MB
Posted By
Mike_Broomfield
Nov 8, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
System is a Core 2 Duo 6700 with 4GB, XP2 Pro SP3.

Installing PS CS4 upgrade over CS3.
Downloaded file unpacks OK, but when running Setup the Checking System Profile bar gets to about 90% the PS Setup window flashes up for barely a second, then the install hangs, ie no further progress with the Checking System Profile (left if for 20 mins or so).
I’ve downloaded and run a new CS4 upgrade file from Adobe store. No change. I’ve added SP3 (was on SP2), no change.
Any one seen this or have any ideas?

Thanks!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

E
Ender
Nov 8, 2008
I guess the first two obvious things are New Admin and Selective Startup.

Go to Control Panel>User Account.
Create a new account.
Name it something like "test" and give it admin privileges. Go to Start>Run and type in MSConfig.
Press OK.
Click on the Services tab and check the box that says "Hide all Microsoft Services". Press Disable All.
Put a check back into FlexNet Licensing Service.
Click the Startup Tab.
Press Disable All.
Press OK.
Restart when it asks.
When it restarts log onto that new admin and try again.
Let us know what happens.
DE
Dave_Evanson
Nov 8, 2008
Try disabling any antivirus software before installing.
MB
Mike_Broomfield
Nov 8, 2008
Thanks Ender, will give that a shot.

Dave, no antivirus enabled on this PC as it’s not connected (I screen SW downloads through my work notebook.. 🙂 …

Cheers,

Mike
MB
Mike_Broomfield
Nov 8, 2008
I created a new Admin account and turned off MS and Startups as above and got exactly the same result. Just a flash of the install screen about 90% of the way through the System Profile check.

Mike
E
Ender
Nov 8, 2008
Hmm…

This is a bit of a long shot. After the screen flashes do this:

Hit Alt+Spacebar
Hit "M"
Put the cursor in the center of the screen and hit the up arrow on your keyboard.

Also, do you have a dual monitor setup?
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 8, 2008
PS Setup window flashes up for barely a second, then the install hangs, ie no further progress with the Checking System Profile (left if for 20 mins or so).

there were cases with cs3 where it hung for up to an hour then continued. i’d let it go while you go eat dinner and watch a movie.
MB
Mike_Broomfield
Nov 8, 2008
I searched around and found a CS4 cleanup utility. I’m running that now as I found CS4 listed as a program and I could not remove it. After that I’ll try the 2 suggestions above.

Thanks for the help

Mike
MB
Mike_Broomfield
Nov 8, 2008
I confirmed that CS4 no longer exists in the Programs although the cleanup file didn’t find it. Reran Setup and got the same issue. Going to leave it while I have dinner now. Will try your other suggestion Ender when I get back in a few hrs….

Thanks again

Mike
MB
Mike_Broomfield
Nov 9, 2008
3 * hrs and the check sys profile bar is still there. I tried the ALT space and got a restore, move minimize, dialog which closed once I hit M (for Move?). I do have dual screens and both are working so there were no hidden windows.

PS4 is back in my program list (from Add/Remove in the Control panel). If I try to remove it the CS4 Setup window appears but then crashes. If I try to do a Change/Remove while the sys profile bar is open it says it can only install one Adobe product at a time and to complete the other installation 1st.

Mike
E
Ender
Nov 9, 2008
I had a feeling you had dual screens. Restart your computer to get past the silly 1 setup at a time error.

When it’s back try these steps:
a)right click your desktop and choose properties
b)click the settings tab
c)disable your secondary monitor
d)click advanced
e)choose the troubleshoot tab
f)if you are able to move the slider bar, move it all the way to the left
g)click OK on both windows
h)restart when it asks

Try to install once again once it has restarted. If it fails, download the Video card drivers from the manufactures website (Date on the driver should be October 15 or near it).

The steps I’m suggesting are kind of random, but the issue your having has happened to a few folks already, and I have not yet seen a fix.
MB
Mike_Broomfield
Nov 9, 2008
Well thanks for the continued ideas, but no joy with either of these I’m afraid.

I killed my 2nd monitor and reduced the res of my primary and got the same problem. I downloaded the latest driver (ATI Radeon 550) and installed it and the same again.

Mike
MP
Martijn_Pleines
Nov 9, 2008
Mike, I had a very similar issue when installing PS CS4, except I did get an error message when the progress bar reached 90%. Maybe you do not get this message because yours is an upgrade install (mine was the full version)?

Anyway, you might want to take a look at this thread that describes the problem and a link to a solution:

< http://www.adobeforums.com:80/webx?50@@.59b6c696/2!login=tru e>

Best of luck,
Martijn
M
Mylenium
Nov 9, 2008
If you never have had any of the Betas on your system, the stuff suggested on the Dreamweaver pages should have no relevance at all. Neither should Ender’s suggestions regarding dual screens. Folks, give some credit to the people at Adobe, they don’t make such obvious mistakes twice… 😉 in the specific case it seems that some directory or files from a legacy Adobe product are in a "locked" state and the installer will not get it released. If so, I recommend you check

a) TypeSupport, PDFL and Fonts under C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe

b) your Windows font directory.

Rename the possibly offending folders or move them to a different location and remove every font that belongs to an Adobe product (Minion, Myriad, Adobe Garamond and a ton of others) If this does not resolve the matter, it’s time to make use of your free support calls, which you are perfectly entitled to.

Mylenium
MB
Mike_Broomfield
Nov 9, 2008
Mylenium, how do I figure out if any them are offensive? None are dated later than 5/2007

Cheers,

Mike
E
Ender
Nov 9, 2008
@Mylenium

If you don’t know the exact answer then you don’t know what is, and what is not relevant. Also, I know Adobe a little better than you think.

So, that being said let me elaborate.

Anytime you have a screen that quickly appears and disappears and is then followed by a hang it can be caused by an off screen dialog.

EX: < http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb 403268&sliceId=1>

Now, if you think its fonts, the best way to handle it is to remove all fonts except for what is listed in this doc:

< http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=32 6402&sliceId=1>

The reality is that no one yet knows the answer to this issue. The issue cropped up for DW CS4 Beta, but most of the solutions for that don’t apply here.
M
Mylenium
Nov 10, 2008
@Ender

I’ve been dragging through the installer mud for CS4 ever since a sunny summer day in 2007, so I clearly know some of that stuff… 😉 And sorry to say so, it’s simply not the off-screen dialog problem in most of these cases (which a look at the installer logs would very likely confirm). We can discuss this further off-list, if you feel like it, so shoot me a mail to mylenium|-|at|-|mylenium.de. I sure would like to get to know some of the Photoshop-Aliens a bit better (as someone rooted in the video, compositing and 3D world) 😀

@Mike

Simply move them all out of the way or rename them and see what happens. The installer will create the folders again if needed and if e.g. you still need to run CS3, simply renaming/moving them back to their original state will still work (as long as you don’t touch any folders related to licensing or shared core functions such as Anchor Service or Linguistics). If you’re not feeling adventurous, then call support, they will provide you with more detailed explanations and hold your hand 😉

Mylenium
MB
Mike_Broomfield
Nov 10, 2008
Thanks Mylenium. I’m not home this week so I’ll have to wait until Friday I think before I can try anything else, but I’ll follow up. I have also logged the problem with Adobe Support and I’m waiting to hear from them.

Mike
MB
Mike_Broomfield
Nov 15, 2008
Back again with no progress:

I saw a tryout version of CS4 was released (mine is an upgrade but I now think they are essentially the same file) so while I was away I downloaded and installed it on another machine. Install was OK. I pulled the video card from that machine and brought it home, installed it with an updated driver using the version of CS4 I downloaded. Same problem.
Reverted to an old restore point, same problem (with the new CS4 dl). Did a temp file clean up (very little there as my machine is not on line) and checked defrag (didn’t need one, has 170gb free).
So I’ve worked through everything that support emailed me (very little other than check the kbs). The installed logs have a couple of minor confusing (to me) errors, but they appear simply to be saying that they are ignoring 64 bit version of payloads..which I assume should be expected.

I have not tried messing with fonts yet, that might be a next step, or a Windows repair, but with SP3 on my machine and the original XP disk that might not go well.

Mike
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Nov 15, 2008
At this point, I would back up everything important to another drive and bite the bullet..clean install of XP. Yeah, it’s a pain. But in the 7 days you have been messing with it, you would be up and running. The suggestions offered here so far are rather comprehensive so if it still won’t install…

You might also first run some clean up and maintenance utilities, among them CHKDSK: <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265>

A utility that looks at the Registry and removes the crap can be used as well. My favorite:

<http://www.wincleaner.com>

Good luck!
MB
Mike_Broomfield
Nov 15, 2008
I’m doing a clean install now with a full format. I ran CHKDSK and it did find a corrupted something, but I still got the same problem.

After reinstalling XP I’ll run SP3 update and the new video driver then try CS4 to begin with.

Thanks

Mike
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Nov 15, 2008
Corrupted "Something? Did it isolate that sector or leave it alone?
MB
Mike_Broomfield
Nov 15, 2008
I ran CHKDSK in fix mode after a reboot (ie not read only)…not sure what it did as I missed the finish.

I’ve just finished a full re-format of C: and re-install of XP. The video driver is updated and SP3 is 1/2 way through install so I should be ready to try CS4 again shortly.

Mike
MB
Mike_Broomfield
Nov 15, 2008
Success! No issues, installed LR 2.1 right after and that was OK (was before as well). Now I need to spend all day tomorrow getting printer and other SW up and working again…..for now I need a drink…!

Thanks everyone!

Mike
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Nov 16, 2008
Tip one for me Mike! 🙂
S
SaveSheep
Nov 17, 2008
Hey everybody

I did find a solution to this problem – do not give up so easy =)If I remember correctly, there was a similar issue installing cs3 on xp when it came out. i run vista business, with fresh installs of master suite, dreamweaver, and photoshop. Nothing would work, it kept freezing at 90% of checking system profile. My fix:

1) When the setup finishes at 90%, open task manager but do not close setup.exe yet. (ctrl+alt+delete)
2) goto start>run and type in appwiz.cpl (or open programs and features from control panel – add/remove programs in xp control panel)
3) you should see whatever you attempted to install show up in the
program list. Click on it as if you were going to uninstall it. Once it is highlighted (without running uninstall) close setup.exe using the task manager in step one then click uninstall in the program list. setup should continue as usual.

good luck!
HM
Hank_Mills
Nov 17, 2008
What a hassle…So, what you saying is the only fix to this situation is to uninstall windows? Sorry, it’s not worth it to me…I had the same issue installing CS3, so I thought that ADOBE would fix this issue with CS4, and to my surprise, when I tried installing CS4 the exact same issue came up…I tried all the "so called" "fixes" that are mentioned above and came up empty. I draw the line at reinstalling windows in order to get a piece of software to install…Shame on you ADOBE for making a installation package that uses FLASH. I’m so done with PhotoShop.
F
Freeagent
Nov 17, 2008
Hank,

I draw the line at reinstalling windows in order to get a piece of software to install…

You simply cannot accumulate stuff on your computer for years and expect it to run trouble-free for ever. Things build up, and files corrupt. It’s just a fact of life.

I’m not saying you should do it every time you install new software, but it sounds as if you categorically don’t do it, ever.
MB
Mike_Broomfield
Nov 18, 2008
Yes, wasn’t my idea of fun either 🙂 I lost 1/2 my weekend by the time I’d reinstalled, recalibrated, reprofile etc….

I lost count of the number of times I (re)installed NT 3.5/4 years ago, but this is the 1st time I’ve ever had a problem with PS and I’m a user since 3.05

I built this PC 2 years or so ago, but it’s NEVER been connected to the internet, so the only "bloat" is software I’ve installed…all related to photography.

Mike
RK
Richard_Kipin
Nov 18, 2008
Been sitting here like the rest of you trying to get CS4 Master Collection installed with the same problem. Hanging on "Checking System Profile…" for 2.5 hours. I’ve tried the clean up utility and have disabled everything to no avail. Does this mean I have to reinstall everything from scratch again like Mike? For the money it should at least tell you what is causing the problem. Can the programmers at Adobe not build in a bit of edit checking and debugging routines. I’d be fired if this sort of thing happened with the code I write.
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 18, 2008
I built this PC 2 years or so ago, but it’s NEVER been connected to the internet

That could be your answer right there!
EY
Einar_Ytrelid
Nov 18, 2008
Hi there guys.
Seems like you have som of the same problems as I experience in Vista. Seems like the thing to do is to ;
explore the dvd,right-click on the inst.exe-file,ant choose "run as administrator" Normally this is an issue in vista,but it also appears in xp running the latest service-packs… Best regards
Einar Ytrelid
MB
Mike_Broomfield
Nov 18, 2008
@John
Well, the other system that I was able to install PS4 on OK had also never been connected…..and in fact was even older .. 🙂

@Elinar

Yes I tried that, as well as trying from a new account with admin privs (and my own account already has admin privs)…none of those things worked.

@Richard
Good luck!

Mike
RX
Rex_X_Kramer
Jan 16, 2009
Hi guys,

Just downloaded the CS4 trial and I am having the exact same promblem Mike had. Have any solutions to this problem been found other than installing the OS from scratch? I would really like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks!
RS
Robert_Shomler
Jan 16, 2009
Possibly of interest in john Nack’s Adobe blog:

Notes from Adobe installer management

< http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/12/notes_from_installer_mg mt.html>
JB
Jim_Burton
Jan 28, 2009
I have an almost new Imac that has the same install problem. Anyone come up with a solution for this with an Apple computer. I have a second Imac that it installed just fine on.

Jim Burton
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jan 29, 2009
You might ask that on the Photoshop Mac forum; this one is for Windows issues.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections