RS
Posted By
Richard_Sohanchyk
Jun 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I keep getting hard freezes in PSCS. It’s driving me nuts. If I open an existing file I can work about a minute. If I copy a clean image off a CD, I can edit about 5-10 minutes. But eventually I get a hard freeze and have to hit restart botton on front of computer. I’ve reinstalled the app several times. I’ve swapped out the mouse. I’m going to try the keyboard next. This doesn’t happen with any other Adobe or non-Adobe app. I can only use PS5 on my old Performa! Takes about a week for a gaussian blur.

I use Suitcase and have tried auto-activate on and off. Doesn’t seem to make much of a difference. Maybe it takes a little longer to freeze. I currently have auto-activate off. No Norton, no Virex. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

SW
Scott_Weichert
Jun 29, 2004
have you repaired permissions recently? Done any maintenance at all/
GB
g_ballard
Jun 29, 2004
after that I would pull the ram…
<http://www.gballard.net/psd/troubleshootpurgepsd.html>
GP
Graham_Phillips
Jun 29, 2004
Did you add any RAM or other hardware recently? Have you checked the system disk and the scratch disk (if separate) for surface errors?
B
Buko
Jun 29, 2004
I’d look for a bad font.

do maintenance (Cocktail)

remove haxies

test for bad RAM
RS
Richard_Sohanchyk
Jun 29, 2004
Thanks. This is actually a machine for one of my friends but I have the same exact problem on a G3 in my office so the post is applicable. I ran cocktail. Not many haxies on this machine if any at all. There are copies of PS 5 and 6 on an external Neptune HD. I’m wondering if I should trash the apps and all prefs files. Kind of funny watching her do PS on a Performa. Like watching grass grow. But frustrating for her as she is a one man shop and the performance slowdown is hurting her.

How can you test HW other than pulling RAM. Should I turn off the external HD and see what happens? Don’t want to damage anything. This is a 450mhz G4 w/one 512 chip and 2-256mb chip. I set memory @ 75% of RAM.

Incidentally, with a hard freeze no log files are generated for PS.
GP
Graham_Phillips
Jun 29, 2004
I would be surprised if the freezes were caused by Photoshop but they might have been caused by Photoshop exercising the hardware. I had a RAM fault that would cause a freeze or kernel panic after some time had elapsed (depending on what I was doing). I pulled out the new RAM module I had installed and the freezing went away. When I inserted a second new module the freezing didn’t return so I concluded that the first new RAM module was bad.
B
Buko
Jun 29, 2004
I’ve got versions 3 thru 8 on various drives connected to the computer, so I doubt its old software. you might want to drop the RAM allocation to 60 -65% check the sratch disk maybe thats a problem.
RS
Richard_Sohanchyk
Jun 29, 2004
I’ll pull the ram next. I think the computer came with 512 and she added the 2-256. Either way. I’ll pull all and put one at a time in, play around, see what happens. Shut down. Put another chip in, etc.

Her fonts are a mess. I may have to clean out a bunch of folders. Fonts cause the weirdest problems.

Hate to have to reformat HD but that’s last resort.
B
Buko
Jun 29, 2004
Her fonts are a mess.

FAP 2.1
GB
g_ballard
Jun 29, 2004
I’m trying FAP 2.1 demo here — it seems a little self service to me (maybe that’s why it works)…
RS
Richard_Sohanchyk
Jun 30, 2004
I have FAP and have been using. I haven’t sorted my fonts yet. I can’t see half the helvetica neue family so I’m guessing the sys fonts are trumping the PS1 version. One strange thing is no help guide in FAP which surprised me. No manual and no online help. That’s new one.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 30, 2004
<< No manual and no online help.>>

Launch FAP. Now look at your top menu bar. Check-out the "Help" menu?!!

Regarding Helvetica Neue: (plus several other System .dfonts); replace them with either Type 1s or OTFs with the same name.
R
Ram
Jun 30, 2004
I can’t see half the helvetica neue family

Count your blessings. 🙂
GB
g_ballard
Jun 30, 2004
helvetica neue

I think that the problem with my font here…but too lazy to look into it.
B
Buko
Jun 30, 2004
Just use FAP to manage your system(.dfonts) fonts if FAP turns them off there is no conflict. Then remove all fonts from all the font foldersspread all over the system disk. thats it.

FAP 2.1 is so efficient I have not even made any startup sets yet.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 30, 2004
It seems that some of Apple’s utilities need some of the .dfonts. BUT you can trick them by changing those .dfonts for their PostScript/OTF equivalents.

Provided that you have an activated version of Helvetica Neue on your System, you shouldn’t run into problems with things like iCal and Address Book.
B
Buko
Jun 30, 2004
thats why I said use FAP to manage the .dfonts not remove them.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 30, 2004
I just replaced them. Once and for all. No fuss no muss — just GONE!
R
Ram
Jun 30, 2004
OFF TOPIC:

Ann,

My copy Fontographer is the old 3.x version. If you happen to have 4.1.3, would you be willing to try to re-save a Fontographer file for me? It’s a musical notation font I made for illustrating short examples, in which each glyph contains both the note and all the staff lines.

It’s the only font that FAP 2.1 insists that the bmap file is lacking a PS outline font and the PS outline font file is missing the bmap file. I’ve resaved it a bunch of times to no avail.

Click on my name to reassemble my email address to let me know.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 30, 2004
Sure! Done.
R
Ram
Jun 30, 2004
To clarify my post # 13 re Helvetica:

Those who frequent the Typography forum know that I detest the design of Helvetica (any flavor) as much as I hate zoom lenses, as the photography folks now.

So my facetious comment about counting your blessings when you can’t see Helvetica in your font menus is not an indication that the Helvetica font files cause problems.
B
Buko
Jun 30, 2004
Ramon,

try this.

I had one font that FAP wouldn’t activate and would not show up in Photoshop or ID when activated. So I just activated it in Font Book. and It worked in both apps. as long as you don’t double activate fonts Font Book can be a nice companion to FAP.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 30, 2004
The fact that FAP wouldn’t activate that font makes me think that it is probably damaged. Fontographer is a wonderful tool for re-linking the two parts of Type 1 fonts.
R
Ram
Jun 30, 2004
Buko,

Yes, that’s precisely what I do. I have it activated it by Font Book for the time being. It works fine in all applications.
R
Ram
Jun 30, 2004
Ann,

FAP puts the font components into two different folders, one for orphaned or unlinked bmap files, another one for unlinked PS outline files. It does not put it in its "damaged fonts" folders.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 30, 2004
FAP is just being pedantically precise: "unlinked" is still "damaged" in as much that It ain’t goin’ to work!

Your repaired font is on the way back to you. FAP is now accepting it and it seems to be fine in both Photoshop and Illustrator.
R
Ram
Jun 30, 2004
Thanks a million, Ann. I’ll try it right away.
RS
Richard_Sohanchyk
Jul 1, 2004
<< No manual and no online help. Launch FAP. Now look at your top menu
bar. Check-out the "Help" menu?!!

I did that and got a message "no help available for FontAgent Pro". So I assumed the app doesn’t come with instructions or a manual.

Buko – sorry for send unsolicited email to you regarding FAP without checking w/you on the forums first to see if it would be okay.
B
Buko
Jul 1, 2004
Richard email me again I don’t see your email
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 1, 2004
Richard:

Do you have version 2.1?
In my Help menu, I have "FontAgent Pro Help" followed by "OnLine Support". The former gives full instructions.
"OnLine Support" should take you to FAP’s website where you will find a link to their FAQs.
<http://www.insidersoftware.com/ice_faqs_.html>

Maybe you just have the free trial version and perhaps it doesn’t install the Help file?

I would try re-installing FAP 2.1
RS
Richard_Sohanchyk
Jul 1, 2004
I’ll download the upgrade and see what happens. Buko: thanks. I’m not busy so I’m going to clean those font folders and see what happens. I’ll contact you at some point. I had trouble managing the .dfnts the first time so I deactivated that feature. I’ll try again.
RS
Richard_Sohanchyk
Jul 1, 2004
I got the upgrade and now I have the online help. I liked green for activated fonts better than the new purple. Green means go everywhere in the world.
R
Ram
Jul 1, 2004
Green can also mean unripe or not ready yet. 😉
RS
Richard_Sohanchyk
Aug 10, 2004
After a month of hard freezes reformatted the HD yesterday and installed CS only. No other apps. I worked for about 5 minutes and the HD froze again. Hardware specs: Power Mac G4 (AGP Graphics) model, 450 mhzG4, single processor (my mistake), 1GB RAM, 1MB L2 cache. Running 10.2.8.
R
Ram
Aug 10, 2004
Richard,

If your machine locks up completely, that’s a definite and unmistakable sign of bad hardware. No ifs, ands or buts. Bad RAM, bad drive, bad connection, bad cables, in order of likelihood. You need to ferret out the culprit(s) by a process of elimination. No way around that.
CW
c_watts
Aug 11, 2004
Just a guess, but what card are you using to talk to your disks? Do you have an Adaptec SCSI card? I have had a lot of problems with these in Os X.
chris

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections