. Perhaps I should be more careful?
till tomorrow, Jane
BH
Beth Haney
Aug 2, 2003
Well… they might have something similar, but that term isn’t anything I’ve ever heard. (But I can say that about a lot of stuff!) Could you describe what its purpose is? Macs have level 1, level 2, and some have level 3 cache. Frankly, I don’t understand how it works, but I know the level 2 cache increased in speed when I installed a newer, faster, processor in my computer. Mine doesn’t have level 3 cache – too old. Does that fit in with anything you’re trying to relate to ‘core’ memory?

Maybe Joe will stop by and answer this one, and we’ll both learn something! He should definitely know.
R
Ray
Aug 2, 2003
Jane,

There’s a promotion going on at the Apple.com site. Buy a Mac and get 99$ back on HP Printers 🙂

In Canada, the offer is different, it’s a Canon i450 printer for free!

Ray
BH
Beth Haney
Aug 2, 2003
Chuck, you addressed that last post to Jane. Did you mean me? And are you admitting that you were messin’ with my mind??!! What little I have left?! I’m giving up on computers for today and heading for bed. I really miss my reruns of Law and Order on Friday nights. I need something to focus on besides Macs and Wins and the internet and all kinds of other stuff that’s making my white hair fall out. See you guys tomorrow. 🙂
JC
Jane Carter
Aug 2, 2003
Good morning Beth and everybody, Its raining cats and dogs here, so I get a computer day. So much for us painting the trim on our house today.
A good day to practise my PSE!
Jane

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections