IH
Posted By
irene_hank
Dec 24, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
the program i have is adobe photoshop cs/image ready cs. i have been going nuts on trying to figure out how to work with this.i have read alot of tutorials and a few lessons, but somewhere i have yet to find exactaly what im looking for.i open file and then open my photos and double click on one. and then i go to the layers pallet and double click it and make it a background layer. i have learned how to mess around with that photo, but my problem is this. i want to make another layer and edit it in a way that i can make some sort of collage with another photo, so i have tried to hit create a new layer and then i want another pic to put in there but how.im not even for sure if i worded all this crap right.all of the tutorials that ive read already have two differnt photos in two different layers. i boggles my mind.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 24, 2003
Irene, open up a second image from your browser and grab it by it’s default blue frame and slide alongside the first image you already have on your screen. Use the ‘move’ tool and slide the new image onto the first…hold down shift key while doing this to center it. Then you will see your new image in the layers palette. This is just one way. Be sure your images are the same resolution.
IH
irene_hank
Dec 24, 2003
thank you so very much man thats the bomb now i have to go play so thanx a million
R
Ray
Dec 24, 2003
Irene,

I don’t wanna sound like a smart … (3 letter word begins with a…), but have you read the manual that comes with Photoshop CS ? Give it a try, at least for the first few chapters. Also, please note that this board is for Photoshop Elements, a different software.

Ray
R
Ray
Dec 24, 2003
???
JH
Jim_Hess
Dec 24, 2003
Irene,

Photoshop is not what one would consider as typical consumer level software. It is the foremost image editing software available. If you haven’t had any experience using Photoshop, I would recommend that you check your community college or your vocational education facilities and see if there are any classes available. There are so many different ways of accomplishing things that you need to spend a considerable amount of time familiarizing yourself with the program. Using layers is one of the basic "building blocks" when working with images, but it’s not a subject that can be effectively dealt with in a forum such as this. You really need to find some method to familiarize yourself with the program. Adobe publishes a Classroom in a Book for every version of Photoshop that has been released. That might be a good place for you to begin. There are people on this forum who can probably help you with some of your questions, but Photoshop, particularly the CS version, is so new that I suspect there will be only a few people who will be able to provide you with version specific answers. Most of us are using Photoshop Elements, and that software program does not include all of the features that are available to you. However, we find that Elements provides us with enough functionality that we are content using it.
IH
irene_hank
Dec 24, 2003
thanx to you also raymond. ill take me questions to another board.im still learning how to navigate this forum. thanx for the detail.so i suppose i choose the adobe photoshop cs/image ready cs board for further questions?thats cool but thanx anyway everbody.i didnt pay that much attention to all the different forum topics. this will help me greatly
MH
mary_hassett
Jun 5, 2007
I have photoshop cs2, when I open the first image, my inent is to do a new layer, so I click that, I open up the 2nd image, and it replaces the first image. My goal is to do a gif image in imageready when I’m done.

why is this happening, Please Help Me.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 5, 2007
It’s not very clear what the problem is. Are you saying you can’t have two images open at the same time?
MH
mary_hassett
Jun 5, 2007
No. I can’t get two seperate images in the layers. the instructions say you can open up to 12 picture’s , each within their own layer, then save that as a pdf document. so it is supposed to be a saved document of up to 12 images-or whatever the choice may be, but the only time I ever get "layers" to happen is when I work on one image. meaning, I can’t get the "add new layer" to keep it seperate from the other pics, it kicks them to the curb so to speak.

each picture will open up in its own layer window and they will all say layer 1, In order for this to work as a moving gif image, it has to be layer 1, layer 2, layer 3, etc, etc. That dosen’t seem to be doing that, how do I correct this??
A
Aloalo
Jun 5, 2007
Copy/paste the images into a photoshop document so you get 1 file(psd,pdf,etc..) with several images. Is this what you want?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 5, 2007
Or just position two images side by side and using the Move tool, drag one into the other. It will come in as its own layer. Hold down Shift to make sure it’s centered.

You can also do this holding down Ctrl.

You can also go to Duplicate Layer from the flyout arrow in the Layers palette and choose the image you want as the Destination.

You can do this with as many images as you want. Many more than 12.

EDIT: This can be automated with an action as well, but that’s a little more complicated.
MH
mary_hassett
Jun 5, 2007
The idea of this as one file, Yes, However, I tried copy and paste this morning, afer opeing the first pic, then I just right clicked the next pdf pic, choose copy, went to the new layer, hovered over it, right clicked, didn’t get to paste it.

Then I tried to open the next pdf document and used the crop tool, clicked edit, copy, went back to layer 2, right clcked but received no option again to paste.

This was suggested to me very early this morning to try it this way from someone, other than that, they’re out of ideas.
MH
mary_hassett
Jun 5, 2007
Hi ed, I hope you don’t mind, but I sent you a regular email with screenshots of the step by step process of what’s happening, as I do not explain myself well and confuse people. and I showed what the end result is supposed to look like, before saving as pdf.

it was sent to:

I hope it reaches you, and I showed also what happens in imageready when trying to save as a gif, optimmized for the web.

If I understand this correctly,
Open up my images I want to use, choose move tool and drag one pic over another, while holding down shift to center the image, this will make it come into it’s own layer??

Or:
I can open up my images, choose duplicate layer, and this will let me choose which document I want to duplicate??

Do I have this correct??
MH
mary_hassett
Jun 5, 2007
Delivery of the email failed, is there a way I can show you or whomever the step by step snapshots I took of what happens when i do this??.

I will try your methods that you suggest today.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 5, 2007
Open up my images I want to use, choose move tool and drag one pic over another, while holding down shift to center the image, this will make it come into it’s own layer??

Drag from the image window in one document to the other document’s image window.

I can open up my images, choose duplicate layer, and this will let me choose which document I want to duplicate??

No, it lets you choose which document you will duplicate the layer TO.

e-mail me at
B
Bernie
Jun 5, 2007
Post on <http://www.pixentral.com>

Copy the HTML code at the bottom of your image (NOT the forum code)
MH
mary_hassett
Jun 5, 2007
I sent you the email, Thanks.
MH
mary_hassett
Jun 5, 2007
Here are the photos I want to use with the html code, they are not all sized the same, right Now, I just need to first get these steps down on how to do this, before I get into sizing and all that fun stuff.

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1ZzIeHrRfqzkM8VnEY 67ESJFIWGd> < http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1jGg9ZtNf67OVrzRte n1xQhAGEQcR> < http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1ke3cGqmHSp9FXFDty GMX7YwsHsXqo> < http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1Qp1Hmw625sIbKfvR5 xs9yueg7OZ0>

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections