MF
Posted By
Martin_Feldman
Aug 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using Photoshop CS and Mac OSX 10.3 on a PowerMac and although I can create and save custom paper sizes before printing, they are greyed out when the paper size is requested and only a short list of standard sizes can be selected. What am I leaving out or do I need a software patch to enable this important (to me) feature? I had been able to use in Photoshop 6 and 7 until I went with CS and Panther (OSX 10.3). Thanks for any help available.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 6, 2004
What printer are you using?

Custom paper sizes are a function of the printer driver, not the application.
MF
Martin_Feldman
Aug 6, 2004
Chris:

I can’t believe I left out the printer. It is an Epson 2000P which is not well-supported by Epson. I suspect it is a software problem since the custom sizes are displayed greyed-out and can’t be chosen. I tried in the past with other problems and got little help from Apple or Epson about driver updates compatible with new OS’s. I am hoping someone using Photoshop CS, Panther and the 2000P has an answer. Thanks
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 7, 2004
Also make sure you are using the Epson driver, not the GIMP Print driver (available on 10.3 for many common printers).
MF
Martin_Feldman
Aug 7, 2004
There is no Epson driver for OS 10.3 on their download site for the 2000P. If I reinstall the 10.1 or 10.2 driver will Photoshop CS be back-compatible? will OS 10.3 interfere and default to the Gimp? These are software questions either stupid or unfair to ask on this forum but I am pessimistic about getting anywhere with the vendors.Thanks for your help so far. I am timid about fiddling with software, having had serious side effects in the past. My present workaround is to save the file in PhotoshopCS and reopen it in Photoshop 6 which I run under OS9. This allows printing longer (custom) sizes but has its obvious disadvantages.
R
Ram
Aug 7, 2004
Martin,

There is too an OS X printer driver for the Epson Stylus Photo 2000P (CLICK HERE) < http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_ UseBVCookie=yes&oid=14377&prodoid=8987&infoType= Downloads&platform=Macintosh> on the Epson site.

Scroll down to see the OS X version 1.0. It should work in Panther too, at least it does on some machines. The reason it says only "Macintosh OS X (v10.0 – 10.1)" is because the driver was posted before Jaguar came out.
MF
Martin_Feldman
Aug 8, 2004
Ramon,
I already had the 10.1 driver from Epson for the 2000P installed. But just in case any Gimp files were competing, I got the Gimp uninstaller from the Gimp website and ran it. Then I reinstalled the 10.1 Epson driver, rebooted and tried again. The problem persists. Any other things I might try? Thanks.
MF
Martin_Feldman
Aug 8, 2004
Chris and Ramon:

I discovered how to make it work. It is necessary to select "Any Printer" in the Page Setup window and all page sizes including my photoshop custom page sizes are available. Once one is chosen it obediently appears in the "Print with preview" window correctly scaled and the intended printer can be chosen in the final print window before data is sent to printer. Thanks to all. I hope this helps anyone else who might encounter this problem.
R
Ram
Aug 8, 2004
Martin,

Unfortunately I don’t have experience with the 2000p, but there some things that you may have not tried yet, at least judging by the information on this thread alone.

* ===> First suggestion:

Try Repairing Permissions (with Apple’s Disk Utility) BEFORE and AFTER any system upgrade as well as BEFORE and AFTER installing any software that uses an installer.

I know it sounds like OS X voodoo, and it is; but it fixes and prevents a bunch of problems.

Additionally, if your machine does not run 24/7 so that it runs the daily, weekly and monthly Cron Scripts in the middle of the night as intended, run Cocktail (shareware) as well.

* ===> Another suggestion: make sure you are set for the appropriate type of paper. For instance, if you are using roll paper, your custom sizes may not be available. Or the custom size may exceed the printable area for your printer. Just a thought; I’m just making semi-educated guesses here.
MF
Martin_Feldman
Aug 11, 2004
In message 7 above, I thought I had it solved but although the method had the desired (custom) page size chosen, Photoshop 8 and the Epson 2000P would not make a print to fit the chosen custom paper size, only a
5 or 8 inch wide printout on a 13 inch paper. So I am still seeking a solution.
JY
Jack_Youngblood
Aug 20, 2004
Custom paper sizes have only just received support in OS X from Epsom. Double check you have the latest driver.
MF
Martin_Feldman
Aug 20, 2004
Jack

Last I looked a few weeks ago, they supported OS X up to but not including OS x 10.3 (Panther) for the 2000P. This model Epson is neglected for some reason.

Thanks

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections