Posted By
Charles_Barnes
Jan 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Please help a neophyte!
When using Print Review in Elements II I don’t see how one uses "Custom Paper" – highlighting it doesn’t seem to allow entry of any values. Cheers – Charles.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 13, 2004
Setting the paper size needs to be done from the Page Setup option that appears on the Print Preview screen. Once you click on that, you should get a screen that matches whatever the options are that you normally get using your own printer. So, go to Print Preview, then Page Setup, set the custom paper size, click OK, you go back to Print Preview, and then hit Print from there.

Or… I’m not understanding the question right! 🙂 Good luck, I hope this is the info you need. If not, please give more information about what custom paper size you’re trying to get and the make/model printer you’re using.
CB
Charles_Barnes
Jan 13, 2004
Thanks for the help, Beth.
I am using a Canon i850 printer.
The paper sizes I am trying to get
are 7.5×10 and 4.25×5.5 inches.
Other programs I have used allow
one to enter values when "Custom" or
other such term is used.
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 13, 2004
Now are you trying to set up a custom paper size – the paper itself being 7.5 X 10, for example? Or are you trying to set a custom canvas size on which the digital images are placed?

And if it is the paper itself, then that needs to be done through the Canon software, and I don’t happen to be familiar with it. We’ll have to wait for a Canon user to wander by.

Clarify which you want, though – real paper or digital canvas, please. Sometimes different people use different terms to describe the same thing.
CB
Charles_Barnes
Jan 13, 2004
I am beginning to feel a little dense but anyway…
Yes, I was trying to set up a custom paper size (real paper) using (I hoped) the "Custom Paper" mode in Print Review. How about another tack…how would you create a custom paper size of 4.25×5.5 inches (real paper) using Elements II?
Thanking you for your patience – Charles.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 13, 2004
Well, I can’t tell you about XP, since I don’t use the canon with it, but for mac OS X, the custom paper size is in the print setup dialog. I choose format for i9100 instead of "any printer" then go to the pulldown menu that says "page attributes", click New and then I can enter any custom paper size and save it.

I don’t have the driver installed in XP, so can’t check there. Sorry. My HP driver for XP doesn’t seem to allow any custom sizes for some reason, although it does in X.
BT
Ben_T
Jan 13, 2004
Charles
Give this a try;
In elements > File > New > Preset Size: Custom > Width – 4.25 – inches
Height – 5.5 – inches
OK
hth, Ben
JR
John_R._Collins
Jan 14, 2004
Hi Charles,
If you wish to set up a new (permanently available) page size in Photoshop Elements, here’s what you do:
1) In Windows Explorer, go to the PE2 directory (Prog. Files/Adobe/Photoshop Elements2/Required/Default New Doc Sizes.txt
2) Open this by double-clicking it.
3) Near the top of this document, you will see the lines: "Default Photoshop Size"

"separator"

; Standard paper sizes

4) Below, this you will see how the information re name, size, unit and resolution are placed for each of the page types.
5) You could add your own new custom sheet data above the first one (Legal) already mentioned. (That’s where I put mine: 2 8.5×11" pages, one portrait and one landscape orientation.)
6) When you save this file back where it came from and then restart PE2, you’ll see your custom page ready to open.

John
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 14, 2004
Now, John and Ben, somebody here is confused, and it very well could be me. Each of you have given information about how to set a custom document size within Elements. If I’m understanding you right, you’re referring to creating custom pages on which image files can be placed. Kind of like a Picture Package. I’ve been under the impression that Charles didn’t need information on the document size for images, but rather how to set up printing on a custom size piece of paper that he runs through his printer.

If you’ll look on the preceding page, I was getting this from post #4 in which he stated "real paper". Is it me? Or? 🙂
BT
Ben_T
Jan 14, 2004
Beth
I am not sure what Charles is trying to accomplish. As you point out: His statement; “How about another tack…how would you create a custom paper size of 4.25×5.5 inches (real paper) using Elements II?” Zeroing mostly on this statement. I decided to use the “Try this” approach thinking that just going trough that simple process would help find his own answer. I also ignored “Custom” and “real Paper”.
Ben
SS
Scott_Szymanski
Jan 15, 2004
Help please or give direction. Resizing my paper to be 4×6 and that goes well. I resize my photo using Image>Resize>etc. When I print, I get a white bar along the bottom and at one of the ends. The actual printed pic dimensions are 3.75×5.5. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections