TH
Posted By
Tom_Hanser
Feb 13, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What happened to this key command? I use it all the time, and it’s listed in the Edit\Keyboard Shortcuts dialogue box.

This same key command works on my Windows machine, same version of CS2, but not on my Mac.

Has anyone else come across this? I’ve deleted my preferences, too.

Thanks!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Feb 13, 2007
Did you try it with a different keyboard?
TH
Tom_Hanser
Feb 13, 2007
Not yet, no. I have another keyboard and mouse in storage, so I may have to dig it out.

I can, however, go to my menu using my mouse and complete a "New Layer via Copy" command. But not using the keyboard.

I never considered it, but maybe it’s time for a new keyboard.

Thanks.
GB
g_ballard
Feb 13, 2007
make sure you are not in quickmask (trashing your pref will also get it back if that is not the case) BTDT

ps: come to think of it QM may be another thing I hit before, try resetting the prefs…

I’ve deleted my preferences, too.

Aye, I missed that part, too, more coffee please 🙂 try purging your pref manually and completely
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 13, 2007
Tom:

Try re-entering Cmd J in

Edit menu/Keyboard Shortcuts/Layers

Click "Accept"

then Save your new shortcuts to a new set with a new name.
TH
Tom_Hanser
Feb 14, 2007
Thanks, Ann.

But something strange is going on here – when I hit CMD + J in the Keyboard Shorcuts/Layers dialogue box (while re-entering CMD + J) it says "CMD + C is already in use".

CMD + C? Where does it get that? I’m typing CMD + J, and it thinks I’m typing CMD + C.

So, how did PS get so confused? Now I’m typing CMD + J, and it’s placing CMD + C in the shortcut text box. Very strange.

Is my keyboard screwed up on this machine?

Thanks again.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 14, 2007
As you say: "Very strange".
Do you have another keyboard that you can try?
What happens if you create a New User account and log-in to use that? You might also want to check your settings in System Preferences/International.
P
PECourtejoie
Feb 14, 2007
Get the type tool, and type the letter C. Is your keyboard set to english?
B
Buko
Feb 14, 2007
Did you or someone spill their martini in your keyboard? B)
TH
Tom_Hanser
Feb 14, 2007
Hmmm… no martinis, no.

The keyboard types lower and upper case J just fine in Text Edit, and PhotoShop.

I’ve determined CMD + J is mapped to CMD + C, somehow.

Make a selection on a layer, and hit CMD + J – nothing appears to happen.

Make a new layer, and hit paste, and your selection is pasted on that layer.

So it DID actually copy your selection you made to the clipboard. It was supposed to simply paste this selection into a new layer, which I use every day for the last 5-6 years, I’m not kidding!

Somehow the shortcuts are corrupted.

Also, pressing F12 in Mac OS X doesn’t revert your PS file, it brings up the Dashboard. But this isn’t as bad as the CMD + J shortcut that’s not working!

Thanks, everyone.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 14, 2007
Did you try this:

What happens if you create a New User account and log-in to use that?

Have you also tried trashing:
Users/Tom/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CS3 Settings/Keyboard Shortcuts.psp

And did check your settings in System Preferences/International. ?
TH
Tom_Hanser
Feb 14, 2007
Good catch, Ann.

Creating a new user account and logging in to that account, launching PS, and resetting my preferences the way I like them WORKED. CMD + J works again.

I neglected to try that first, thinking the problem was exclusive to PS, and not the OS.

Thanks so much, Ann, and give yourself a raise.

Tom Hanser
Seattle, WA
P
PECourtejoie
Feb 15, 2007
In fact, you needed to check the copy shortcut, it was mapped to CTRL+J.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections