Older G4 /w Monitor & CS Upgrade…System Requirements?

C
Posted By
CraigA
Jul 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have OS-X.3 Panther on a partition and I’m ready to upgrade to CS from PS 5.5. I checked the system requirements and it looks like I’m ok except for my monitor & video card. I am wondering about my graphic card. I have an ATY, 128Pro /w 16MB VRAM, (For the 17in. Studio Display CRT monitor) and it supports Millions of colors, but I have no idea if it is a 16bit or 8bit color card. The specs for CS say it requires a 16 bit video card. Apple’s system profiler doesn’t specify.

I have a G4-500sp AGP & 17in. Studio Display CRT monitor purchased in Feb of 2000. Am I going to have to upgrade my video card before I can use CS?

Any help is appreciated!!

Craig

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

GP
Graham_Phillips
Jul 7, 2004
You actually have a 32-bit colour card, so there are no problems there. You can use CS.
BF
Bruce_Fraser
Jul 7, 2004
The minimum requirement is a 16-bit video card as in 16-bit = thousands of colors. Your video card should be fine
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 8, 2004
But you should add as much RAM as you can stuff inside your computer as Photoshop is a memory hog. Depending upon file sizes you typically use (including layers), you should probably consider at least 1GB RAM. And OS X eats up more of your memory resources than OS 9.

Neil
P
progress
Jul 8, 2004
dont bother past 2.5gb unless you want to work in other programs as well as PS…PS is limited by the OS to use only 2gb max.
R
Ram
Jul 8, 2004
Progress,

dont bother past 2.5gb unless …

I doubt that’s an issue in the case of a "G4-500sp AGP". 🙂
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jul 10, 2004
OS X graphics can be a slowdown with an older box/video card, but it sounds like you already have OS X running OK.
C
CraigA
Jul 13, 2004
Thank you all for the information.

Photoshop CS will be the first software addition I will be making to OS X & the bundled stuff it installed. Everything else I have is for OS 9x so I guess I’ll be switching between partitions alot.

At least now I can work with my new Nikon D70’s raw files without using the S-S-S-L-OOOOOOO-W-W-W Nikon capture software. Hope this is faster.

Thanks

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections